Directions Bayonne Port

Nana57

If the Bayonne Bridge is closed, how can I get to the port without going thru Manhattan? Im coming from Queens. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Stay on I278 to the Goethals Bridge. Take the NJ Turnpike North to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and get off at exit 14A. Take Avenue E to the light at 45th St, make a left and follow the road until it deadends at Goldsboro Drive. Make a left and keep going until you reach the ship.

If the Bayonne Bridge is closed, how can I get to the port without going thru Manhattan? Im coming from Queens. Thanks.

If you are coming from queens, why not take the GW bridge to the nj turnpike to 14a? Probably same time and you won't pay the exorbitant toll on the VZ bridge.

If you are coming from queens, why not take the GW bridge to the nj turnpike to 14a? Probably same time and you won't pay the exorbitant toll on the VZ bridge.

She’d have to go over either the Throgs Neck or Whitestone and use the Cross Bronx Expressway.

I think taking the Holland Tunnel works best especially on a weekend. I know OP wants to avoid Manhattan but this is the fastest way.

She’d have to go over either the Throgs Neck or Whitestone and use the Cross Bronx Expressway.

I think taking the Holland Tunnel works best especially on a weekend. I know OP wants to avoid Manhattan but this is the fastest way.

Agreed. She should be aware that driving around NYC is not an exact science. The shortest route may not be the fastest. Accidents, road closures, events, construction, etc., you better have both a plan and an alternate route in mind.

It depends, IMO, being native Queens NY'er for more than almost 3 decade ... on how to get to Cape Liberty, as noted above.

With the bike lanes & traffic restrictions on the Lower East Side,whether it's coming off the Brooklyn, Manhattan or Williamsburg Bridge on weekend mornings, if leaving "early" enough - depending on where OP live in Queens - it might work just fine. But, even on an "ideal" day (no such thing, this is NYC) it will take easily 15+ minutes to get thru all the traffic lights & if taking side streets, stop signs - to get to one of the approaches to the Holland Tunnel - anyone crazy enough to drive & commute into Manhattan know this ...

We are in N.E. Queens by the Whitestone Bridge, and for us - if we are to drive to Cape Liberty or Bayonne, the fastest route is not getting on the LIE/GCP to I-278 for the East River crossings on the East Side, then crosstown to the west for the Tunnel. It's either the RFK a/k/a old Trioborough Bridge to connect to the I-95 South for the GW Bridge, past Fort Lee, NJ and then south on the NJ Turnpike - no traffic lights & stop signs, once we get onto the highway nearby - or, go east first & head over the Bronx Whitestone Bridge, onto the hated I-95 South across to the GW. In most instances, getting onto the Cross Bronx/I-95 before 9:30 to 10 am on weekend morning is fine, traffic typically moving at or close to the posted speed limit - trailers struggled to go uphill hauling heavy loads - slowing everything & everyone down & there isn't much traffic management can do.

Use a real-time GPS traffic app like Waze and/or what's on the iPhone or smartphone, and get AI help on the best/fastest approch, and if option A and B are within 5 to 10 minutes apart, just roll the dice & go with your "gut" feelings and preferred approach to cross the Hudson River to cruise.

On a cloud day with rain, like this morning - be mindful of urban flash flooding & ponds of water in the roadway ... just another monkey wrench, possibly getting in the way.

All I know is BQE to Williamsburg or Manhattan Bridge to Holland Tunnel. It always works for us. The tricky part is getting from Canal Street to the Tunnel but it’s not cross town traffic. Once you cross the Tunnel you’re already in Jersey City.

The OP asked for options to get to Cape Liberty if the Bayonne Bridge is closed and I think everyone has provided details about the many available options.

My Long Island friends always seem to take the Verrazano Bridge and the Bayonne Bridge. When the Bayonne Bridge was closed, they simply continued on to the Goethals Bridge and NJ Turnpike. In recent months the Bayonne Bridge closings have been limited to overnight times. So if the OP feels comfortable with this route, I think the odds are that the Bayonne Bridge will be open when they need to cross it.