Allure of the seas, virus

1 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
Just got back Sunday after a week on the allure of the sea's. Both a grandson and son came down with diarrhea and vomiting within a day of departure. Anyone else have this problem?
Central Illinois
132,451 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Welcome to Cruise Critic.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Jewel, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
Fredericksburg, va. USA
87,564 Posts
Joined May 2001
The ship wasn't "sick", but apparently some PERSON was, and your kids caught it! Noro is prevalent in schools, nursing homes, and any place where crowds congregate! You are contagious BEFORE you get symptoms, and that's why it's so very contagious!!!
Ships have to report outbreaks if there is a certain percentage of the souls aboard ill. Apparently, there were not enough sick folks to trigger reporting.
Cape Cod, MA
4,556 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by regtir
Just got back Sunday after a week on the allure of the sea's. Both a grandson and son came down with diarrhea and vomiting within a day of departure. Anyone else have this problem?
If you reported it they most likely would have been quarantined to their cabin. If not, they probably spread it to other passengers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sharon
2/24/19 - RC Oasis - Eastern
1/20/19 - RC Freedom - Southern
5/11/18 - NCL Dawn - Bermuda
3/4/17 - HAL Eurodam - Caribbean
12/11/16 - Celebrity Silouhette - Western
5/28/16 - Pride of America - Hawaii
4/2/16 - RC Navigator - Eastern
5/8/15 - NCL Dawn - Bermuda
11/30/14 - Carnival Pride - Western
6/13/14 -NCL Dawn - Bermuda
2/8/14 - Celebrity Reflection - Eastern
10/20/13 -RC Allure - Western
11/6/12 - Carnival Miracle - FL/Bahamas
4/28/12 - Celebrity Summit - Repo, SJ to NJ
6/10/11 - NCL Dawn - Bermuda
4/30/11 - Celebrity Summit - Repo, SJ to NJ
11/27/10 - NCL Gem - NY to FL/Bahamas
6/11/10 - NCL Spirit - Bermuda
2/7/10 - RC Adventure - Southern
6/12/09 - NCL Spirit - Bermuda
10/26/08 - RC Mariner - Eastern
5/9/08 - NCL Dream - CTN
1/13/08 - Carnival Valor - Eastern
12/15/07 - NCL Gem - CTN
3/5/07 - RC Majesty - Bahamas
10/15/06 - RC Explorer - Bermuda
10/1/06 - NCL Majesty - Bermuda
11/28/04 - RC Radiance - Western
11/30/03 - RC Radiance - Western
9/28/03 - NCL Majesty - Bermuda
1/25/03 - Carnival Pride - Eastern
10/6/02 - RC Enchantment - Western
2/19/01 - Carnival Victory - Eastern
2/16/98 - Carnival Destiny - Eastern
va.
9,239 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Yes, 1000's
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
There are good ships and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea,but the best ships are friendships and may they always be.
Virginia
21 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
I was on this sailing too. No stomach issues, but both my husband and I came down with a terrible cold the next to last day of the cruise. Still enjoyed ourselves immensely, but will be even more careful next time about hand washing, not touching my face, etc....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MS Zuiderdam, July 2019 (Baltic Sea)

Allure of the Seas, July 2017 (Eastern Caribbean)
Carnival Legend, July 2016 (Alaska #2)
Allure of the Seas, July 2015 (Western Mediterranean)
Oasis of the Seas, October 2012 (Eastern Caribbean)
Carnival Spirit, July 2009 (Baltimore to E. Caribbean)
Celebrity Century, January 2009 (W. Caribbean)
Carnival Valor, May 2007 (W. Caribbean)
Carnival Triumph, June 2004 (NYNY to Canada)
Carnival Spirit, July 2002 (Alaska #1)
Princess Star, November 1996 (E. Caribbean)
Norwegian Cruise Lines, December 1989
Chandris Cruise Lines, December 1987
Upstate New York
9,255 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
There were six family members with us on the same cruise and none of us got sick at all. We washed hands frequently and used the Purell when going to dine.
Chicago Area
139 Posts
Joined May 2009
We are booked next month. Maybe we should cancel... ok NVM, we'll just get sick. heck I'm on vacation...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Scott

