Coke or Pepsi?

MyTMo777

People actually drink Pepsi?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This may come as a shock to you Flatbush, but there are a lot of us that prefer Pepsi over Coca-Cola.

Carnival - Coke

They also have Dr Pepper when sailing out of Texas

The Carnival Corp. has a long-standing contract with Coca-Cola, so it's only natural that all of their brands (Carnival, Holland America, etc.) sell Coke products. Despite what many believe, Dr. Pepper is a separate entity and is not owned by Pepsi or Coke.

People actually drink Pepsi?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes. If I have a choice, I will choose Pepsi, but only the diet version. I am not a Pepsi or Coke snob and don't insult people who prefer the other. I will drink Coke if that is all that is available. I just order a "cola" and drink whatever they serve. They are more alike than different.

Many people prefer Coke over Pepsi because of the gluten issue.

Are you being serious? Preferring Coke because of gluten? I have worked in the health care industry all my adult life, and now work for a leading hospital and research organization, and I can say with conviction that the so called "gluten issue" is just another health fad. In a decade, it will have died out. We didn't concern ourselves with gluten when I was growing up and somehow we all survived just fine. Up until about a decade ago, maybe 1 in 2500 people worldwide might have some minor issues with gluten intolerance. Now, suddenly, it is more like 1 in 120 in the US that claim they have issues - which is still less than 1% of the population. It is just another example of people responding to what they read or hear and now suddenly they have the same problem. Considering all the diet fads, prescribed and over the counter drugs, and elective procedures that people are depending on today, the US is a country of hypochondriacs. The vast majority of people do not actually have the health problems they think they have. Fine with me, however, as it keeps me employed.

Edited by PTMary

Are you being serious? Preferring Coke because of gluten? I have worked in the health care industry all my adult life, and now work for a leading hospital and research organization, and I can say with conviction that the so called "gluten issue" is just another health fad. In a decade, it will have died out. We didn't concern ourselves with gluten when I was growing up and somehow we all survived just fine. Up until about a decade ago, maybe 1 in 2500 people worldwide might have some minor issues with gluten intolerance. Now, suddenly, it is more like 1 in 120 in the US that claim they have issues - which is still less than 1% of the population. It is just another example of people responding to what they read or hear and now suddenly they have the same problem. Considering all the diet fads, prescribed and over the counter drugs, and elective procedures that people are depending on today, the US is a country of hypochondriacs. The vast majority of people do not actually have the health problems they think they have. Fine with me, however, as it keeps me employed.

I brought it up because my sister does have celiac disease along with lymphoma. She also has issue with dairy and red meats. In her case, it is not imagined but medically documented.

Coke does not contain gluten, Pepsi does in its caramel coloring.

I prefer Coke but will also drink Pepsi (the one with real sugar)...so I buy whichever is on sale at my market at the time....When on a cruise it doesn't make any difference to us.

I brought it up because my sister does have celiac disease along with lymphoma. She also has issue with dairy and red meats. In her case, it is not imagined but medically documented.

I did not mean to disparage your sister if she has truly been diagnosed with Celiac disease. My apologies if I came off that way. This is a real disease, but considered to be rare, afflicting less than 1 in 2500 people, most of them very minor and requiring very little change in diet. Your wording "many people" is what I was responding to. That implied that a large number of people avoided Pepsi due to gluten issues, which I don't believe is anywhere near factual. All but a very tiny fraction of the population can safely drink Pepsi without gluten issues.

I checked with our resident experts after reading your post. Pepsi has a nearly indiscernible amount of gluten in it, certainly not enough to affect even the worst victims of Celiac disease unless large amounts are digested in a short amount of time, amounts that are very unlikely for all but the most addicted to this beverage.

One other comment I would like to make: intolerance to gluten is a mostly self diagnosed symptom. Most people decide they have it not because they actually suffer from it, but because it is the latest trend in dieting and they want the attention that they get from making a fuss about what they eat when dining out with others. This is a well documented physiological behavior that appears to have reached it's peak and is slowly losing appeal.

Edited by PTMary

Oops.

The Pepsi- Cola Company said there is no gluten in any carbonated soft drink produced by the company in North America.

What pops are gluten free?

This includes Coca-Cola Classic, Diet Coke, Coke Zero, and most other Coke beverages. Pepsi is gluten-free, as are all PepsiCo products such as Diet Pepsi. Additional gluten-free sodas include 7UP, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, major brands of root beer (Barq's, Mug, A&W), and Fanta.

http://urbantastebud.com/gluten-free-soda-list-ultimate-guide/