Just Curious

I have a silly educational question:

How many cruises one has to take to earn diamond status?

My family and I take a vacation or 2 a year, but we don’t always cruise. We choose different destinations each time. Last year we went to Disney. From 2011 - this summer, we have only been on 6 cruises. This is our first with RC.

I noticed that many cruisers on this board have high status such as Diamond or Diamond+. I am curious how many cruises it take to be recognized as a diamond passenger.

I also wonder how other people can earn that status so quick. It will probably be years for us to earn this status :) but I am curious.

My family and I take a vacation or 2 a year, but we don’t always cruise. We choose different destinations each time. Last year we went to Disney. From 2011 - this summer, we have only been on 6 cruises. This is our first with RC.

I noticed that many cruisers on this board have high status such as Diamond or Diamond+. I am curious how many cruises it take to be recognized as a diamond passenger.

I also wonder how other people can earn that status so quick. It will probably be years for us to earn this status :) but I am curious.

Diamond is 80 cruise credits. Diamond + is 175. Suites and higher earn double credits. Cruising solo earns you double credits. 1 credit point = one night at sea.

Edited by Johnamac123

I just shy of Diamond Plus. I achieved it much as others have mentioned: solo cruising in a suite. I don't stick to one line, so it probably took longer. But I also relish in not being a loyalty sucker. All the cruise lines are basically the same, with different fleets offering some varied differences. I think people who are passionately loyal to one brand are missing out. Obviously, they enjoy cruising, yet inexplicably, they believe themselves to be so particular and inflexible that they cannot possibly go without certain specifics of one line.

I just shy of Diamond Plus. I achieved it much as others have mentioned: solo cruising in a suite. I don't stick to one line, so it probably took longer. But I also relish in not being a loyalty sucker. All the cruise lines are basically the same, with different fleets offering some varied differences. I think people who are passionately loyal to one brand are missing out. Obviously, they enjoy cruising, yet inexplicably, they believe themselves to be so particular and inflexible that they cannot possibly go without certain specifics of one line.

...or they're just comfortable. If all cruise lines are basically the same as you say then why try something else if it works. We've bounced around too but I can see why people stay loyal. I think it's cliche to call all of them basically the same. We found ourselves sailing more Royal than others because of the variety of ship classes.

First cruise on Royal in 1988, Diamond in 10 yrs. Back then Diamond was tops, welcome in the Concierge Lounge, always off ship first. The Diamond gathering taking over the Crown Lounge, at most had 6-10 of us sitting one on one with Captain, Doctor, Cruise Director and Chief Engineer. All Formal... Now cruises I go on there is over 1000 upper tier members...

I just shy of Diamond Plus. I achieved it much as others have mentioned: solo cruising in a suite. I don't stick to one line, so it probably took longer. But I also relish in not being a loyalty sucker. All the cruise lines are basically the same, with different fleets offering some varied differences. I think people who are passionately loyal to one brand are missing out. Obviously, they enjoy cruising, yet inexplicably, they believe themselves to be so particular and inflexible that they cannot possibly go without certain specifics of one line.[/quote]

Our first cruise was on Royal Caribbean and we have cruised solely with them ever since. Are there better options out there? Maybe, maybe not. We are very happy with RCI so why change? What if we aren't happy with the other line that we decided to try? Then we will have spent money on something that did not live up to what we were hoping for. If we were not happy with the product that RCI offers, we would switch. We are happy where we are so why take a chance on something we may not be happy with.

The money I have saved paying 150% for solo is in the thousands of dollars.

Other lines don't give this deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The money I have saved paying 150% for solo is in the thousands of dollars.

Other lines don't give this deal.

Continuing on the "just curious" theme of this thread, how do you save money while traveling solo in a suite? I just tried to put a 9-day cruise on the Grandeur in my cart and it was over $6k for a solo suite and a little over $2k for a solo interior cabin. What should I be doing to bring costs down if I'm trying to run up my Crown and Anchor points? Would a TA make a big difference in a situation like that?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I earned my Diamond status by cruising Rccl since 2005 when they opened cape liberty..as .I lived in Bayonne where this port is. I did interior to balcony only..sometimes with others othertimes alone.

Once 3 of us shared a jr suite for alaska as it was the best priced option.

I married in 2015 and my husband became diamond through me..he had never cruised before but just finished cruise #6 last week on our 5 night anthem to bermuda trip.

Starting with my 1st cruise on celebrity in 2002, I just finished my 21st cruise between celebrity and rccl.

LIving in NJ where the port is accounts for a large % of these cruises...I enjoy skipping the airport hassle.

And when they ran the thur to following sun 9 night cruises you only needed 7 days off from work....explorer/voyager from bayonne

But the diamond level was never a goal..it just happened. And I have no plans to cruise just to reach the next level. Perks change all the time and as I am not a big drinker the happy hour is not a huge deal for me..

I plan just as many land vacations...heading to boston for this 3 day holiday weekend and have a 4 night trip to san fran for labor day weekend.

I think the old points way of 1 point per cruise regardless of how many nights the cruise was helped accumulate points faster because people took the 3 to 4 night cruises and got the same credits as those taking 7 night or longer cruises...from what I have read on the boards that is why there are so many diamonds and above.

