Help With Airlines From Charlotte, NC to Sydney

ridgerunner51

I would appreciate feedback on the comfort of economy or premium economy seats on airlines that fly from Charlotte to Sydney. We are looking at flights that leave from LAX for the last part of the journey. I need to lean back as far as possible.

Since you are in an AA dominated town, I’d suggest AA to LAX connecting to one world partner Qantus, flying PE LAX to Sidney.

FWIW, we did Qantus DFW to Sidney non stop in PE. Comfortable seats and good service. Not sure why you want to fly all the way to LAX, but doing so will make the second leg a little shorter .

You do have lots of options.

Certainly AA and Quantas are good options to start with.

Look very closely at the connection times. Allow a good amount at LAX.

We just flew there in February. Didn't start at Charlotte but started in Texas and went through LAX.

I would look at two scenarios should you go direct from Charlotte to LAX and then to Sydney. That would be doing it on one day and the other option is staying over in Los Angeles. We did it one day. I didn't like the connections to start with. Three options and the one with the least amount of time (but more then legal time) I didn't want to do as I was concerned if there was a big deal on the first flight we miss the connection. So I went with the second flight of the day but still early. We ended up spending way to much time at LAX and it just made for a very long day as I believe once we boarded the flight in LAX it was close to 15 hours.

The next time we do this (which will be next year) I will look at both options.

I will also look at Qantas again. At the time Qantas fares were higher then those of AA. My understanding is that is not the case but haven't repriced them yet. I also understand that UA has started directs between Houston and Sydney and that might be adding competition in this state.

I would start with a search engine such as:

https://matrix.itasoftware.com

It provides a good way of looking at a wide range of flights across most airlines and you can adjust it as you see fit such as the number of flights, what type of cabin service you want, etc, etc.

Keith

When are you flying?

Use this chart - https://www.seatguru.com/charts/premium_economy.php - to compare premium economy products across various airlines. And be sure that when you say "premium economy" you're distinguishing between "true" premium economy and the "economy plus" (various names) kinds of extra-legroom-but-otherwise-normal economy seats, like "economy plus" on United or "main cabin extra" on American. These are NOT premium economy services.

Also look at the actual planes being used (ITA will show you.) Boeing 787s and Airbus 350s have higher air pressure in their cabins, making for a much more comfortable long-haul experience - you arrive less dried out and tired than on older planes.

Though honestly a lonnng flight, the non stop A380 Airbus Qantas flight from DFW in true PE is worthwhile. Would I had preferred BC , certainly, but at the price PE was an excellent option on the A380. We got two seats ( window and aisle) on the 2-4-2 PE arrangement.

Though honestly a lonnng flight, the non stop A380 Airbus Qantas flight from DFW in true PE is worthwhile. Would I had preferred BC , certainly, but at the price PE was an excellent option on the A380. We got two seats ( window and aisle) on the 2-4-2 PE arrangement.

FWIW, we did Qantus DFW to Sidney non stop in PE. Comfortable seats and good service. Not sure why you want to fly all the way to LAX, but doing so will make the second leg a little shorter .

The total distance from Charlotte to Sydney is 900mi shorter via LAX than it is via DFW (which totals around 10% of the total distance, so not a small amount either). DFW is out of the way, and LAX offers many more options. And not just on Qantas.

The total distance from Charlotte to Sydney is 900mi shorter via LAX than it is via DFW (which totals around 10% of the total distance, so not a small amount either). DFW is out of the way, and LAX offers many more options. And not just on Qantas.

Check your math. Or is GCMap wrong?

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=clt-lax-syd-dfw-clt

Concur though that LAX offers far more options. QF at DFW is a one-trick pony.

Check your math. Or is GCMap wrong?

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=clt-lax-syd-dfw-clt

Concur though that LAX offers far more options. QF at DFW is a one-trick pony.

Well crap, I was using GCMap for my numbers but must have punched something in wrong. OK, so DFW is slightly less distance (barely). I personally do love the DFW-SYD flight and use it regularly living in Kansas City, but since I end up in Melbourne more than Sydney I am often on the LAX-MEL flights. LAX just offers so many more options to AUS/NZ as a whole, it's hard to avoid.

I would appreciate feedback on the comfort of economy or premium economy seats on airlines that fly from Charlotte to Sydney. We are looking at flights that leave from LAX for the last part of the journey. I need to lean back as far as possible.

This is totally off subject but - I want to go from San Diego to Raleigh NC. Since you live in NC can you tell me the best a/l to choose from please?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since you live in NC can you tell me the best a/l to choose from please?
As always when this question is asked on this forum: What on earth do you mean by "best"? Some people think that it's "best" if it's cheapest, and some people think that it's "best" when the only passengers on board are themselves. Where are you in that spectrum, and what is important to you?

As always when this question is asked on this forum: What on earth do you mean by "best"? Some people think that it's "best" if it's cheapest, and some people think that it's "best" when the only passengers on board are themselves. Where are you in that spectrum, and what is important to you?

An airline that has more than one flight in and out of the city in a day, that flies to and from southern Calif.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

An airline that has more than one flight in and out of the city in a day, that flies to and from southern Calif.

Well, that leaves you with American, Delta, United, JetBlue, Frontier, Southwest and Alaska. Pretty much eliminated very little.

Well, that leaves you with American, Delta, United, JetBlue, Frontier, Southwest and Alaska. Pretty much eliminated very little.

I believe Spirit is also an option. Looks like 1 nonstop, but multiple options with a connection.

So Darlipoo.... what's really important?

Legroom? Baggage limits? Seat selection policy? Seat configuration? Frequent flyer program? Option to select/upgrade to first class? Connection city/time?

Note that I didn't include price, because everyone wants the lowest price possible, but getting it generally involves giving up something (or multiple things) from the above list. Understanding what's really important can help you compare prices and decide how low of a price you insist on or how high of a price you're willing to pay.