Getting around Bermuda on a mobility scooter

I will be traveling with my MIL in a few weeks to Bermuda and she is in a mobility scooter. We have taken her out of country on the scooter with no problems...my concern is I have read that she cannot drive the mobility scooter on the street (which would normally not be a problem) but it seems a lot of streets in Bermuda do not have sidewalks...

Where is she supposed to drive her scooter if there is no sidewalk and the street is not allowed? I wanted to take her in the ferry up to St George's to see the unfinished church but getting there may be an issues ... or an expensive taxi ride.

I will be traveling with my MIL in a few weeks to Bermuda and she is in a mobility scooter. We have taken her out of country on the scooter with no problems...my concern is I have read that she cannot drive the mobility scooter on the street (which would normally not be a problem) but it seems a lot of streets in Bermuda do not have sidewalks...

Where is she supposed to drive her scooter if there is no sidewalk and the street is not allowed? I wanted to take her in the ferry up to St George's to see the unfinished church but getting there may be an issues ... or an expensive taxi ride.

Bermuda is not all that accessible friendly. It's not that mobility scooters aren't allowed to be driven on the streets. It's that the streets and limited sidewalks are congested and no one is watching for people using mobility scooters, wheelchairs and or any other type of mobility equipments making it unsafe. The ferry does have a rollon ramp but the problem than becomes once your on St. George the roads can be steep and hilly. Unfortunately the only safe option once arriving at St. George is to take a taxi. If the scooter is a portable size most will lift it into the back of the van if they have assistance. Your MIL would have to be able to transfer in/out of the van. Public buses do not have lifts. Check out this link http://www.bermuda-online.org/BPHA.htm

Edited by xxoocruiser

We've been to Bermuda twice. When we went my sister was using her Luggie so it's portable. We did take the ferry to Hamilton a couple of times. Once we got there Hamilton is hit or miss. There are steps to many of the shops and restaurants but we managed. We did go to St. George's on an excursion. With that said, we ended up spending alot of time in the port area. We did go to the Wednesday evening fair in Hamilton (I think they only do that in the summer) and that was just fine.

Hi

I also us a small mobility scooter. Two years ago I visited Bermuda, I had no problem getting round at all. Being from the UK and have managed places such as Tallinn, Venice and Athens, Bermuda was simple. On the first day we just got the ferry to Hamilton with no problem. On the second day we did a 5 hour tour of the island, which included a stop in St. Georges with a company called Bermuda Island Tours & more. (www.bermudaislandtours.com) The tour was excellent, Juanita (the owner) was brilliant and just put my scooter on the mini bus. The tour cost about £50.00 each and was excellent value for money.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an idea... if you google 'unfinished church st Georges Bermuda" you can see a map of the location. You can then see street view by dragging the little yellow stick figure onto the map. It will give you a good idea of what the roads look like. Now as I recall it is up a fairly steep hill, which is not clear on the map. You might try that island tour that Scooter girl 58 suggested... because I think it will be tricky taking the scooter there from the port. Steep and very narrow roads... more traffic than the map shows. So getting a ride there would be probably the best idea. I haven't been to Bermuda in over 10 years, but I recall challenges getting into shops in Hamilton. But using the street view... looks like things have improved... but a few shops look difficult to enter. I think Scooter girl had a great idea.

we went to bermuda last year. i also use a mobility scooter. in port you drive in the streets. not a big deal. we took the water taxi to hamilton used the skooter there. some sidewalks some streets. cant say there was a problem at all.

When we went to Bemuda last year, the ferry to St. George did not take mobility scooters. We had a manual wheelchair and it did not affect us, but we saw one lady in a mobility scooter refused to board. When we arrived at St. George, there was a gap and it took two men to lift the wheelchair onto the dock. This may have been why no mobility scooter was allowed. I did notice on the ferry schedule there was a footnote that said no scooters allowed on the ferry. I suggest to check to see if mobility scooters are allowed now.