Travel (esp Health) Insurance on Carnival

LuckyZ

So we didn’t buy the Carnival offered insurance when we booked and payed as I thought it was way too much. There are 7 of us travelling including wife, 3 adult children, a son in law and granddaughter . Cruise is less than 3 weeks away.

I’m not so worried about trip cancellation and the only thing I truly worry about is health/medical coverage while we’re on the ship and on the islands.

My work insurance seems to have something that appears to cover me but some our group do not.

Need advice on what to do

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Depends if your group is willing to chance it and take the risk.

Medical treatment & evacuation outside the US mainland is very, very expensive.

The odds are certainly in your favor that nothing will happen, but you can read lots of horror stories if you search the threads here.

A family staying at our hotel in Aruba had a son suffer a sudden appendacitus attack which required removal. I understand if the appendex ruptures, it is very dangerous. The hospital/doctor refused to operate until the father made full prepayment for the TOTAL cost up front - requiring the son to lay there in agony for hours.

Insure my trip dot com lets me pick exactly the insurance I'm looking for, which includes the trip back and forth to my cruise, and any vacation extension. If I'm just looking for medical, which sometimes I am, insure my trip has often directed me to geoblu, which I just go to now when I only want medical.

When I go to Geo Blue, the first comment under Plan Highlighrs says “Requires a primary health plan.”

Does this mean you need to have Blue Cross Blue Shield as your primary health insurance carrier to be able to get their travel insurance ?

When I go to Geo Blue, the first comment under Plan Highlighrs says “Requires a primary health plan.”

Does this mean you need to have Blue Cross Blue Shield as your primary health insurance carrier to be able to get their travel insurance ?

That is what that means, others like Travelinsured only require that they will cover what your primary does not (if you have one).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is what that means, others like Travelinsured only require that they will cover what your primary does not (if you have one).

Wrong, you're giving bad advice. You need to have a health plan, it DOES NOT need to be Blue Cross.

No you do not.

NO! It does not mean you need Blue Cross! It means you need to have A health insurance plan as stated -Any health insurance plan.

That implies you are in better health than those who have no coverage!

We have Geo Blue's year long medical coverage for travel. My credit card covers us for all other travel insurance that we need.

Wrong, you're giving bad advice. You need to have a health plan, it DOES NOT need to be Blue Cross.

Did I say it had to be blue cross? Are you sure about the insurance comment? We have used TI for customers who had none.

NO! It does not mean you need Blue Cross! It means you need to have A health insurance plan as stated -Any health insurance plan.

That implies you are in better health than those who have no coverage!

We have Geo Blue's year long medical coverage for travel. My credit card covers us for all other travel insurance that we need.

I just went a did-a sample policy for TI. Nowhere sis it ask or say I needed to have a primary insurance plan.

Does Geo Blue cover non medical items such as airfare, lost baggage etc?

Geo Blue is a travel health insurance plan. It is not a general travel insurance plan. It is for folks who have travel insurance but don't have the health part covered by their own plan.

For example, our own health insurance covers emergency care outside the USA but not evacuation. Most folks with Medicare coverage don't have care covered at all outside the USA so they need a health plan for travel. Geo Blue is also a good choice because it covers pre existing conditions.

We have all the other travel issues covered by our credit card's insurance so no need for a general travel insurance plan. Everyone's needs are different!

GeoBlue has two plans for single trip. One does NOT require a person to have a policy stateside, but that plan does NOT include a pre-existing conditions waiver. The other plan they offer HAS a pre-existing waiver and requires the purchaser have a primary policy.

I just checked, it also covers baggage loss up to $100 per bag...total $500. It also has trip interruption coverage (needing to go home early type thing) but basically limited to medical reasons, war or being the victim of a felonious assault. In other words, it is a medical policy for the most part.

Edited by buggins0402

Ok so I found out the company health insurance I have for the USA covers out of country (treated as out of network but covered). The only difference is I need to pay the bill in the country that medical procedure is incurred and submit for reimbursement upon return.

Question is does any of these other companies like GeoBlue or Insuremytrip.com have services that wouldn’t require me to pay up front ?

Ok so I found out the company health insurance I have for the USA covers out of country (treated as out of network but covered). The only difference is I need to pay the bill in the country that medical procedure is incurred and submit for reimbursement upon return.

Question is does any of these other companies like GeoBlue or Insuremytrip.com have services that wouldn’t require me to pay up front ?

Insuremytrip is reimburse.

What to do? It brings back an old "Dirty Harry" line which went something like "You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky!" If it turns out you have no medical issues you will thank yourself for not having spent money on insurance. However, if you have a major medical emergency and incur thousands of dollars (or more) in medical expenses then you will be very unhappy with no insurance.

If your own medical policy covers Emergency/Urgent care outside the country, and the coverage is comprehensive, then you can likely live without extra medical. But if you (or anyone in your party) has no coverage then they are truly rolling the dice. The potential liability from a major medical problem is unlimited.

It is not too late to buy travel medical insurance up until near your trip date. You can call Steve at the Travel Store or look on web sites such as Insuremytrip.com or Squaremouth.com for various policies.

Hank

What to do? It brings back an old "Dirty Harry" line which went something like "You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky!" If it turns out you have no medical issues you will thank yourself for not having spent money on insurance. However, if you have a major medical emergency and incur thousands of dollars (or more) in medical expenses then you will be very unhappy with no insurance.

If your own medical policy covers Emergency/Urgent care outside the country, and the coverage is comprehensive, then you can likely live without extra medical. But if you (or anyone in your party) has no coverage then they are truly rolling the dice. The potential liability from a major medical problem is unlimited.

It is not too late to buy travel medical insurance up until near your trip date. You can call Steve at the Travel Store or look on web sites such as Insuremytrip.com or Squaremouth.com for various policies.

Hank

I do believe it is against the rules here to recommend any travel partner.