Customs Declaration US/Canada Smoked Salmon

bgyoshi

So we are US citizens, sailing to Alaska out of Vancouver. We bought smoked salmon (the packaged non-refrigerated kind) from Alaska. Obviously, we have to go thru Canada Customs when we return to Vancouver. Then US customs when we go back to our home city. How do we declare that? Do we check “yes” for having fish? Would that mean they’ll check my luggage?

Any insights would be great. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do not think you need to declare in Canada unless you are leaving the fish there

I know when we come back to the USA we do not declare anything we do it when we return to Canada

You could always call the CBSA to be sure

found this

http://inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/what-can-i-bring-into-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990#a1

Don't know about the fish part, but customs at Canada Place was easy - all they seemed interested in was collecting the form. I'm not even sure the guy we had looked at them.

Not even a form to hand in at the US side of YVR departures (although you fill out a digital version at the customs kiosk).

Now I would know what to expect, but I found YVR's unique procedures to be a bit daunting as a newb.

On your return to Vancouver you'll have a customs form to fill out. Yes, you have to declare the fish. It shouldn't be a problem . What will be a problem is if you fail to declare it and then they find it. Some of the dogs are there to sniff out food products. The fine you'll get won't be for the fish, but for failing to declare.

There is no problem bringing salmon back. Half of the people on the ship will half salmon. The key is to declare it. If you don't declare it you get in trouble, declare it and they waive you through.

Yes, declare it. The customs agent will ask what food you're bringing in, you answer, and then you go on your way. No problem. The problems occur when you do not declare the food you are bringing in. (Every time I return from Europe I bring cheese with me. I declare it, answer the agent's questions, and go on my way.)

I have been in this situation: US citizen returning via Vancouver from an Alaska cruise. I declared fish for smoked salmon. I think I also declared nuts for some packaged, unopened trail mix or a Kind bar. I sailed right through customs.

Always declare food - whether it's prepackaged or not. I've even declared granola bars, because I'm not about to get lectured or fined for not declaring food coming into the country. It's best to err on the side of caution and have them ask me what kind of food I'm bringing, rather than pulling me over after a cute little sniffer dog has decided to sit beside my carry-on or checked luggage.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...
See post 11. The OP went thru Customs 10 days ago.

:p Hmm Other persons may be interested in the conversation. None is directed only to OP. It is for all who come here is it not?. ;)

Has no problem with smoked salmon and reindeer sausage with USCBP.

No more paper forms at the airports, USCBP now use electronic kiosks after you’ve checked your bags. No idea what happens if they want to check your stuff. Assuming they’re not fragile, pack them on the top of your stuff in your suitcase.

If flying out of Vancouver you’ll clear US customs there.