Transfers to port -New York airports

WeLuv2Cruz13

I believe a yellow cab charges a $50 flat rate from JFK... LGA is probably the same if not slightly less being that it closer... I would just grab a cab from the taxi stand or UBER. Which sailing are you on ? We are on the July 3rd..

I've used Carnival's transport in MIA and Canaveral. You wait until there's enough people to board a bus, then wait while all the luggage is loaded. When you get to the port, you have to wait again while all the luggage gets unloaded.

If you are a couple or family group, it is usually less expensive to use a cab for about $45 or 50 from LGA to the seaport. Fares are posted, there is a dispatcher tending the wait line as well.

UBER or perhaps a shuttle like SAS may be available. More info specific to LGA and NYC can be found in the CC's Departure Ports. Enjoy the Horizon, we're sailing on it the end of May.

I believe a yellow cab charges a $50 flat rate from JFK... LGA is probably the same if not slightly less being that it closer... I would just grab a cab from the taxi stand or UBER. Which sailing are you on ? We are on the July 3rd..

We are July 11th

• 4 weeks later...

OP, what is "best" way to do NY area airport transfer ? Is it in terms of fastest, most convenient, inexpensive & frugal, efficient (time & values) ... and, how much time do you have (flying into NY on day of embarkation).

LGA has ongoing, long-term airport construction-expansion-new access/overpass ramps to/from, over the parkway exits - your travel dates appeared to be on weekdays with the typical big city commuting traffic congestions, despite being early Summer. Taxi stands are directly in front of airline terminals vs. FHV (For Hired Vehicles) being met at a designated remote parking, requiring a short, free but sometimes slow shuttle bus ride over - taxi is metered rate vs. car service on a flat, quoted rate & Uber/Lyft subject o surge/peak pricing, plus likely a river/tunnel toll for crossing.

JFK is about 12 miles further from Manhattan terminal but taxi is a flat rate + toll, vs. car services on a competitive but calculated rate. Timing for both segments are variable but could varied anywhere from 1.25 hour to 2+ hours on weekday mornings, weather & traffic conditions being "routinely" normal.

Lightly packed traveler with a 22" rollerboard & backpack without mobility restrictions can do both on mass transit, but, it is not fun & will be crowded before 10 am on weekdays, and do it cheaply for a few dollars ... JFK can be reached without using the AirTrain by taking a local subway line & transfer to a city bus that serve all terminals, used by many airport employees commuting to their jobs - luggage with sturdy wheels, walking several city blocks, stairs & escalators involved & where working, elevators to access street level & subway platforms.

Unless you are traveling solo, 2 or 3 travelers can share the costs of a taxi or car service for less on a per person basis, and is faster & more comfortable, personalized than taking cruiseline's transfer/shuttle bus - LGA is $35 and JFK is $45 p/p one-way currently if sailing on NCL, check prices with Carnival.

We on the East Coast forum do not recommend using SuperShuttle as the shared van ride is known to wait, make multiple stops to pickup & dropoff, you are at risk of missing the ship's all abroad time and final boarding call for the airline at the gate ... there are 4 terminal stops at LGA and 4 plus 2 charter terminals at JFK; and, each en route stop could easily add 10-15 minutes to the total time in transit.

Wow - thank you so much for the information! We get in a little after 9 and the ship leaves at 5 so we should be fine getting there on time. I'm thinking private company or Supershuttle private car- we did that in DC. We heard about the construction so we decided to fly in really early. Was going to do Carnival transfer but heard they tend to wait around too. Any private service recommendations? Really appreciate all your insight. First time in New York.

Wow - thank you so much for the information! We get in a little after 9 and the ship leaves at 5 so we should be fine getting there on time. I'm thinking private company or Supershuttle private car- we did that in DC. We heard about the construction so we decided to fly in really early. Was going to do Carnival transfer but heard they tend to wait around too. Any private service recommendations? Really appreciate all your insight. First time in New York.

These are two of the largest car services in NY City, and many Cruise Critic members have been satisfied with their service:

Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com

Carmel Limo http://www.carmellimo.com

Carnival sailing at 5 PM, that's good as we sailed mostly NCL out of NY, sail either at 3 or 4 PM with all abroad, final cutoff at 1 hour prior, usually on weekends & we are about 4 miles east of LGA (1.5 mi direct across the runway/Bay ...) - our travel time is usually 35 to 45 minutes on the fastest but sometimes longer route.

On weekdays, expect 1 hour minimum from LGA to ship at MCT, probably Pier 88 (or #90 next to each other) By the time you walk downstairs to wait for luggage after parked at the gate & ready for ground transport - around 9:30 am, the morning rush hour should ease up, but if you then run into midday highway/road construction)

I would stick with selecting 1 of 2 major citywide licensed car service for the region, Dial 7 or Carmel, their rates & prices are competitive, very similar - base fares for a standard 4 door sedan should run about $40 plus a $8 cash toll for the river/tunnel crossing + tips.

There are plenty of "greeters" outside arrival & signage directing you to take a shuttle over to a remote parking & pickup lot to wait and connect with your car/driver. Both car service have their own mobile App, similar to Uber with real time GPS/driver-vehicle updates displayed on your iPhone or smartphone - usually, their pickup time is under 10 minutes as they have their own waiting/staging lot off the airport, a short distance over ... not allowed to do circles to create more airport traffic congestion.

