Anyone interested in planning from the ground up for 2021?

BermudaBound2014

Following along this thread as we're tinkering with a WC for 2021 or 2022 after we retire. The little I've researched so far, looks like we would go either with HAL or Princess. We like HAL already and are doing our first Princess this Christmas. :)

"Trying out" Queen Mary 2 in July to get a feel for whether it's a good fit for us. We have an adult son who will come with us on the WC. He uses a wheelchair, so that will be an important part of the investigation. Still thinking about 2021, which means we may have to have a deposit ready by next March, if Cunard releases the 2021 itinerary on the same schedule as the 2020. That seems so soon...

Following along this thread as we're tinkering with a WC for 2021 or 2022 after we retire. The little I've researched so far, looks like we would go either with HAL or Princess. We like HAL already and are doing our first Princess this Christmas. :)

Just be sure that you are comparing "apples-to-apples." Obviously the world cruises that are the cheapest are not including very many "perks" and likely have many sea days compared to port days.

When I say "perks", I'm meaning things that you will likely have to spend money on if they're not included in your cruise fare, such as....airfare, hotel the night before embarkation, luggage delivery service, visas for certain countries you'll visit, internet, laundry, and medical care. Other things that might be included and you might want are....prepaid gratuities, special events put on for the world cruisers, onboard credit, spa credit, shore excursions or a drink package.

When I was researching which cruiseline to take for our world cruise, I added the value of the extras we needed or wanted to the base fare on cruiselines that didn't include them. Then I could really compare cruise prices accurately. Some of the higher priced fares actually cost less per day when the total value was considered.

We also wanted more port days than sea days and wanted to travel east-to-west (gain rather than lose time). If you do good research, I'm sure you'll find a trip that will give a lifetime of memories.

Great thread! I will follow and glean all the wisdom as we are researching the same (definitely part of the fun!) though probably won’t be able to go until 2022 or 2023....trying to be sure our youngest “adult” kids will be self-sustaining before we hit the seas for some serious “us” time. Also want to make some test runs on exact ships we’re considering and weird as it seems in some notoriously rough seas to be sure we can handle rougher than we’ve experienced before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have not done so, read Pete's blog, http://www.theinsidecabin.com/ . He and his wife did the WV on Amsterdam in 2016 and will be doing the 2018 also on HAL. At the top of his webpage click on "World Cruise Reference". He gave lots of good information.

One thing about booking early is that prices can rise. For the 2018 HAL WV I have a DA cabin. Earlier this year the price had increased by $10,000. On the other hand, I have seen some years where there were good sales.

Thanks so much! I found his 3 part very detailed series on the cost of a WC, and his spreadsheet and I think that’s the most informative article I’ve come across! Excellent referral....thank you!!!

• 1 month later...
If you have not done so, read Pete's blog, http://www.theinsidecabin.com/ . He and his wife did the WV on Amsterdam in 2016 and will be doing the 2018 also on HAL. At the top of his webpage click on "World Cruise Reference". He gave lots of good information.

One thing about booking early is that prices can rise. For the 2018 HAL WV I have a DA cabin. Earlier this year the price had increased by $10,000. On the other hand, I have seen some years where there were good sales.

Thanks for sharing this website. So much useful information on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh shoot. . .this must be a booking site or something so I can’t post the link (sorry, administrators) in any event, just search for allthingscruise. A comprehensive list of extant world cruises plus other info about world cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A caveat on the Indian eVisa: An e-Visa is also valid for those disembarking a cruise in Cochin, Goa and Mangalore as long as their ship has not visited another port in India. Otherwise all passengers on ocean-going ships that are visiting India must have a full Tourist visa even if they do not intend to go ashore.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh shoot. . .this must be a booking site or something so I can’t post the link (sorry, administrators) in any event, just search for allthingscruise. A comprehensive list of extant world cruises plus other info about world cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great “non” link ;-). Thanks for sharing. I have never used this site- lots of info!! Thank you agajn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
For some reason, I'm not getting notified when this thread has new postings :(. Anyone have an idea how to fix that?

