Labadee versus Coco Cay

Morning, All! Can you please compare these two private islands in terms of aesthetics, activities, beach, facilities, distance from ship to beach, shopping, lunch options? I've been to Coco Cay and loved it but never to Labadee, so I'm interested to learn of your experiences. Thank you!

Shopping at Coco Cay is relaxed and non-confrontational. Much more aggressive selling at Labadee.

Lunch is pretty much the same.

You can still walk a ways down the beach at Coco Cay and get away from most of the crowds. Have not found that at Labadee, except at the suite beach.

Maybe it's just me. I prefer Labadee, because I can go there. They have a dock. Coco Cay does not, and if the weather is bad, you will miss it. I've actually *never* been there...every single time we are supposed to go we are unable to tender due to the weather.

Just something to consider.

RCI is currently building a hard dock at Coco Cay, which should be done in about a year. They are also transforming the cute little beach island into yet another "theme park" atmosphere. Nice for some, but IMHO if I wanted that...I would just go to Disney, Sea World...etc. They transformed Labadee from the little beach stop in much the same way...but Coco Cay is going to be much more extreme. Shame to see the natural beauty destroyed like that, there are so few places you can go for a quiet and relaxing beach experience now.

Coco Cay is an island. Labadee is not (small point of land off the north coast of the country of Haiti).

Agree...vendors at Labadee are very aggressive, but only if you get near the vendor village. They don't cruise the beach with goods like some foreign ports.

Both have complimentary beach BBQ lunch set ups.

Edited by island lady

AFAIK, we can't post links here, but another thing that might help you is go to google maps and search both locations. Turn on the satellite view and you'll get an idea of the size and facilities.

My own feedback is CC has better beach for the non-suite people. We hated the straw market on Labadee as they were very pushy.

Cocoa Cay has always been my favorite, a beautiful beach especially if you walk up the beach away from the crowds. Labadee was that way too when we first went there in 1999 but IMO, Royal ruined it when they put the commercial stuff in. I’m not excited about the “enhancements” being built, although the dock will be nice.

Sherri:)

CocoCay is quieter and much more laid back and relaxed...if you like that thing. However, with the changes coming it will be alike a theme park in Florida by 2019.

Labadee is bigger, more to do and see as of right now, but defn more aggressive and not as peaceful in my experiences and opinion.

As a scuba diver/ snorkeler - Coco Cay is much better. If I forget about that, I'm happy to spend a day at either location the way things are now. Coco Cay is about to under go massive changes if current plans are carried out.

Shopping at Coco Cay is relaxed and non-confrontational. Much more aggressive selling at Labadee.

You can still walk a ways down the beach at Coco Cay and get away from most of the crowds. Have not found that at Labadee, except at the suite beach.

I have been to Labadee many times .Whenever I go I wear a Labadee tee shirt and tend not to be hassled .You can stop in the large store near the entrance buy a tee and wear it .

If you are staying in a suite I would say Labadee is the better stop and the enhanced buffet for suites on Barefoot Beach is delicious - think shrimp and scallop brochettes, lamb chops and filet mignon.

I have been to Labadee many times .Whenever I go I wear a Labadee tee shirt and tend not to be hassled .You can stop in the large store near the entrance buy a tee and wear it .

30 years ago there was no locals selling wares at Labadee, was very rustic then. Dozen times trying do Coco Cay 1994-2004 missed at least 1/4 of them due to waves, weather, Hurricanes. Instead we'd head to Nassau. NCL's Island/Beaches next door were better back then, though Coco Cay/Labadee has improved over the years...more better and some worse.

Agreed about the aggressive selling at Labadee.

cocoa cay has always been my favorite, a beautiful beach especially if you walk up the beach away from the crowds. Labadee was that way too when we first went there in 1999 but imo, royal ruined it when they put the commercial stuff in. I’m not excited about the “enhancements” being built, although the dock will be nice.

Sherri:)

+1^ :(

If you are staying in a suite I would say Labadee is the better stop and the enhanced buffet for suites on Barefoot Beach is delicious - think shrimp and scallop brochettes, lamb chops and filet mignon.

We did this 5 months ago, buffet was great, disappointed that coco cay has a suite beach, but they have buffet

+2. I loved Labadee 10 years ago before they ruined it. I fear the same thing will be happening to Coco Cay.

Our favorite area at Labadee before the hard dock went in, was actually a nice quiet little beach away from everything else that had good snorkeling. It was the spot was where the pier went in.

Indeed now they are doing the same thing at Coco Cay...but I think it will be much worse. This last time they were not even taking care of the Nature Trail that we always enjoyed walking in the past years. (No money in that I guess).

Over done $$$ theme park score one...Mother Nature score zero.

"Paved paradise and put up a parking lot". :mad:

Our favorite area at Labadee before the hard dock went in, was actually a nice quiet little beach away from everything else that had good snorkeling. It was the spot was where the pier went in.

Indeed now they are doing the same thing at Coco Cay...but I think it will be much worse. This last time they were not even taking care of the Nature Trail that we always enjoyed walking in the past years. (No money in that I guess).

Over done $$$ theme park score one...Mother Nature score zero.

"Paved paradise and put up a parking lot". :mad:

That sums it up perfectly. I guess I'll just stay onboard and enjoy the nearly empty pool deck from now on when visiting Coco Cay (I gave up on Labadee years ago).

That sums it up perfectly. I guess I'll just stay onboard and enjoy the nearly empty pool deck from now on when visiting Coco Cay (I gave up on Labadee years ago).

Agree. We do sort of the same thing at Labadee (though I try to avoid itineraries that go there now). We do get off the ship, just to get some walking time in early, then back on the ship to enjoy the uncrowded areas and lunch on board. :)

Sad to say this may be what we end up doing now at Coco Cay also. Used to love the uncrowded other end of the island with the great view. They are tearing that all up now. :o:(

I prefer coco cay because the alcohol choices are greater.

(that sounds bad) I know, but drink choices have been limited in labadee!:cool:

What is the difference between a "Coco Loco" and a "Labadooze"?

...the location. ;) Same drink. :tropical-drink:

Why does wearing a Labadee t-shirt change the way vendors interact with you?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums