Amateur Radios on NCL?

LTCSZ

I have been taking my Yaesu VX-7 handhelds for years on my NCL cruises with no problems. The crew can't tell the difference between HF and the Walmart walkie talkies, which were prevalent years back. I used 2 meter simplex on land, and found that 440 worked great in getting through the metal bulkheads. 5 watts was more than sufficient.

Alas, the FCC says "don't do that".

§97.11

(a) The installation and operation of an amateur station on a ship or aircraft must be approved by the master of the ship or pilot in command of the aircraft.

Not that they're likely to issue a Notice of Apparent Liability, but that not the point, is it?

AI6GF

I have been taking my Yaesu VX-7 handhelds for years on my NCL cruises with no problems. The crew can't tell the difference between HF and the Walmart walkie talkies, which were prevalent years back. I used 2 meter simplex on land, and found that 440 worked great in getting through the metal bulkheads. 5 watts was more than sufficient.

Just a note, but international law requires that any radio operating on other than UHF/VHF frequencies must be listed on the ship's international radiotelephony certificate. Therefore, your radios working on the HF band should have been reported to the Captain, for inclusion, even temporarily, in the ship's inventory, and for clearance that it would not interfere with any of the ship's HF radio functions.

Just a note, but international law requires that any radio operating on other than UHF/VHF frequencies must be listed on the ship's international radiotelephony certificate. Therefore, your radios working on the HF band should have been reported to the Captain, for inclusion, even temporarily, in the ship's inventory, and for clearance that it would not interfere with any of the ship's HF radio functions.

CHENG?

2m and 75cm are VHF and UHF, respectively, so the Master is safe on that account, but

yea and verily somebody's gonna want to check for interference and harmonics.

AI6GF

CHENG?

2m and 75cm are VHF and UHF, respectively, so the Master is safe on that account, but

yea and verily somebody's gonna want to check for interference and harmonics.

AI6GF

Certainly not a radio expert, I was going with the posters reference to HF radios. I guess the "440" is MHz, then? That is pretty close to a lot of marine UHF pre-set frequencies (I think we tend to operate around 460+- at my company, but each company does order pre-set radio frequencies, and this may cause some interference.

Certainly not a radio expert, I was going with the posters reference to HF radios. I guess the "440" is MHz, then? That is pretty close to a lot of marine UHF pre-set frequencies (I think we tend to operate around 460+- at my company, but each company does order pre-set radio frequencies, and this may cause some interference.

Yes, 440 is MHz. Actually he was likely referring a whole band around 440, aka "70cm".

The ITU (the folks who set the international radio regs) allocates frequencies to various uses, so

your 460MHz± is safe from properly-tuned 70cm amateur transmissions. I've never brought homebrew

aboard, but for store-bought the inspection has been for obvious mods (which hams are allowed

to do) and loose or corroded connections (for which hams are supposed to have better sense).

Edited by Haboob

I just back from Barcelona after a transatlantic crossing on the very tired "Star" (now on upgrade at France). I spot few people using sat phone at back of the ship. Surprise me because I tough was forbidden. Anyway, next time I gonna carry my Iridium Igo... ;)

People love to break any law one time they're out borders...

PROHIBITED ITEMS LIST

The safety and security of our guests and crew is our number one priority. The following items are prohibited on-board vessels. These items will be confiscated and not transported aboard. When an item is determined to be illegal the appropriate authorities will be informed.

• 25. Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers

I just back from Barcelona after a transatlantic crossing on the very tired "Star" (now on upgrade at France). I spot few people using sat phone at back of the ship. Surprise me because I tough was forbidden. Anyway, next time I gonna carry my Iridium Igo... ;)

People love to break any law one time they're out borders...

Call me paranoid (I'll even answer), but I suspect cruise lines are sharing worries about people

onboard leaking a ship's position for some sort of Achille Lauro redux, even if they turn off their

cell tower, AIS system, navigation lights, and otherwise darken ship. Check the conversation I

reported upthread.

Better to stick to nuisance offenses like smuggling adult beverages aboard. ;)

Call me paranoid (I'll even answer), but I suspect cruise lines are sharing worries about people

onboard leaking a ship's position for some sort of Achille Lauro redux, even if they turn off their

cell tower, AIS system, navigation lights, and otherwise darken ship. Check the conversation I

reported upthread.

Better to stick to nuisance offenses like smuggling adult beverages aboard. ;)

Interesting... I would check about this... anyway, you can any ship position by marinetraffic.com or vesseltraffic.com or other thousand of webs who pick AIS signals...

Cut AIS signal for a commercial vessel on the sea is illegal, same for mandatory nav lights.. but I would take at look.. ;);)

Interesting... I would check about this... anyway, you can any ship position by marinetraffic.com or vesseltraffic.com or other thousand of webs who pick AIS signals...

Cut AIS signal for a commercial vessel on the sea is illegal, same for mandatory nav lights.. but I would take at look.. ;);)

Sun Princess did that for 10 days straight in Aug '17, and had mandatory passenger anti-piracy

drills with pax evacuating weather decks and outside cabins ... about the time I had that "No

way!" conversation upthread.

"[E]xcept when its operation would compromise the safety or security of the vessel or a security

incident is imminent" .

-- https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=AISRequirementsRev

I can't find the reference for nav lights, but I presume there is similar for them.

• 1 month later...

I would like to use (less than 5 Watt) Amateur (HAM) Radio in the 144-148MHz and/or 440-450 MHz range. As a licenced US amateur I can operate in international waters and in many countries that have reciprocal operating agreements with the US. Other countries offer licencing for a modest charge. Especially the Cayman Islands. I understand that it's my responsibility to be legal in local jurisdictions. Having said that, I understand that all those (apparently legal FRS walkie-talkies) are not prohibited. (They're annoying on a ship.)

Anyhow, the use cases that I would consider are: (1) onboard from on-deck to other hams on nearby ships on the international (ham-only) calling frequencies of 146.52 or 446.00 MHz. (2) personal use to contact ham friends in foreign countries where I am permitted. This would be a lot of fun and should not impact the ship operation in any way.

Any advice on how to pursue this with NCL?

I would like to use (less than 5 Watt) Amateur (HAM) Radio in the 144-148MHz and/or 440-450 MHz range. As a licenced US amateur I can operate in international waters and in many countries that have reciprocal operating agreements with the US. Other countries offer licencing for a modest charge. Especially the Cayman Islands. I understand that it's my responsibility to be legal in local jurisdictions. Having said that, I understand that all those (apparently legal FRS walkie-talkies) are not prohibited. (They're annoying on a ship.)

Anyhow, the use cases that I would consider are: (1) onboard from on-deck to other hams on nearby ships on the international (ham-only) calling frequencies of 146.52 or 446.00 MHz. (2) personal use to contact ham friends in foreign countries where I am permitted. This would be a lot of fun and should not impact the ship operation in any way.

Any advice on how to pursue this with NCL?

You would need permission from the captain of the ship to operate. This can be very hit and miss. If on shore, and there is a reciprocal agreement in place, or you have permission from the host country to operate, you are free to do so. Biggest hurdle is getting permission from the Captain. 73’s.... KC2JCD....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let’s keep it simple. Follow the rules. NO HAM RADIOS.

The safety and security of our guests and crew is our number one priority. The following items are prohibited on-board vessels. These items will be confiscated and not transported aboard. When an item is determined to be illegal the appropriate authorities will be informed.

• 1. All illegal narcotics/drugs. (Including Marijuana prescribed for medical purposes and other items used as drug paraphernalia. This includes Hookah Pipes).
  • 2. All firearms including replicas, imitations, non-firing weapons, starting pistols and their component

• 6. All explosives, component parts (i.e. detonators) including imitation explosives and devices
  • 7. gas guns, tear gas sprays, mace, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable

• 25. Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers

• 2 months later...

Hi and thank you for having me.

This is my first post/reply in the group. I see a lot of people stating to get the Captains permission.

I did not see in the rules where it said it was okay with the Captains permission.

Can someone point out in the NCL rules where it contradicts the rules and says it is okay if you have the Captains permission?

Otherwise I am going to assume no ham radio. (I took an HT on Carnivasl in Dec. 2017. their rules said it was okay.)

not that I am all that active. just got on the air last night for the first time in 2 months. I am going for the cruise, not the radio.

• 3 months later...
21 minutes ago, Sky111 said:

Can someone tell me why a portable Satellite phone is not permitted?

Aside from it being number 25 on the prohibited items list shown at https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items, no.  If you want an actual answer you would most likely need to speak with NCL directly.  Only they could explain their decision on making the item prohibited. My guesses would all be just speculative.

6 hours ago, Sky111 said:

Quoting myself from upthread, May 7th:

The Carnival family used to permit ham radios to operate aboard. You got a polite

letter in you stateroom at embarkation asking you to bring your stuff to the Purser

for inspection and approval. If you were on Princess (Bermudian flagged) you also

had to show a operating permit from Hamilton, usually emailed from RAB.bm.

That all changed last year about the same time Sun Princess darkened ship each

night and practiced evacuating outside cabins as they tip-toed past the Horn of

Africa. Ham radios are now "prohibited items", and even phoning the person who

had arranged permissions 6 months before it was "That was then, this is now,

I'm embarrassed and very sorry, but no way, no how, period".

Connect the dots. And take guidance from the resultant picture.

AI6GF

Edited by Haboob

9 hours ago, Sky111 said:

This thread started:  Posted May 9, 2016

and has been hashed rehashed but there has not been a reason posted for the Satellite phone restrictions

other than a license permit Captain notification permission requirement.

So I would guess that unless someone gets those permissions use of the S phone is not to be.

Well maybe with an exception for Department of State government Diplomats - need to know and use.

Just like there is a questionable issue about using cell phones in flight on airplanes there maybe reasonable

questions about unauthorized radio devices interfering with the ships navigation.

On 6/15/2018 at 1:57 AM, BirdTravels said:

25. Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers

Guess I can't take one of these on board, then....:classic_wink:

https://www.breitling.com/us-en/watches/professional/emergency/V7632522-BC46-156S-V20DSA-4/

I once had my simple Bearcat scanner confiscated while passing thru security at the Manhattan cruise terminal.   When I got on board, I was directed to the security room to retrieve it, after the crew verified that it was only a receiver.   Since that one time, I have brought it thru security a half dozen more times, and they never even batted an eye...

I like to listen in on the marine channel during docking, pilot's boarding, etc...

On 5/9/2016 at 6:03 PM, LTCSZ said:

I was thinking of taking my amateur radio handheld radio on my cruise to the US Virgin Islands and making some contacts with local amateurs...Has anyone had experience using amateur radios on NCL? I would not use it while the ship is underway, only while in USVI...It is not capable of transmitting on any ship radio frequencies...Any experiences would be appreciated!

Steve

Not allowed. 

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

25. Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers

some may suggest just bringing it and see what happens but why start your cruise by breaking the rules.  Leave your radio at home.  NCL has answered your question.  No answer here will change their reply.