Much better $$$ using a TA vs RC website. What gives?

And the full amount is non-refundable on most fares. And there is a big change fee, and some fares, no changes are allowed. Fly the booked flight or lose the money.

Been like that for many years.

That was my point on the comparison of travel costs...booking flights, versus RCI cruises. :o

My TA always gives us OBC and free grats. Lately, I've made 2 bookings for the same cruise. She apologized she has only one "group booking left" and the other was the "regular" rate -- 2434$ vs. 3014$ :D

I'm monitoring price drops myself, since their site is very user friendly. Yes, I have to call them in order to apply the drops. Still, the savings are worth "losing control of the reservation"....

I've never understood the "losing control of the reservation" aspect. I can call my TA or I can call the cruise line. Pretty much the same thing.

I've never understood the "losing control of the reservation" aspect. I can call my TA or I can call the cruise line. Pretty much the same thing.

Some TA's are not open on the weekends so if you see a price drop you have to wait until Monday and hope it's still there. In the past there have been two times that there was a price drop/error on their website, both times very short lived. I booked direct so I was able to call and get the price adjusted. Others on here very not happy since the price had gone back up by the time they could contact their TA. It does not happen often does it does and can happen. You can call RCl pretty much 24/7

I used to book through xxxxxxx but deals aren’t as good anymore, last few times booked directly with RCL. I know we can’t mention specific travel agencies, but what should I look for in a TA? So many online and not any brick and mortar shops around here, any recommendations?

I've been with your big box place for years, and the only time I found they don't have a lower price is when I booked on board an RCCL ship. Always know the RCCL price and promo going, and make sure it's included. Their database doesn't always have the latest pricing in it. Plus, the gift cards they give cut down on expenses after the trip.

They have really good deals and perks if you click in the "buyer's choice" and other promos just below the date range.

As said, many TAs work 9 to 5 and are closed on Sunday. They cannot make changes to your booking without talking to cruise lines. Cruise line call centres open late 7 days a week and can act on your request much faster than the middleman TA. Big difference.

Many TAs work 9 to 5 and are closed on Sunday. They cannot make changes to your booking without talking to cruise lines. Cruise line call centres open late 7 days a week and can act on your request much faster than the middleman TA. Big difference.

Really? I'm not sure exactly why I would want to forgo a 10% discount in order to have the opportunity to make changes over the weekend.

Really? I'm not sure exactly why I would want to forgo a 10% discount in order to have the opportunity to make changes over the weekend.

Limited time price drops don't wait. You snooze, you lose.

Personally, I use a big box store TA that gives me approximately 7% of the cost back on a gift card coupled with using my credit card to get another 3% back. Plus they have excellent service and are open on the weekends. It just all depends on what you are looking for and comfortable with.

Limited time price drops don't wait. You snooze, you lose.

That's true. How often do you see a "limited time price drop"? A 10% TA discount is a sure thing on every booking. Plus, a good TA will match price drops too. Your gambling a sure thing on the off chance of a "limited time price drop".

Personally, I use a big box store TA that gives me approximately 7% of the cost back on a gift card coupled with using my credit card to get another 3% back. Plus they have excellent service and are open on the weekends. It just all depends on what you are looking for and comfortable with.

Agree. Plus their hours are extended:

Monday - Friday 5 a.m. - 9 p.m.

Saturday - Sunday 6 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.

(Pacific Time)

Two wrongs don't make a right. They are to blame also. Eventually I think you will see RCI make ALL reservations having non refundable deposits, which will put a stop to that practice. I always book the non refundable to save the extra $$. I book fully planning on taking that cabin and that cruise.

If an emergency happens, I know I am out that deposit until final payment....but seems emergencies come up after final payment most of the time anyway. Then you are out a lot more.

The airlines make you pay up front in full. ;)

Yes that day is coming . First they started with deposits you can not get back they have started selling those now but you get a lower price. After that they will make it so you buy it you own it then after that no more TA .

Yes that day is coming . First they started with deposits you can not get back they have started selling those now but you get a lower price. After that they will make it so you buy it you own it then after that no more TA .

I'm thinking the TA's will get creative and start giving a choice of a refundable deposit, or whatever else they offer. If they are giving obc and free grats now, they can certainly add the NF deposit to that menu!

I'm thinking the TA's will get creative and start giving a choice of a refundable deposit, or whatever else they offer. If they are giving obc and free grats now, they can certainly add the NF deposit to that menu!

No if the cruise line says no refunds then if you cancel who is going to pay you back ?? The cruises will be like the airlines in the future.

The deposit is past on back the TA to the cruise line. The TA would have to refund the NRD from their own pockets. Rather doubt they will be that 'creative'.

IMO, refundable deposits (except suites) will not go away. But they will cost more. Just like air fares. As long as people will book them, they will remain. But most people will take the lower fare, then complain about the terms and conditions.

