Self inflicted bad experience

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 9,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:29 PM.
CA
2,008 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Plan EARLY!

I don't have a copy of my birth certificate. I think my parents just have the hospital version, which isn't acceptable for travel and stuff. If they still have it. The county I was born in requires you to come in person. I should probably get it, but it's an incredible hassle. If I were to try and get it now, it would probably take a good couple of months, including an airplane flight, to go get it.

Luckily, I've had a passport since I was a little kid and I've NEVER let it lapse. I didn't have a SS card either until very recently (at least they let you order online). Used my passport as proof of citizenship and jobs and stuff for decades. That sucker either stays in my safe deposit box or when I have a trip, then it's practically physically on me at all times.
Sacramento, CA
537 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
I have both a passport book AND a passport card. The passport book is in a safe place, while the passport card goes with me everywhere. My driver's license is not ReadID compliant, so my passport card will come in handy starting October 20th for domestic flights.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising... the adult version of Summer Camp!
September 14-24, 2018 - South Caribbean on Celebrity Equinox
August, 2017 - Alaska on Celebrity Infinity
January, 2005 - South Mexican Rivera on Carnival Spirit
January, 2003 - North Mexican Riviera on Carnival Elation
Wales GB
766 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
[quote=Vampire Parrot;51792350]A tip I got from my dad who was in the military for nearly 30 years. It works for me.

My final packing check for the last 30 years is very small.

Passport, tickets, documentation, credit cards, cash.

Anything I've forgotten I don't worry about because if it's vital I can buy it. Yes, I forget things. No, it's never been a real problem.

That's about right.

In this day and age, I would add mobile phone, charger and adapter.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises
Reina del Mar (Union Castle Line) -
Canberra (P&O)- 1973, 1974,1975,1976,1977, 1979,1980,1980,1981,1981, 1983, 1993
Vistafjord (Norwegian Caribbean)-1979

Golden Princess (Princess Cruises) Alaska- 2008
Ruby Princess Caribbean -2010
Island Princess Panama Canal-2012
Serenade of Seas (Royal Caribbean) Middle East -2013
Navigator of Seas ex Galveston, Houston Caribbean -2014
Emerald Princess ex Bayport,Houston Caribbean-2015
Liberty of Seas ex Galveston, Houston Caribbean- 2016, 2016

Royal Princess Caribbean- 2017
Emerald Princess- South America (Round the Horn)- 2018

Coming Up
Majestic Princess- Australia/ Asia- 2019
1 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
Originally posted by Marine91
Ouch.. I could imagine how awkward that drive home would be. Right after I booked our first cruise a few months ago my wife went in to mom planning mode and created a binder and put everything including our passports in it.
Great idea!
North Carolina Coast!, USA
6,120 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
Meet a couple once sitting by the handicapped door to board. He thought he had his passport until they got to check in. He forgot it and their drive home was too long to go get it. They had checked all their luggage but don't know what happened about that and they were experienced cruisers. My husband always just has our birth certificates in his wallet if need be.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CRUISE LINES
Dolphin
Commodore
Regency
Premier
Cape Canaveral Cruises
Carnival
Royal Caribean
NCL
Celebrity
Princess
Costa
CA
2,008 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Reina del Mar
In this day and age, I would add mobile phone, charger and adapter.
To be fair, it'd be fairly easy to find a charger or adapter as well so even if you forgot those, it wouldn't be a big deal. Phones nowadays use basically one of two chargers: Lightning or USB.

Originally posted by Bonnie J.
My husband always just has our birth certificates in his wallet if need be.
Wow, how fat is his wallet?