$100 charge to change booking

I was just booking a couple of cruises for 2019 with my travel agent and she informed me that if I decided to change the booking to something else, there would be a $100 charge to do so (this is a new policy just instituted in the last couple of months).

I don't anticipate changing anything, but you never know what will happen, especially a year or more out.

I can let a lot about RCL roll off my back, but I'm not happy with this policy.

There are now 2 rates non refundable (lower price) and refundable (higher price) If you choose non refundable and change ship and/or date you will be charged $100 per person. No charge if you choose refundable. If sailing in a suite they are all non refundable.

I was just booking a couple of cruises for 2019 with my travel agent and she informed me that if I decided to change the booking to something else, there would be a $100 charge to do so (this is a new policy just instituted in the last couple of months).

I don't anticipate changing anything, but you never know what will happen, especially a year or more out.

This is for the non-refundable fare. My husband had booked a cruise for us with non-refundable fare. Unfortunately, we had to move it and incurred the $100 change fee per person. But it needed to be done and the non refundable rate even with this charge was still worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are now 2 rates non refundable (lower price) and refundable (higher price) If you choose non refundable and change ship and/or date you will be charged $100 per person. No charge if you choose refundable. If sailing in a suite they are all non refundable.

.....so you can tell your agent that you want the refundable fare, if that is important to you.

It occurs to me that I think your TA may be missing something. Would somebody please correct me if I’m wrong.

The deposit is $250, and that entire amount is nonrefundable. However, RCCL will apply $150 to another cruise, to be taken within 12 months. For some people, this could be problematic.

In many cases, the nonrefundable price will more than cover the price of the $100 loss/change fee.

Of course, if your personal TA has a change fee as well, I don’t know.

Interestingly, most online TAs default to nonrefundable. The big warehouse one especially. I think if you call they can get refundable for you, but nonrefundable seems to be the default for most TAs.

Makes sense, they can advertise a lower price and the booking is less likely to cancel.

Welcome to our world in the UK. We don't have the luxury of refundable deposits.;p

Makes sense, they can advertise a lower price and the booking is less likely to cancel.

Yup, exactly that. There's also the fact that when you are just perusing Royal Caribbean's website they show the lowest possible price (interior non-refundable) until you go through and look at the details. If a travel agent is advertising a cruise at the higher refundable price the client can get upset that you are charging more than the cruise line. A lot easier to advertise the lower price and either just book non-refundable by default, or explain the differece later once the client is interested.

I just ran into this issue with my mother-in-law. I know her well enough to know she would need the refundable so I just showed her those prices and she thought I was trying to scam her

I hope someone can assist with a question. I was just on the phone with my insurance broker as I also am looking to transfer a booking.

Is the $100 charge something they separately charge your credit card and they will transfer the entire $250 deposit to a new booking? It sounds like I may be able to transfer my insurance one way, but not the other. Thank you.

This is for the non-refundable fare. My husband had booked a cruise for us with non-refundable fare. Unfortunately, we had to move it and incurred the $100 change fee per person. But it needed to be done and the non refundable rate even with this charge was still worth it.

For me too. The fare was several hundred dollars less by booking the non-refundable rate and if I need to change the booking I still come out ahead.

• 4 months later...
I hope someone can assist with a question. I was just on the phone with my insurance broker as I also am looking to transfer a booking.

Is the $100 charge something they separately charge your credit card and they will transfer the entire $250 deposit to a new booking? It sounds like I may be able to transfer my insurance one way, but not the other. Thank you.

I have been looking at changing a cruise as well. What the rep told me was that they just add the $100 per person to the price of the new booking.

I have been looking at changing a cruise as well. What the rep told me was that they just add the $100 per person to the price of the new booking.

That makes no sense.

Let's say you have a $100 deposit for a cruise you booked while on board.

Want to cancel or move that? Nope. Just kiss the $100 goodbye. You will just never see it again. You start with a clean slate booking a new cruise.

Have a $250 deposit and want to cancel/move that booking? Kiss $100 goodbye and receive an FCC (future cruise certificate) for $150 which must be spent on another cruise within one year of the cancellation/move.

That makes no sense.

Let's say you have a $100 deposit for a cruise you booked while on board.

Want to cancel or move that? Nope. Just kiss the $100 goodbye. You will just never see it again. You start with a clean slate booking a new cruise.

Have a $250 deposit and want to cancel/move that booking? Kiss $100 goodbye and receive an FCC (future cruise certificate) for $150 which must be spent on another cruise within one year of the cancellation/move.

You are still losing the $100 per person. As I was switching from one cruise to another, not cancelling, they just add the $100 per person penalty to the amount. You just do not have to pay that out of pocket at the moment you switch.

You are still losing the $100 per person. As I was switching from one cruise to another, not cancelling, they just add the $100 per person penalty to the amount. You just do not have to pay that out of pocket at the moment you switch.

I agree with MM - this can't be how they're doing it! If so, can you imagine all the "RCCL wouldn't honor the price drop" threads that would result? I would imagine that your deposit would simply transfer as $150 per person and you will have to make up the missing $200 when transferring the booking - that is the only logical way they could do this and keep the paper work straight!

So what happened on the Royal site? When I go in to make a mock booking to check prices, it only offers one price which looks to be the non-refundable price. How to I see the refundable one?

Sadly you have to go all the way thru the process and after entering all passenger info on the next page where you pic your dining time there's a box to check for refundable deposit with an amount listed for that option

NO.

You have already paid a deposit. So they HAVE that $100.

If the deposit is $100, and you change ship or sailing date, you lose it. Nothing is added to the new booking, you will have to pay a new deposit.

If the deposit you paid is more than $100, they will issue a future cruise credit for the amount over $100 to each passenger. That FCC must be used on a SAILING, within 12 months of when it was issued.

As I understand if, the FCC cannot be used for the new deposit, but only to pay part of the cruise fare.