Amenity change on Nov 1, 2019

rheasue38

To my post # 200 today - I just went to the /oceaniaclub reference. It offered two lists "before 11/1/2019" and "after 11/1/2019" (So per these tables only, I assume, if you embark on 11/1/2019 neither table applies.) However the new brochure I referenced said the new rewards enhancements applies to cruises embarking "on of after 11/1/2019".

The new after 11/1/2019 DOES note the custom air fee waiver from gold up still will be there.

Please check this for yourself.

I received two days ago a 2108-2019 voyages brochure entitled "Enticing Discoveries" in the mail from Oceania.

Page 9 of this page labeled "Oceania Club" - "Your World of Rewards has (to the best of my knowledge) the first written example of "Oceania Club Membership Rewards" changes that I (me personally and direct from Oceania) have seen.

I compared it to a similar "Oceania Club Membership rewards table in an earlier mailing of "2019-2020 Collection" which, to the best of my knowledge ( we are Silver level now) had current in effect rewards.

At the bottom of the Gold colored table box it said "Please note the latest enhancements to Oceana Club Membership Privileges will go into effect on voyages embarking on or after November 1, 2019"

My comparison showed at least the following:

1. Decreases in benefits Prior then after 10/31/2019 then Increase<decrease>

shipboard credits

Bronze $ 200 $ 100 <$100>

Silver 400 250 <150>

Gold 500 400 <100>

Platinum 600 500 <150>

Diamond 1000 750 <250>

President's 1000 1000 0

2 Complementary Custom

air waiver Now gone

value was 350 0 <350>

3. Prepaid Gratuities - unchanged

4. Several other items not discussed

or like internet service - unclear

"See OceaniaCruises.com/oceaniaclub for details"

Sorry if any of this turns out to be wrong, but I tried to compare the newest table to a prior recent table

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Just one minor correction - the OBC for Plat decreases by “only” $100 (not $150)

Seriously?

The mass lines are all about downgrading and reducing the value to the consumer.

Now Oceania, and the premium lines, will likely follow.

Well.....it was 3 years between cruises before we went on Marina in September 2017.

There is nothing scheduled now because I am fed up with the ever reduced value of cruising along with the continual bull of flying.

My loot $ can be easily allocated elsewhere, Oceania, it is called customized land vacations, a higher end house, higher end vehicles.

Cruise lines, get over yourself.

The reduction in extras probably directly related to the fact that they dont have to offer as many incentives because of the demand. Good old supply and demand. Why discount when your customer base is going strong ?? After all it is a business and is all about making money rather than giving it away. You could form an investment cooperative and buy yourself your own ship for the members and and everyone pays a monthly fee sort of interval ownership.. I think the World ran that way.

I totally agree with your allocation that there are, ( God forgive me), other ways and options of enjoying ones self rather than cruise trips.

I can not imagine how people can take 30 , 40, 50 cruises I mean that has to mean going over and over to the same places, seeing the same stuff and on the same ships.

Even with going on different lines, would it not get boring your 30th time sailing on the same ship/line. Instead of exciting and discovering things in anticipation it must some time begin to become routine and mundane.. I mean there are no surprises left , the exception being ones travel companions which can be very enjoyable.

There are only so many oceans and ports in the world Conversely , ships are limited to travel on the water and there are a lot of wonderful things to see where ships can not go. What cruise would you take to visit Carlsbad Caverns or Grindelwald or Yosemite ??? As for me I have pretty much run out of places that I would want to see by sea after 15 cruises...even Tahiti looses its charm the 5th time around.

Edited by Hawaiidan

The new after 11/1/2019 DOES note the custom air fee waiver from gold up still will be there.

Please check this for yourself.

So does the brochure you received have the deviations or not? I'm not clear if you're referring to the brochure or the website.

You didn't mention the spa treatments in post #200. That is what has gone away, not the air deviations.

I don't have that brochure yet. Anyone have a PDF of it?

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Just one minor correction - the OBC for Plat decreases by “only” $100 (not $150)

Sounds like a decrease to me, not an enhancement. Would like to know who writes their Fake News in Miami. Should get a big raise if this works. :(:(:(

Thanks guys but that is not the one that UDspud mentioned. I have the one you guys posted, and saw it on the 15th of Apr. He said;

"2108-2019 voyages brochure entitled "Enticing Discoveries"

Thanks to Paulchili, post # 202 for catching my math/or typing amount error.

I checked the website after comparing the two brochures mailed to me.

The brochure with the 11/2/2019 and after (enhancement?) data (If I remember properly) did not mention the custom air waiver, but the website did (hence post #201)

I advise using the website and compare to future mailings and emails. Note the website uses the "all from the prior level plus the current level" approach so get could be hard to check specific amenities.

Sorry for any confusion, I probably should have waited another week before attempting this.

As for me I have pretty much run out of places that I would want to see by sea after 15 cruises.

I've only had 16 cruises, but still love it as much as ever! I enjoy the ships, the sea and the relaxation! I doubt if I'll run out of places to go. I enjoy land trips too, but are lots more work and tiring...I hate packing and unpacking so much.

I've only had 16 cruises, but still love it as much as ever! I enjoy the ships, the sea and the relaxation! I doubt if I'll run out of places to go. I enjoy land trips too, but are lots more work and tiring...I hate packing and unpacking so much.