SuperShuttle most likely act as a broker to arrange for a car service if you use them for private sedan transfer, and, of course, there are higher priced black sedan/corporate limo - unnecessary.

If you use Google Maps/Navigation or simlar (Waze) Apps yourself, you can do a quick check of "best" & alternate route to the cruise terminal from LGA, including ETA and request the driver to take that route - we recently use a car service & the driver opted to take a toll-free crossing into Manhattan (via Ed Koch/59th Street Queensboro Bridge) & the heavy weekend traffic w. everyone avoiding the toll costed an extra 25+ minutes.

We just booked transportation with Dial 7. I've been monitoring the pricing with UBER and Lyft and for our family of five (needing the XL service) goes between 98-134 on average from LGA and Bayonne. We decided to book with Dial 7 since it was a set price of $98 (after a coupon I found in Retailmenot.com) and is for a mini van/car service for 5. It was easy and very professional.

We will be flying into LaGuardia on June 1st arriving around 11:30am. We have a room reserved at the Holiday Inn LaGuardia Airport at Citifield/Flushing. They say that they do have a shuttle that will pick us up at the airport to go to the hotel. How do we find where to go for this shuttle? Hubby will most likely be in a wheel chair as he broke 2 of his toes last week, he can walk some what so we don't need a lift in the van, but wondering how far I would have to push him after we get out luggage to where the shuttles are ?

We will be flying into LaGuardia on June 1st arriving around 11:30am. We have a room reserved at the Holiday Inn LaGuardia Airport at Citifield/Flushing ... how far I would have to push him after we get out luggage to where the shuttles are ?

Once you get to and onto the hotel's shuttle van, it should be an easy 10-15 minutes ride over to HI, which is technically in the Corona (section) of Queens, not Flushing, south of LGA over the Grand Central Parkway.

But, getting to the designated pickup point, due to ongoing airport construction, in spouse in a wheelchair - and, luggage in tow, is your challenge. You could be deplaning in any 1 of 3 airline terminal, outside luggage claim, be directed to take the shuttle over a remote parking lot, where all hotel/car services & rental car shuttles are picking up arriving passengers (departures - they will drop off curbside at the terminal, that's the good news) ...

Thus, walk over - wait - step onto the shuttle; call hotel & let them know you are en route, ride over; exit shuttle w. hubby & luggage; wait for & meet hotel shuttle/driver; board shuttle & ride over ... final stop - the hotel to check-in.

For simplicity, I recommend spend an extra $15 to $20 for a taxi ride to go over directly, there are usually lines queued up for yellow taxi. But, with dispatcher on duty, it will move & get you into a minivan/suv, many in the fleets nowadays are accessible friendly. Curbside to curbside to the hotel, no transfer via the shuttle bus & hotel bus, etc. (Uber won't make any difference) Being a short trip, the fare is probably $10 to $12 at most, $15 if traffic is really horrible inside the airport service roads at midday - not way to know in advance. Give the driver a nice tip, as s/he isn't making a long drive into Manhattan, higher fare is more tipping by percentage.

Be advised that the hotel's relatively residential location preclude a wide choice of meals & dining, for lunch & dinner - takeout/delivery services will most likely be your best option, "Google" it ahead to plan accordingly.

Any private service recommendations? Really appreciate all your insight. First time in New York.

I've booked Dial 7 multiple times for port and/or airport transfers and have always been pleased. While every company will occasionally have a disgruntled customer, I can't recall hearing much negative feedback on them. Likewise for Carmel, although I've never used that one myself.

Thank you so very much for that information. You are a wealth of knowledge. We will take a taxi or car service for sure. When we have flown in to board a ship sailing out of New York , we have flown into Newark in the past and they have an awsome transport system to get you to the shuttle area, so I was thinking this might be the same, but that's ok, car service or taxi it is !

One more question please, when we leave that hotel for the port, should we take a cab or private car service? I called the hotel and they said Taxi to the port would be around $50, does private car service cost the same?

Do I understandn this correctly that if we hire a private car service from LaGuardia to the hotel, we would still have to shuttle over to get the car service? Are the Taxi's willing to take us to the hotel also where we don't have to take a shuttle ?

Do I understandn this correctly that if we hire a private car service from LaGuardia to the hotel, we would still have to shuttle over to get the car service? Are the Taxi's willing to take us to the hotel also where we don't have to take a shuttle ?

Currently, due to ongoing airport construction, car services and Uber/Lyft are permitted to pick up passengers only in the Terminal B parking garage. On the other hand taxis can pick up passengers directly outside of each of the airline terminals. Since your husband's mobility is limited you're much better off taking a taxi to the hotel rather than a car service or Uber/Lyft.

One more question please, when we leave that hotel for the port, should we take a cab or private car service? I called the hotel and they said Taxi to the port would be around $50, does private car service cost the same?

Car service will probably be in the same ballpark as taxi fare most of the time. The advantage of using a car service is that you're going to know in advance exactly what the fare is (add tolls and tip to that) while the taxi fare will be metered (plus tolls and tip) and if you're unlucky enough to be caught in a traffic jam the meter will keep rolling up the fare, so in that circumstance taxi fare could be much higher than car service fare for the same trip.

Yes