Heck, I am booking a trip for late Sept and there are even non-refundable First class fares. Refundable are more than twice as much.

IMO, refundable deposits (except suites) will not go away. But they will cost more. Just like air fares. As long as people will book them, they will remain. But most people will take the lower fare, then complain about the terms and conditions.

Heck, I am booking a trip for late Sept and there are even non-refundable First class fares. Refundable are more than twice as much.

People complain about fares are too high now . Even they are lower than they where years ago. They make them look low then tack on . I can remember HAL stated on their advertisements "no tipping necessary" Then to lower rate they took the no tipping necessary away . We have found out if you are booking a suite or better you can book a balcony on a all inclusive ship for about the same price if you figure the extras you have to pay . We do that once a year and take mass market the rest

I noticed a price drop over the weekend and couldn't get in touch with the TA I booked with. I called the cruise line. It was Princess for that cruise and booked the lower price directly. On Monday I called the TA and canceled the cruise. I lost my $50 OBC for booking with the TA but saved over $200 on the cruise booking through Princess. Fortunately I'm finding that Royal Caribbean sales are just a matter of raising the price and discounting either the kids or second passenger so booking through a TA is the better way to go for extra perks.

I've been with your big box place for years, and the only time I found they don't have a lower price is when I booked on board an RCCL ship. Always know the RCCL price and promo going, and make sure it's included. Their database doesn't always have the latest pricing in it. Plus, the gift cards they give cut down on expenses after the trip.

They have really good deals and perks if you click in the "buyer's choice" and other promos just below the date range.

I just booked with the other Big Box warehouse for the first time. I called them directly because there were so many offers that I couldn't tell which one would apply to my booking. As it turned out I had a choice of taking the $250 gift card or the same amount in OBC. I took the OBC since we don't use them to food shop as much since it's just me and my wife now. I usually wait until they send me a coupon to join for $25 which is 6 months past the expiration date of the membership. Now I have to renew on time in order to keep my club cruise booking. This was the best offer that I found when searching for a TA

I noticed a price drop over the weekend and couldn't get in touch with the TA I booked with. I called the cruise line. It was Princess for that cruise and booked the lower price directly. On Monday I called the TA and canceled the cruise. I lost my $50 OBC for booking with the TA but saved over $200 on the cruise booking through Princess. Fortunately I'm finding that Royal Caribbean sales are just a matter of raising the price and discounting either the kids or second passenger so booking through a TA is the better way to go for extra perks.

$50 OBC isn't worth using a TA. Some TA will discount Princess/Holland cruises by about 10%. That can make a difference.

A couple of things:

You could have called the TA on Monday and offered them a choice of honoring the price drop (including the $50 OBC) or cancelling the cruise.

You could have 'shopped' the new reservation to another TA and see what they would offer if you transferred the reservation.

BTW, was the price drop still in effect on Monday?

My point is really this: I'm skeptical that weekend price drops, etc., are all that common. All the drops I've seen are usually around for sometime. The 10% discount is a sure thing on every cruise, every time. The 'weekend price drop' that disappears may happen only rarely.

Some TA's are not open on the weekends so if you see a price drop you have to wait until Monday and hope it's still there. In the past there have been two times that there was a price drop/error on their website, both times very short lived. I booked direct so I was able to call and get the price adjusted. Others on here very not happy since the price had gone back up by the time they could contact their TA. It does not happen often does it does and can happen. You can call RCl pretty much 24/7

Agree. That's why I don't have outside TA. More control 24/7. Used same Royal Vacation Planner last 5 yrs, he isn't in no problem, call still call get cabin I been watching/waiting for.

Fine, but remember that if you give up that control, you can save 10% on every cruise you take. Is control worth 10%? I've never encountered a time I couldn't get a price drop.

Then, there are the times when a TA can go to bat for you with the cruise line. Mine just saved me $1000 on my next cruise.

My point is really this: I'm skeptical that weekend price drops, etc., are all that common. All the drops I've seen are usually around for sometime. The 10% discount is a sure thing on every cruise, every time. The 'weekend price drop' that disappears may happen only rarely.

I have gotten weekend price drops on about a third of my cruises over the years. Residential (NJ), C&A as well as just plain one day price drops.

Fine, but remember that if you give up that control, you can save 10% on every cruise you take. Is control worth 10%? I've never encountered a time I couldn't get a price drop.

Then, there are the times when a TA can go to bat for you with the cruise line. Mine just saved me $1000 on my next cruise.

that simply is not true.By the time the cruise comes around ( if you have been diligently watching) the cruise line price will be the same as the TA can offer. We just had a cruise where for what ever reason, the single suppliment price was $631.00 total for a week carribbean cruise. This sale lasted about 2 hours and it allowed friends of ours to book 2 cabins to up their day total. No TA had this available.

Doug