"Big U" Update

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Susan Gibbs holiday newsletter promises an update early next year on efforts to secure a home for the ship with an eye toward development. These negotiations remain confidential...

One can only hope that something will come of this latest effort. I'm afraid it is all too familiar a pattern with the SSUS: ongoing proposals and negotiations which cannot yet be publicized due to confidentiality agreements. Then the investors/developers don't think it will be financially sustainable and they withdraw, leaving the ship back to where things started.

I had a chance to chat with Stephen Payne last week and brought up the subject of the SSUS and her single-shaft rudder as the possible Achilles Heel in thwarting her return to service. FWIW, he said that he would have put pods on the ship! I asked if her hull form would have made this feasible and he said yes. That of course is she said/he said, and it's a moot point since Crystal has decided not to return her to service.

Edited by BlueRiband

I had a chance to chat with Stephen Payne last week and brought up the subject of the SSUS and her single-shaft rudder as the possible Achilles Heel in thwarting her return to service. FWIW, he said that he would have put pods on the ship! I asked if her hull form would have made this feasible and he said yes. That of course is she said/he said, and it's a moot point since Crystal has decided not to return her to service.

As any contractor will tell you, you can build anything you want, it all depends on how much you want to spend. I am not a naval architect, but even given the QM2's hull form with 4 pods (which required a skeg to be installed due to lateral instability, so it more closely resembles the SSUS after hull), I still believe that a major redesign of the stern section would have been required to install pods. Would it be feasible to redesign the stern for pods? Yes. Would it make economic sense? Can't say, but the stern section was the major stumbling block for Crystal. You can't tell me that the study done by Crystal did not address the possibility of podded propulsion.

After making such a huge public announcement I'm sure Crystal explored all possbile engineering options. The real reason for killing the project was probably astronomical cost that would have exceeded that of a newbuild. They are afterall a leisure time business and not a maritime heritage charity.

After making such a huge public announcement I'm sure Crystal explored all possbile engineering options. The real reason for killing the project was probably astronomical cost that would have exceeded that of a newbuild. They are afterall a leisure time business and not a maritime heritage charity.
Good point. I wonder how long they may have kicked around the possible pod solution? True, the ship would have to pay her own way, well after any sold out return voyage.

Sent from my SM-T818V using Forums mobile app

Sadly, the ship seems to be running out of its nine lives. Driving by her South Philly berth, I'm always amazed she is still there.

Yeah, I think after the Crystal gift and the latest round of fundraising is exhausted, it's finally going to scrap. Consider the fact that the loose monetary policy and prolonged low interest rates of the Federal Reserve (and all global central banks, really) have created a massive speculative bubble and rampant commercial development over the past several years. And yet the ship still can't find a suitor even in these ideal conditions. It just doesn't bode well.

• 2 weeks later...
Any word on what they are going to do with her?

Sailed on the ss United States in the mid 60's as a student going from England to study in Boston. Wonderful voyage especially as I managed to snag a First Class cabin. Doubtful that the ship will sail again. Too costly to repair and upgrade. Pity...but...one can never tell. Here's hoping...

The last I heard, and I think it was two years ago, that a luxury line - Crystal? - had an option to buy it. After preliminary investigation, the line declined because of heavy environmental costs. Haven't heard anything about it since.

I sailed her in August, 1962, and would loved to have seen the ship rehabilitated. It was just too costly, however. I suppose it will be scrapped.

The major costs were to meet SOLAS requirements (mainly two rudders or azipods instead of the big single rudder), rather than environmental.

There is a large thread on this ship in the "what happened to" forum, not sure why this was started on every forum.

The last I heard, and I think it was two years ago, that a luxury line - Crystal? - had an option to buy it. After preliminary investigation, the line declined because of heavy environmental costs. Haven't heard anything about it since.

I sailed her in August, 1962, and would loved to have seen the ship rehabilitated. It was just too costly, however. I suppose it will be scrapped.

Yup, first NCL and then Crystal had big plans for her, but they didn't pan out so, unless someone wants to invest beaucoup bucks in her, there are two options left; scrap her, and/or sink her somewhere as an artificial reef

• 2 weeks later...

OMG, is this still going on?

I was peripherally involved with the SS United States back in the 80s.

There was a deal to do a refit at Bethlehem Steel Shipyard in Baltimore. But the union initially agreed to a lower hourly rate, then decided to not accept it. So it was going to go to Mobile.

• 3 weeks later...