Buenos Aires 0500 arrival, 1145 flight doable ??

downundermatt

Our Transatlantic finishes in Buenos Aires this December, and we wish to head straight to Iguazu Falls.

The ship is scheduled to dock at 0500, and we are looking at a 1145 departure from AEP (Jorge Newbery Airport, which I understand is closer to the cruise terminal than the other airport EZE.

Am i being overly optimistic, I really want to make the most of our two days at the Falls.

I understanding arriving in BA can be problematical. (Taxis etc)

These comments from others might be of interest.

The 11.45 am flight is doable. How do you intend to deal with your (presumably) excess luggage? A domestic flight baggage limit will be on the order of 15 Kg pp (23 Kg max). You'll need to make some provision unless you either pack extremely light for your cruise or don't mind paying hefty excess baggage fees. If you want to check your extra luggage at AEP, you can easily, safely and without too much expense do just that. Leave about 20 minutes extra for that.

Once you deal with the above issues you can worry about having to deal with the mafia-like port taxi cab ripoff artists. They will charge 5 times the fare for the ride from the cruise terminal to AEP Perhaps prebook a radio cab. There are several companies, check out their web sites

Premium Taxi Co is one of the largest in BA. http://www.taxipremium.com/

Another is http://www.buenosairestaxis.com/airport-transfer/

I doubt you will get off the ship before about 7.30 am at the earliest but your cruise line might be able to tell you how early Customs etc. will show up. The distance to AEP is not that far. The suggested timing is to be picked up 2.5 hours prior to your flight plus a bit more if you plan to check luggage at the AEP.

Another factor, other then customs, is the horrendous traffic around the cruise terminal. We were there earlier this year and it was awful!

We were there on a port visit so I don't know how they handle disembarkation but people had to take a shuttle to the actual cruise terminal from the ship. That's another timeframe to factor in. I would assume customs takes place at the terminal but as I said we weren't disembarking.

Just a note for those just visiting for the day, the ship's tour buses could come up to the ship and take you away however you had to be dropped off at the terminal after the tour and take the shuttle back to the ship..in awful traffic.

I think the luggage will be OK (LATAM give us 23 kgs) and I think we can manage with this.

I note Celebrity have a tour leaving the ships for an expensive day trip, I dare say they will get priority.

We have previously experience the chaos and taxi mafia in BA on arrival :(

I used Premium Taxi to book from the Buquebus terminal ( the ferry from Uruguay ) to the cruise terminal in BA. There were a lot of taxis and cars at the Buquebus but we eventually found the right one and got to the cruiseship terminal in about ten minutes. I booked online as our phone from Uruguay does not work in Argentina. The quote for the cruiseship terminal (Benito Quinquela Martín) to AEP on their site is approx $10.50 US or 259 Argentine pesos.

I pack close to the max allowed on international flights and had no issues with excess weight on the flight to Iguazu.

Even though you'll have plenty of time to make your scheduled flight, odds are that it won't depart on time anyway.

Even though the taxi line and the port in general is a zoo, we really didn't encounter any traffic delays getting out of the port and over to AEP.