Disembarkation Rome - Jewel of the Seas

Does anyone have experience with disembarking in Civitavechhia with RCCL? We have an arrival time of 5am and my previous cruise experience has been that they start disembarking about an 1 to 1.5 hours later. I was going to book an 8am train ticket but when I called RCCL to get their thoughts I got the general answer that it could be hours later. I'm wondering if they are just being conservative? Did it take long to get through customs?

Thank you. I was thinking if we did self assist it could speed things up?

I have no experience with this and was mainly reading for an education, but I do know the Royal Customer Service will always say that as you never know when the ship will be late or a local inspection delays it. What happens if you miss your 8am train?

Just off Jewel as well, and with number 5 I was off the boat by 7:15AM. Having never disembarked there before, I was unsure of how long it would take once I had my bags in hand. To my surprise, Grabbed my bags and walked directly outside. No customs, no screening, nothing. FYI, number 5 was the earliest a non suite, non pinnacle could disembark without doing self assist according to the chart they delivered with our dismbark number. We were originally assigned 18 and without issue were given the earlier number at guest services upon request.

Just off Jewel as well, and with number 5 I was off the boat by 7:15AM. Having never disembarked there before, I was unsure of how long it would take once I had my bags in hand. To my surprise, Grabbed my bags and walked directly outside. No customs, no screening, nothing. FYI, number 5 was the earliest a non suite, non pinnacle could disembark without doing self assist according to the chart they delivered with our dismbark number. We were originally assigned 18 and without issue were given the earlier number at guest services upon request.

Thank you. That's very helpful.

I have no experience with this and was mainly reading for an education, but I do know the Royal Customer Service will always say that as you never know when the ship will be late or a local inspection delays it. What happens if you miss your 8am train?

I can book a later train, but we are going to Venice so I was just trying to maximize my time since it's a 5.5 hour trip there.

I just got off Jewel 5/20 with 5am arrival. In my opinion a 8 am train departure would be cutting very close. We were # 23 for leaving the ship and walked out of the baggage claim area at 9am.

Did you have to go through customs? I assumed you had to but I've heard other people say they did not.

There were absolutely no customs or checks of any kind when we got off at 7:15. From gangway to bus line took us 5 min. I'm not sure if they do it differently on normal cruises. We got off the TA on 5/20

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Does anyone have experience with disembarking in Civitavechhia with RCCL? We have an arrival time of 5am and my previous cruise experience has been that they start disembarking about an 1 to 1.5 hours later. I was going to book an 8am train ticket but when I called RCCL to get their thoughts I got the general answer that it could be hours later. I'm wondering if they are just being conservative? Did it take long to get through customs?

We've only disembarked once in Civitavechhia walked off with bags doing self assist at about 07.00 am no customs at all took about five minutes.

Assuming you dock on time you really should have no problems.

We also disembarked in Rome on 5/20. We walked off the ship with our luggage before 7AM. There was no Customs till landing in the US.

The problem with such an early train ticket is that you never know if there will be a delay. We have been on cruises with various reasons for disembarkment delays. In the end, it's always a chance you are either willing to take or not.

Thank you all, The OP for this posting and the responders. We are getting off the Jewel in April of 2019 and have a flight from Rome before noon. We should be able to get off the Jewel with the first walk offs as we are very lucky to be in a full suite this time. Nice to know about customs.

If we don't fly out on this flight we would get into

Abu Dhabi very late after setting around the airport all day.

We will be taking a direct transfer from the port to the airport this time but have taken the train into Rome in the past and it worked fine.

Thank you all, The OP for this posting and the responders. We are getting off the Jewel in April of 2019 and have a flight from Rome before noon. We should be able to get off the Jewel with the first walk offs as we are very lucky to be in a full suite this time. Nice to know about customs.

If we don't fly out on this flight we would get into

Abu Dhabi very late after setting around the airport all day.

We will be taking a direct transfer from the port to the airport this time but have taken the train into Rome in the past and it worked fine.

If everything goes well you should be fine, but getting into FCO was not the easiest process i've ever encountered. The airport was relatively quiet when we flew out, but security and immigration in the airport had decent lines. I'd get to the airport as soon as possible.

I have one question about customs and entering the EU for those who terminated in Rome. Did you have immigration in one of the earlier EU ports? One time a few years ago We had a problem because our passports were not stamped when we ended in Barcelona and then we had a hassle later trying to depart from Frankfort. We had to dig up a lot of paperwork to explain how and when we entered the EU.

Things may have changed but I hope you were stamped into the EU in Spain.

Thanks Phyllis

Please note that Civitavechhia is a fair distance from Rome so take this into account.

Also arrange transfer from the ship to Civitavechhia railway station as the port bus drops you at a small bus station where you then transfer to a local bus to the station.

it all adds time

hope it helps and have a great holiday

j

Trains to Venice leave out of Rome (Termini Station). If you want to catch an 8am train from Civitavecchia to Rome (Termini), you should have no problem. Be aware that you can self disembark at 7am, then you have to load all your luggage onto the Port Bus (which is free). This bus won't take off until it is at least 1/2 full. The bus will drop you off at the Port entrance. From there, it's about 3/4 mile to the train station in Civitavecchia.

There will be taxis at the port entrance to take you to the train station, but they'll rip you off as you are a captive audience. I suppose you could get away with 10 Euro. Most of them want to take you to the Rome airport.

Realistically, you should have no problem getting off the ship to the Civitavecchia train station, leaving at 7am, but be aware of the logistics involved.

Sorry to butt in on this thread but I'm wondering if they have offered late disembarkation on this cruise? We'll be on it in 3 weeks but our flight home to the UK isn't until 10pm so I'd love to have this option if possible.

I've read previous year's posts about paying 39 euros and being able to stay onboard till 3pm, just wondered if anyone had seen this offered this year. Thanks

Sorry to butt in on this thread but I'm wondering if they have offered late disembarkation on this cruise? We'll be on it in 3 weeks but our flight home to the UK isn't until 10pm so I'd love to have this option if possible.

I've read previous year's posts about paying 39 euros and being able to stay onboard till 3pm, just wondered if anyone had seen this offered this year. Thanks

Was available last Sept....

DSC03231_zpssuc8pgey.jpg

160d6eb2-9349-4b30-bb50-25c68e74a5bc_zpssvoiafpt.jpg

They did offer it on our JW TA earlier this month. First time I've seen it!

Be aware that you can self disembark at 7am, then you have to load all your luggage onto the Port Bus (which is free). This bus won't take off until it is at least 1/2 full. The bus will drop you off at the Port entrance. From there, it's about 3/4 mile to the train station in Civitavecchia.

My recent experience was that, unless you are among the first passengers off the ship, you won't have to wait for a port shuttle to fill. You may have to wait in line because there were too many passengers for one bus. And yes, the port does charter in extra buses when a large ship is disembarking.

There will be taxis at the port entrance to take you to the train station, but they'll rip you off as you are a captive audience. I suppose you could get away with 10 Euro.

The local bus from the port entrance to the train station is 2 euros. If you were able to manage your own luggage to self-disembark and get onto the port shuttle you will be able to handle it on the local bus, which loads large luggage underneath, as does the port shuttle. You buy your ticket for the local bus at a shack by the stop.