Linda

Continuing on the "just curious" theme of this thread, how do you save money while traveling solo in a suite? I just tried to put a 9-day cruise on the Grandeur in my cart and it was over $6k for a solo suite and a little over $2k for a solo interior cabin. What should I be doing to bring costs down if I'm trying to run up my Crown and Anchor points? Would a TA make a big difference in a situation like that?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

You can't save money as a solo

(150%) until you have over 340 pts. with Royal.

To get to Diamond you need:

80 nights at Sea with Royal in any cabin other than a Suite

40 nights in a Suite (as you get double points)

NOTE: You ONLY get points for the room you actually stay in. You can't earn points on rooms booked for other family members (e.g. no points for you for kids or grand kids. They can actually get their own points)

Once there you do get some discounts when you book other future cruises as long as you book 6 months in advance but to get there you first have to spend significant coin. We have chosen to cruise on various cruise lines based on itinerary and ship and enjoy sailing on multiple lines so we aren't "chasing" diamond. Wife is currently Platinum so we are a ways from Diamond but we do tend to book suites so... one day

Wow... thank you all for sharing your experience.

I learned something new today: earning more points by cruising solo.

My family and I (4 persons) usually take 7 nights cruise in 2 balcony rooms. Next time, I will try to see if the cost of a jr. suite is a better option.

Happy cruising.

Our first cruise was on Royal Caribbean and we have cruised solely with them ever since. Are there better options out there? Maybe, maybe not. We are very happy with RCI so why change? What if we aren't happy with the other line that we decided to try? Then we will have spent money on something that did not live up to what we were hoping for. If we were not happy with the product that RCI offers, we would switch. We are happy where we are so why take a chance on something we may not be happy with.

Variety is the spice of life. Have you only stayed at one hotel chain your entire life, just because you liked it? Only ate at one restaurant chain, just because you liked it? Only flown one airline, just because you liked it? What a boring existence.

Variety is the spice of life. Have you only stayed at one hotel chain your entire life, just because you liked it? Only ate at one restaurant chain, just because you liked it? Only flown one airline, just because you liked it? What a boring existence.

I get your thought process. However hotels, restaurants and airlines don't cost several thousand dollars to experiment with. We're happy with RCI for now. If things change in the future, we'll consider altering our boring life.

I have been cruising since 1986. I can’t afford the luxury of being able to sail in a suite or taking multiple cruises a year like a lot of CC members can. I am not influenced by the loyalty programs that really don’t offer much in benefits because for me the goals are too far out of sight. Let’s face it. If I could afford to sail as a solo in a suite are a few free drinks in the Diamond lounge really going to mean anything to me?

I choose a cruise based on price and itinerary. My go to lines are Princess, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. I have reached Platinum on Princess but have yet to sail a cruise at that level because the other 2 lines have worked out better for itinerary and my budget.

It’s nice that the cruise lines offer these reward programs but I’m always reading complaints about the cuts to the program. The passengers who have sold their sole to one line are the biggest complainers. They feel entitled because they were so loyal. I can’t say that I blame them but if you are sailing on one line just to achieve a status you are short changing your self.

What if you book two rooms? We get a balcony for us and an interior for our two kids. They're not paying for this so why should they get the points! Lol. Jk..but seriously..is there a way to get the points from that additional room?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Have you signed your kids up for C&A number so they are earning points? Our son will be legitimate diamond after our next cruise with 94 points earned (we sail in suites, so the double points add up quickly).

I may be wrong, but I think RCI is one of the few cruise lines that allow kids to be C&A members and earn points. I thought I looked at two other loyalty programs and they required members to be 18 and older. So I think that is cool. I know I looked into getting our son a loyalty membership with the airlines, so he could earn free flights for his air travel but he is too young. So I think it’s great that RCI offers this program to children.

Just for the sake of talking, many of us were caught up in the change over when it used to be a cruise was 1 point, 2 in a Junior suite or above and Diamond was 10 cruises. Then it switched to number of nights and as others have said 80 nights, or points became the Diamond line in the sand. There were plenty of people living near ports who would watch for deals on 3 day cruises in junior suites, so there were the 15 day Diamonds ;) (Not complaining, if I lived near a port, I would have done that) I don't remember clearly, I think it was around 2010 or 2011 the switch was made. I think I was platinum at the time and in the conversion they gave cruisers a few extra days on their total. I was instantly put in the new Emerald category. All I remember now is when boarding on Oasis class at terminal 18 in Port Everglades I got to board 5 minutes sooner and the line at the Park Cafe was shorter! It ended up with my combination of mostly 7 day cruises, some 3-5, and one 4 day Junior suite I found myself 1 point shy of Diamond after 10 cruises.

Have you signed your kids up for C&A number so they are earning points? Our son will be legitimate diamond after our next cruise with 94 points earned (we sail in suites, so the double points add up quickly).

I may be wrong, but I think RCI is one of the few cruise lines that allow kids to be C&A members and earn points. I thought I looked at two other loyalty programs and they required members to be 18 and older. So I think that is cool. I know I looked into getting our son a loyalty membership with the airlines, so he could earn free flights for his air travel but he is too young. So I think it’s great that RCI offers this program to children.

Yes! They both are signed up and will probably be diamond when they can finally afford to pay for themselves 🤣

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app