Cruise Traditions

macfam76

What are your cruise traditions? For example, do you always have the same drink as soon as you embark? Or buy something from the shops every time you cruise? Have a certain place you go to watch sail away? Etc....

I will be on the Breeze in July and it is only my 2nd cruise (sailed the Ecstasy 9ish years ago).

Looking to start some new traditions and I would love to hear yours!!

What are your cruise traditions? For example, do you always have the same drink as soon as you embark? Or buy something from the shops every time you cruise? Have a certain place you go to watch sail away? Etc....

I will be on the Breeze in July and it is only my 2nd cruise (sailed the Ecstasy 9ish years ago).

Looking to start some new traditions and I would love to hear yours!!

I try to watch Jaws, original Poseidon Adventure, and Titanic before each cruise. :eek: Seriously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Two things. I stop at the edge of the gangway and jump onto the ship, leaving everything behind me.

Then I find a place to sit down, make one phone call to family to say "We are on the ship" then change my phone to airplane mode.

Then an unforgettable and unconnected journey begins.

• Like 2

I buy a bottle opener from every place we visit. That's the only real "tradition" I have.

Other than that, it's grab a strong drink as soon as I have a free hand. And I also try to get some pool time before muster.

I have a few traditions.

• I always buy the boarding photo for each cruise.
  • Once we board, we head to the pool to cool off, and have lunch.
  • One son loves tie dye shirts, so we are always looking for one in each port
  • We travel to the port the night before, and stay in a hotel

Mani Pedi before we go with the brightest colour I can find

Get to port early VIP

Go grab a Pina Colada

Hubby leaves me alone for about 30 mins cause I can relax till I unpack so he leaves the room comes back 30 mins later with another Pina colada and the vacation can officially begin

Kim

We have only been on one, getting ready for another one in January, 2017. We like to get in at least the night before we embark. When we get on the ship, we unpack, and then head for the bar for the drink of the day.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Depends on the ship. Oasis we hit Boleros for a Grand Sangria them head to Park Cafe for a beef on weck then up to the Solarium to start relaxing. Other ships we grab a cocktail say cheers to vacation and find a hot tub [emoji4]

We try to get on the ship as earliest as possible. We head and see if the doors are open to get to our cabin. If so we dump our carry on bag into the closet and head to the Lido for a leisurely lunch. Then we explore the ship before the muster drill.

That's about it as far as rituals go.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We have a tradition that started way back on our first cruise on the Majesty of the Seas. Majesty is famous for small cabins, but we expected that and were not bothered by it. However in order to make use of the limited space I would shower and dress for dinner first and then go to a bar, usually the Schooner on RCI ships and have a brew or two & make new friends while the wife had the room to herself to get ready. I always enjoyed seeing her coming in to join me, especially on formal nights when she was all dressed up. I would get that "first date" feeling all over again. Even with the larger cabins we have kept this tradition through the years.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We have a tradition that started way back on our first cruise on the Majesty of the Seas. Majesty is famous for small cabins, but we expected that and were not bothered by it. However in order to make use of the limited space I would shower and dress for dinner first and then go to a bar, usually the Schooner on RCI ships and have a brew or two & make new friends while the wife had the room to herself to get ready. I always enjoyed seeing her coming in to join me, especially on formal nights when she was all dressed up. I would get that "first date" feeling all over again. Even with the larger cabins we have kept this tradition through the years.

We do the same! He runs out grabs me a glass of wine for while I'm getting ready and I head down and meet him at the Champagne bar or trellis bar, (oasis) he never sees half of my dresses before we leave so I guess I like to surprise him [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Brilliant!

• 2 weeks later...

We always get to the port city a day early to relax and de-stress, prior to the cruise. More than one day is ideal, especially if you are traveling to another country to start the cruise. We buy a locally-made Christmas ornament at every port. We don't look buy the ones made in China with the name of the port on it.We have some that are made out of scrap metal, some hand-blown ornaments and some carved wooden ornaments. We even managed to find one in Turkey, which we didn't expect. It is honestly the most gaudy ornament ever, but I think that's one of the things that makes it so special. The little old man in the shop made them himself and he was so proud of them. When we put our tree up every year, it's like reliving these WONDERFUL memories of each port we visited and where we were when we found these ornaments. Our tree is full of the "travel" ornaments.

• Like 1

We always get to the port city a day early to relax and de-stress, prior to the cruise. More than one day is ideal, especially if you are traveling to another country to start the cruise. We buy a locally-made Christmas ornament at every port. We don't look buy the ones made in China with the name of the port on it.We have some that are made out of scrap metal, some hand-blown ornaments and some carved wooden ornaments. We even managed to find one in Turkey, which we didn't expect. It is honestly the most gaudy ornament ever, but I think that's one of the things that makes it so special. The little old man in the shop made them himself and he was so proud of them. When we put our tree up every year, it's like reliving these WONDERFUL memories of each port we visited and where we were when we found these ornaments. Our tree is full of the "travel" ornaments.

My wife and I talked about this recently. We were both bummed that we didn't start on our first vacation a couple years back but I think we are going to start now. A suitcase full of bottle openers and Christmas ornaments!

• Like 1

I'm not a big Christmas person, back on our first vacation together I bought bracelet. Now I always try to find a bracelet or necklace from a local shop. My favorite to this day is a glass one from st Maarten. The glass just glows and takes me straight back when I put it on. And as touristy as it is I get a shell etched with the island and year from one island on each trip

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

Always try to buy a pin for the cruise ship to put on my lanyard.

Always try to buy a ornament for our tree for anywhere new we go

Always go to the Lido deck after checking out our room to go get dessert. Dessert always comes first.

Get ourselves a cold drink with an umbrella and dance to the reggae music that will almost always be playing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I try to watch Jaws, original Poseidon Adventure, and Titanic before each cruise. :eek: Seriously.

Me too on Poseidon Adventure. A refresher on how to get out if the ship is upside down. [emoji15][emoji305][emoji924]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's sweet!

We always drive up from Key West 2 days before the cruise to get "off the rock" for awhile. We always have our first drink of the day at the lobby bar to watch all the others board. DH always wears the same shirt on the first day- a Ralph Lauren Hawaiian shirt - it's been repaired many times!. I always get a pastrami/corned beef sandwich from the deli for lunch after boarding. And those, folks, are our traditions!:D