What year and what ship was your first cruise?

fla gang

How has cruising changed since your first sailing. In the early 80's people dressed up a lot more before going to dinner every night.

The ships were much smaller, some holding under 1000 passengers.

My first cruise was on Carnival Fantasy two. weeks after 911.

I have been on around 30 cruises since.

2003 Hawaii on the ncl star which hit very bad weather and the cruise was canceled half way through and the ship returned to port. Rumour had it was that they had mechanical issues with the ship. It was my honeymoon and the marriage went the same way....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Haha 1

1990 on the Oceanic (Premier Cruise Lines) back when they had the contract for Disney characters. In 28 years so much has changed that cruising is barely identifiable.

2007 - Mariner of the Seas- first sailing out of drydock. And we've been hooked ever since. Not that we needed them, but the chocolates at bedtime were a nice touch and long gone as are the towel animals every night. One change I don't like is the continual raising of prices and nagging to book specialty restaurants. Especially that the 'extra' fee USED to be the tips and now they ADD tips on top of the inflated costs. Not worth it.

Erika

June 2002, Voyager, my honeymoon. Was spoiled by the promenade and have only been on a ship smaller than Voyager once since then and that was just for 4-nights just to get to Diamond (Enchantment).

Going on my 9th cruise next month (Radiance in Alaska) so time to check out a new class (new to me) and see how I feel about not having a promenade again (although this trip is definitely about Alaska, not the ship).

1998 Carnival Celebration, we were in our early 30s with a three year old and unbeknown to us (we're British) it was Spring break!

We loved it though and it got us hooked for life

Julie

1999 Splendor of the Seas 11 day southern Caribbean to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Cruising was definitely a dressier experience, MDR was crowded every night and seemed more elegant. Dining each evening was an event, now it’s just a meal.:D

As we walked off the ship, I looked at my husband and said “We have got to do this again.” And here we are, 48 cruises later!:'):')

Sherri:)