European Cruise Questions

saltshell

First European Cruise. 14 days, Amsterdam to Rome. Are there US goods in the shops, liquor, toiletries, cigarettes? Are fresh foodstuffs onloaded at European ports? Do cruises use the pool and or hot tubs in mid September? I gather there are 3 gala nights; is this correct? Thanks in advance.

Fresh foodstuffs are loaded on at European ports, but also things like butter, yogurt, and milk. If you have a favorite brand, you probably will not find it depending on when and where things were loaded on your cruise. And brands can change mid-cruise when they run out of things.

There are US brands of medicines, toiletries, sunscreen, and snack items in the shops, but they are quite expensive. I paid nearly $20 for a box of nyquil cold & flu, and over $9 for Ricola. I think a small can of Pringles was around $3.

If it is okay to jump in here... Since it seems that food supplies are brought onboard, will you see special items and featured items on the menu, depending on the port/destination. I am not sure that most cruise lines are big on this, and am wondering if HAL makes more of an effort to see that food availability and menus reflect the destination.

If it is okay to jump in here... Since it seems that food supplies are brought onboard, will you see special items and featured items on the menu, depending on the port/destination. I am not sure that most cruise lines are big on this, and am wondering if HAL makes more of an effort to see that food availability and menus reflect the destination.

Unfortunately, with a few exception nearly all the menus and food are just as you would get in the Caribbean or Alaska. HAL, like most of the US based lines, purchases most of their food supplies in North America, has then packed in containers, and ships them ahead to ports. Some products are sourced locally such as fresh fruit and vegetables. The menus on HAL are pretty much the same no matter where in the world you are cruising. They will have the usual Prime Rib, escargot, dessert crisps, etc. While many cruisers seem to appreciate the consistency (of menus) there are some of us who would be delighted to have more menu items that reflect the locale. Instead of getting tasteless farmed fish from North America,,,,,it would be nice to get fresh fish from Europe or Asia. On the other hand, having spent my share of time traveling in Europe and Asia we are grateful that the cruise lines ship in most of their meat :)

Hank

The ship's shops have a very limited supply of toiletries; if you are arriving at your departure port a day early, I'd suggest shopping for what you need there, or bringing an adequate supply from home.

Any liquor purchase made from the duty free in the shops will be held for you until the last night before you leave the ship, unless you purchase a bottle from one of the bars or room service for consumption in your room.

The pools and hot tubs are usually open for your use.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Sounds like I'll have to get my fill of croissants, baguettes, waffles, and fries in port. May not want to get into a bathing suit after all that!

HAL has wonderful fresh baked goods at every meal on board that covers most of your desires and then some, Almost no one does fries better than the HAL Dive-In, found at the Lido pool side. These are "Dutch" ships afterall - they know their potatoes. The HAL breads with their sweet butter is always my own personal bathing suit busting downfall. I could easily make all three meals just bread and butter onboard any HAL ships.

I am still bearing the burden of the wonderful croissants on the Oosterdam 16 day Panama Canal cruise. The breakfast pastries look gorgeous. Saltshell I think I am going to be on the same cruise out of Amsterdam to Rome in mid-September.

Add crepes to that list of street food in France and Belgium.

Can't wait as we are on the Prinsendam in September.

:cool:

HAL ships now have freshly made crepes in the Lido. To get a classic, I first pick up some lemon slices to squeeze on it from the coffee tea station, a few sugar packets naturally some sweet butter. A lemon sugar butter crepe. Superb. That said, I like the HAL morning raisin rolls, which are like hot cross buns but without the cross, almost best of all.

The only thing missing is the truly crunchy shell soft, chewy interior real French baugette. But what they bake that they call "baguettes" that are used for the Lido Grab and Go Sandwiches are terrific.

HAL ships now have freshly made crepes in the Lido. To get a classic, I first pick up some lemon slices to squeeze on it from the coffee tea station, a few sugar packets naturally some sweet butter. A lemon sugar butter crepe. Superb. That said, I like the HAL morning raisin rolls, which are like hot cross buns but without the cross, almost best of all.

The only thing missing is the truly crunchy shell soft, chewy interior real French baugette. But what they bake that they call "baguettes" that are used for the Lido Grab and Go Sandwiches are terrific.

And the crepes are OK? I tried them on Veendam several years ago, and they should have had "Goodyear" stamped on them.

K'dam has a bakery section of the buffet that turns out all kinds of fresh (baked right behind the counter!) goodies. Very dangerous.

And the crepes are OK? I tried them on Veendam several years ago, and they should have had "Goodyear" stamped on them.

K'dam has a bakery section of the buffet that turns out all kinds of fresh (baked right behind the counter!) goodies. Very dangerous.

Did not like the "Goodyear" crepes offered in the main dining room either, but freshly made right in front of you at the Lido are pretty good. Are they dense, eggy batter griddled to light perfection, no. But they are good and rich enough to not indulge in them too often. Though the typical Lido offerings for the crepes are heavy, sweet and cloying. Which is why I opted for my own scavenger lemon-sugar-butter version.