Booking HAL EXC tours vs winging it until you book at your port

gailellen12

Hi everyone - I am sailing on the Zuiderdam northern isles cruise July 31 round trip from Copenhagen. I would like to see the Faroe Isl and the Shetland Isl. in particular on a smaller group tour. I have checked with several and they seem to be full. No surprise as I just recently was able to book. Is there a posssibility smaller tour companies will be offering tours from these two ports when we arrive or better to be safe than sorry and should I just book with Holland America on one of their group buses? I don't want to be shut out of seeing these two spots. Thanks in advance

I do have a tip for Lerwick. A few years ago, we had this port. The entire ship had to go through immigration ON board and appear before officials at a set time. It was probably took 2 hours after arrival before we could get off. Said that to say, I wouldn’t schedule any excursion there right at the time of arrival, give yourself some time. We took a wonderful independent excursion planned in advance and had a fantastic day! Contact the local tourism bureau, they can let you know about all the local agencies & get you good information. Happy Sailing!

I do have a tip for Lerwick. A few years ago, we had this port. The entire ship had to go through immigration ON board and appear before officials at a set time. It was probably took 2 hours after arrival before we could get off. Said that to say, I wouldn’t schedule any excursion there right at the time of arrival, give yourself some time. We took a wonderful independent excursion planned in advance and had a fantastic day! Contact the local tourism bureau, they can let you know about all the local agencies & get you good information. Happy Sailing!

I agree there too, but in the other hand if you don’t have the time to plan it out and the budget allows book a HAL excursion. Yes there little more costly, but the advantage is if the ship is delayed getting in, custom delays, or tour group returns late then that’s on HAL. And they would hold the ship or solve the problem. But we look at each location differently

Enjoy you cruise

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the good advice. I am excited about this trip. I have been to Denmark and Scotland before so not quite as concerned about seeing them extensively with a smaller group. More focused on unique experiences for Iceland, Faroes and Shetland (in particular)

There is plenty to see and do in Torshavn. Check out Whatisinport for ideas. You are tendered right next to the historical area of Torshavn.

We have taken tours to Vagar and Northern Eysturoy and enjoyed both. Thought the Northern Eysturoy tour was the best as we had one Fantastic Guide. But there is no guarantees on getting the same guide we had as I believe he was studying to be a lawyer.