We're with you. We've been on 21 cruises in the past 6 years and plan on cruising for as long as our health holds out. We also enjoy land vacations in our pickup camper, but cruising is definitely a lot easier and a lot more fun!

• 3 months later...
There is really no comparing Oceania to Crystal as Crystal is just better at everything - except for maybe one thing, itineraries. Since they only have 2 ships, the Symphony and the Serenity at this moment in time other than their river vessels, their itinerary offerings are just not as diverse as O's. But as far as enjoying yourself on the cruise, especially on sea days, you will definitely enjoy your time on a Crystal cruise should you decide to make the move. I personally can't wait to do our next cruise with them in Apr 2019. Talk about being spoiled on a cruise! They definitely know how to elate the customer!

I am in this camp. Anxiously waiting for the next Crystal Ship to be launched. I want for nothing. We sign for nothing. And there are none of the revenue games onboard with upcharges for everything. I could have done Vintage Room, but we did a wine dinner recently. :confused:We had a $750 OBC on our last cruise. We needed no excursions, live in a resort so we do spa at home now. We walked off with a -0- bill and I was forced to go shopping and buy a handbag and some makeup.

The only thing that would put me back on an Oceania Cruise would be a must do itinerary.

Originally posted by Ken the cruiser There is really no comparing Oceania to Crystal as Crystal is just better at everything - except for maybe one thing, itineraries. Since they only have 2 ships, the Symphony and the Serenity at this moment in time other than their river vessels, their itinerary offerings are just not as diverse as O's. But as far as enjoying yourself on the cruise, especially on sea days, you will definitely enjoy your time on a Crystal cruise should you decide to make the move. I personally can't wait to do our next cruise with them in Apr 2019. Talk about being spoiled on a cruise! They definitely know how to elate the customer!

I am in this camp. Anxiously waiting for the next Crystal Ship to be launched. I want for nothing. We sign for nothing. And there are none of the revenue games onboard with upcharges for everything. I could have done Vintage Room, but we did a wine dinner recently. :confused:We had a $750 OBC on our last cruise. We needed no excursions, live in a resort so we do spa at home now. We walked off with a -0- bill and I was forced to go shopping and buy a handbag and some makeup.

The only thing that would put me back on an Oceania Cruise would be a must do itinerary.

Of course, both of you are entitled to your opinion as am I. I feel about Crystal the same way you feel about Oceania - only a unique itinerary would get me back on Crystal (if interested you can read my rather long and detailed review of my Crystal experience - no need to repeat things here).

To each their own - Vive la Diference :)

I'm with Kathy. I am totally crystallized. It's not about the alcohol. We are not drinkers. It's about the amazing on board experience and the service. We who never go to a show on Oceania went to one or even two a night on Crystal and we never missed a lecture. It was wow!

Two of our Oceania couple-friends are joining us on Serenity in November. I raved and they agreed to try it.

I give Oceania a slight edge on the food and the cabins (we book a top suite but they are small) but for us it is not about the food or the cabin. The entire Crystal experience outshines Oceania in my opinion.

We have two more Oceania cruises booked because our cruise friends whom we adore convinced us to go. The good company trumps everything.

With so many repeat cruisers something had to give

Now they could cut costs or make more $ & continue with the current loyalty perks by

Doing away with O life

make Specialty restaurants pay to use (like other lines)

limit the number of drinks in the Prestige Package to 10-12 a day pp & cap the price to drinks under $15

limit lobster to 1 night a week (like other lines)

charge for use of the spa deck for everyone (like other lines)

enforce the Wine policy for bring bottles onboard & ban alcohol brought onboard (more revenue in the bars)

lower the quality of the ingredients they use ..who really needs French butter they could buy USA brands

The list could go on to save $$ to fund the Oceania club Benefits

Personally I would prefer they did not cut the onboard food & service quality & how much OBC do you really need ??

JMO as always

off to get the bunker gear ;)

Not at all. The grats from your T/A have nothing to do with the amenities change from O. Viking has nothing to do with that. Just saying at the rate O is going that they (Viking)will eat their lunch very quickly. Too bad as we love O but they have to wake up and see that the changes are bad for their customers and will also be bad for them. :(:(

Honestly except that Viking is newer it is nothing like O but would love the world to think so.

If Viking eats O's lunch they might not like their own as much ...A step up from sitting on hard Nordic modern art chairs salivating over their pickled herring and sardine sandwiches and cod roe.....

^More ships.... that a lot of sardine's The more people sail viking then more they, I think, will value the O alternative....

Honestly except that Viking is newer it is nothing like O but would love the world to think so.

If Viking eats O's lunch they might not like their own as much ...A step up from sitting on hard Nordic modern art chairs salivating over their pickled herring and sardine sandwiches and cod roe.....

^More ships.... that a lot of sardine's The more people sail viking then more they, I think, will value the O alternative....

Just my opinion. It will take some time to see what happens.

Just my opinion. It will take some time to see what happens.

Just an opinion too, If Viking is expanding to 12 ships they will cease to be an experience and become a common commodity just like their river cruise have become. Good Marketing turn your river traffic to ocean ships and your ocean traffic to river traffic..

This thread was moved forward regarding amenity changes as of 11/1/19......nothing to do with comparisons of "O" to Crystal or Viking.

Maybe amenity changes are now yesterday’s news and all that needed to be said about it was already said (in several threads)?

It is what it is and will not change with more complaining about it. We can accept it or move on to another line - like some here are “threatening” to do. :)