I've been spreadsheeting prices like a mad woman. I'm tracking 2019 and 2020 right now so that I can attempt to identify the sweet spot for booking in 2021. So far, not much changing in prices at all. Even the last minute pries for 2018 weren't skewed that much.

I've also been reading some world cruise blogs. Gets me so excited!! Does anyone have favorite blogs they would care to share?

Thanks again for all those along the ride :)

I get notifications for every thread I’m subscribed to, participated in, and I swear I get notifications every time someone posts to any of the six cruise lines forums I follow. Plus I get emails.

I wish I remembered how I did that so 1. I could share with you, and 2. I could turn them off!!! This is such a busy website. My phone “dings” all day long. It’s kinda embarrassing at work. Muting my phone doesn’t stop them.

I know. First world problems.

I get notifications for every thread I’m subscribed to, participated in, and I swear I get notifications every time someone posts to any of the six cruise lines forums I follow. Plus I get emails.

I wish I remembered how I did that so 1. I could share with you, and 2. I could turn them off!!! This is such a busy website. My phone “dings” all day long. It’s kinda embarrassing at work. Muting my phone doesn’t stop them.

I know. First world problems.

To delete your subscriptions. In the top right of the screen you will find your user name and a down arrow. Select the down arrow. Select "Delete Subscriptions" then scroll down to the list of your subscripted threads. In the box on the right select the ones you want to delete, then scroll down and select delete.

• 1 month later...
It's not just the number of sea versus port days it is what is offered on those sea days in the way of activities and entertainment.

Also it's not just the number of ports and not only which ports but how much time you have and if there are any overnights in places you desire.

Yes, I agree. And there are some ports that are always nice to return to.

Regent's 2021 WC was announced today. Come on Lottery Win!!!

We're seriously considering this one. Basically no added costs at all, except for shopping and the spa. All drinks, tips, laundry, pressing and drycleaning, wifi, medical visits, visas, luggage shipments, special events including pre-cruise hotel, on and on. Oh, and most excursions, a real biggy!

This gives us more than two years to save up, lol. Or sell some real estate. But when you factor-in all of the above inclusions, the prices don't seem so bad.

Parts of the itinerary we've done, but most not, and there are some real highights for us, and yes, it's eastbound, from Miami.

• 2 weeks later...

BermudaBound2014

Sorry to post here but thread on your Croatia post is old and I have a question. You mentioned that you booked private tours at the different ports on your cruise. That is what we are wanting to do but do not know where to search for private tours. Could you advise? Thanks

BermudaBound2014

Sorry to post here but thread on your Croatia post is old and I have a question. You mentioned that you booked private tours at the different ports on your cruise. That is what we are wanting to do but do not know where to search for private tours. Could you advise? Thanks

Hi, I think you are probably referring to my most recent trip to Venice & Greek Isles., a10 Day Rhapsody Review? We stopped in Zadar, Croatia on that itinerary. I just looked through my records and we used this company:

https://www.zadarguidedtours.com/

I worked with Leonina and she was terrific. We were able to customize our tour. We wanted to hike Paklenica, but also see some of the area. According to my records we paid 99 Euros. Our guide was a super young man who had lived through the war as a school aged child. He was waiting for us at the end of the pier with a sign with our names. We drove to Paklenica which was about an hour each way and he was very informative. After our hike, he took us to his school house that was bombed, showed us where he lived, then took us to Downtown Zadar to walk around town and he gave historical information along the way.

On that trip we also booked private tours in both Kotor & Mykonos. I can look up those companies also if you are interested. I highly recommend going private if you are comfortable with the process. You get twice as much time for half the cost and two people per guide verses 200 ;-). It's typically the only way we travel.

Hope this helps,

I would be interested in your private guides in Greece also. We don't book the cruise excursions because of the number of people on the tours.... plus we prefer customizing our own tours. Thank you so much for providing the company that you used in Zadar. This is so helpful. Thanks for your input.