Anyone tried the AA Premium Economy from DFW to HNL?

GJustice

Stumbled across the "new" Premium Economy class added to the AA flights between DFW and Hawaii. We're waiting on NCL ticketing info (couple weeks away) and wanted some feedback from customers who have tried it. Seems light on perks (compared to International routes) BUT might be worth it for the seat/room.

Not the routing you're asking about but we're booked in this class for next month LAX-DUB and then again in October LAX-PVG...Hope it works out well. Will be interested in any reply's you might get about this area.

Google AA Premium Economy and several reviews will pop up.

Thanks so much...Just a quick question...does this class of service come with over the ear headphones or the normal earbuds. If I don't have to bring my Bose headphones I won't as I'm one of those that can't use earbuds.

Thanks so much...Just a quick question...does this class of service come with over the ear headphones or the normal earbuds. If I don't have to bring my Bose headphones I won't as I'm one of those that can't use earbuds.

On this video review of PE on a 787 (MAD-DFW) -

- it shows over-the-ear NC headphones. I'd assume it's the same on domestic PE service, but in the past AA has sometimes degraded the amenities in business class on domestic routes compared to the same plane/service on international routes, so I wouldn't take it as a given. If this is a big concern, I'd just phone AAdvantage Customer Service and ask them; they're usually pretty responsive to these kinds of questions.

Earbuds.

On this video review of PE on a 787 (MAD-DFW) -
- it shows over-the-ear NC headphones. I'd assume it's the same on domestic PE service, but in the past AA has sometimes degraded the amenities in business class on domestic routes compared to the same plane/service on international routes, so I wouldn't take it as a given. If this is a big concern, I'd just phone AAdvantage Customer Service and ask them; they're usually pretty responsive to these kinds of questions.

Earbuds.

Thank you both...sounds (pun intended) like it's not something to be counted on so I'll bring my own on my very long flights...I now have two international and one domestic (LAX-SJU) so won't take a chance.

DFW-HNL is a domestic flight, the amenities don't even begin to compare with AA international - I've done both frequently - just because it's a widebody on a long flight, don't set your sights very high.

That's why I'm asking about the specific DFW-HNL route, as there aren't many Google results for it. LOTS about the "international" version, but not the "domestic" version.

Trying to determine if there's much (anything) beyond seat/legroom to justify upgrading.

Thanks to all who've replied so far!

That's why I'm asking about the specific DFW-HNL route, as there aren't many Google results for it. LOTS about the "international" version, but not the "domestic" version.

Trying to determine if there's much (anything) beyond seat/legroom to justify upgrading.

Thanks to all who've replied so far!

I would expect their domestic product to be reasonably consistent across the fleet. So they should be offering the same service for a SFO-JFK as they would for DFW-HNL. So you can look at reviews and comments about those.

If I were making that flight, I would do just about anything for the extra leg room, and any seat space. So it would probably be in the front of the plane the vast majority of the time. Otherwise it would be in whatever premium economy I can get.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I would expect their domestic product to be reasonably consistent across the fleet. So they should be offering the same service for a SFO-JFK as they would for DFW-HNL. So you can look at reviews and comments about those.

If I were making that flight, I would do just about anything for the extra leg room, and any seat space. So it would probably be in the front of the plane the vast majority of the time. Otherwise it would be in whatever premium economy I can get.

Sorry, the routes don't compare. Different metal, totally different experience. AA uses 321T transcon and 772 to HNL. I've done both, very very different.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There have been very few if any domestic premium economy flights sold as premium economy so it’s a bit early to say what the soft product will be. They are just starting to retrofit the 772s so some of those will show up on domestic routes and some will get to sit in the seats sold as an economy product. But that won’t tell us yet how domestic marketed as PE will compare to international AA PE.

You’ll get a bigger seat though, so there’s that. Much else will be a bit of a bonus.

• 2 weeks later...

Got air arrangements this morning!

Non-stops both ways, earlier (of 2) outbound which we wanted, got the earlier (of 2) return flights (leave @5pm, arrive @5am) wanted to get the 8pm arriving @8:30am but NCL said they can't change ANYTHING since it's "such a discounted fare" :(

Had rows 33 and 34, but paid $500 to upgrade to Main Cabin Extra to get some legroom.

AA wanted $1350/each to upgrade to PE for the outbound, and couldn't quote return since there's only one PE seat available.

Guess MCE will have to do.

Got air arrangements this morning!

Non-stops both ways, earlier (of 2) outbound which we wanted, got the earlier (of 2) return flights (leave @5pm, arrive @5am) wanted to get the 8pm arriving @8:30am but NCL said they can't change ANYTHING since it's "such a discounted fare" :(

Seems not so unchangeable after all :) I realized Monday that I'd booked the Pearl Harbor (all day) excursion with airport drop-off that would have been too late for the 5:25 flight :(

Send a polite email to NCL's premium air group explaining my quandary and the next day I received notifications that we'd been rebooked on the 8:00PM return flight, no extra charge. Guess they checked with the Shore Excursion people and were able to accommodate.

Guess the old "All they can say is "no"" rule applies.