MSC Seaside - June 2018
Allure of the Seas - Sept 2017
Jewel of the Seas - May 2014
Allure of the Seas - June 2013
Freedom of the Seas - July 2012
Oasis of the Seas - July 2011
Freedom of the Seas - July 2010
Freeedom of the Seas - July 2009
Freeedom of the Seas - June 2008
Enchantment of the Seas - June 1997
Song of Norway - June 1991 'because the Monarch caught fire while under construction...heck of a way to start a Honeymoon... and wedded bliss...
San Diego, CA
132 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
We were on that cruise and we didn't get sick. We wash hands frequently and always make sure to wash extra long while on ship. We also NEVER touch handrails and always use a tissue or shirt to push elevator buttons. Hand sanitizer is also used frequently.

If you got sick that close to departure, chances are you may have been exposed before the ship. We start our extra cautious hand hand washing well before our trips and extra vitamin C helps too. Hope everyone is well now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pittsburgh, PA
98 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by regtir
Sounds like they may have been exposed to something before boarding. Taking precautions on board as you would on land is the only thing I know to do.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike in Pittsburgh

Next Cruise:
Oasis of the Seas - August 20, 2017

Previous Cruises:
Carnival Sensation 1994
Disney Wonder 2008
Carnival Pride 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
98 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by clarea
Welcome to Cruise Critic.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike in Pittsburgh

Next Cruise:

Previous Cruises:
Carnival Sensation 1994
Disney Wonder 2008
Carnival Pride 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
98 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by Biker19
Worry about them getting better, not whether anyone else had it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike in Pittsburgh

Next Cruise:

Previous Cruises:
Carnival Sensation 1994
Disney Wonder 2008
Carnival Pride 2011
New York
22 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
FWIW, we disembarked the Allure on July 9, and our head waiter had told us the night before that there had been some GI distress cases on that cruise. We got a notice in our stateroom our final night saying the same thing, and asking us to indicate if any of our party had fallen ill (none did). And when we got off the ship, it looked like the embarkation for the next cruise out (which would have been your cruise) was pushed back to later in the day on the 9th? We assumed that was to finish cleaning and sanitizing.
Plymouth, MI
1,175 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
If I remember right - they started boarding the ship around 11:30 on July 9. I didn't see a notice that the week prior there had been any issues with GI distress cases.
Rhode Island, U.S.A.
24,534 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Originally posted by cb at sea
The ship wasn't "sick", but apparently some PERSON was, and your kids caught it! Noro is prevalent in schools, nursing homes, and any place where crowds congregate! You are contagious BEFORE you get symptoms, and that's why it's so very contagious!!!
Ships have to report outbreaks if there is a certain percentage of the souls aboard ill. Apparently, there were not enough sick folks to trigger reporting.
Who said anything about Noro?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
San Diego, CA
132 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Originally posted by NickinNY
FWIW, we disembarked the Allure on July 9, and our head waiter had told us the night before that there had been some GI distress cases on that cruise. We got a notice in our stateroom our final night saying the same thing, and asking us to indicate if any of our party had fallen ill (none did). And when we got off the ship, it looked like the embarkation for the next cruise out (which would have been your cruise) was pushed back to later in the day on the 9th? We assumed that was to finish cleaning and sanitizing.

We were on the ship and eating lunch in July 9th by noon. Embarkation was not delayed at all. Hopefully they always do their best to clean and wipe down the ship as often as they can but especially on turn around day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Southern California
217 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Here's a simple possibility: food combos. I have been on beyond so many cruises and have seen what kids eat! And I know what mine have eaten over the years... For this reason we ALWAYS carry pepto and immodium tablets as well as ginger candy and ginger tea whenever and whereever we travel, cruise ship or not. And this applies to adults too when you combine the alcohol, etc. Also the motion from the ship can affect. Not fun, I know, but that's why we always come prepared! Happy cruising!