A few questions on Insurance options where PEC/Medical issues are the primary concern

Hello All. I’m looking into Travel insurance to cover a trip to the Caribbean in Nov ’18 on the Symphony. I’m going to be traveling with my mom (69) who has had major health issues in the past, but has been relatively healthy over the last year, so a plan with good health coverage is my main concern, with trip cancellation the next priority. I’m def looking at plans that will give us the PEC waiver before the final payment, as we are out of the 21 day window from deposit (paid on 1/15/18). Also, we have another family member that is added on to our reservation, but is covering their own expenses.

1. For the plans we have access too, they have $50k, $100k, and $250k medical limits. My mom’s health issues include heart problems, so a $50K limit makes me nervous. For those of you that have done claims, what has been the upper limit to the claims you submitted?

2. After reading about GeoBlue, I’m looking at the pro/cons of possibly purchasing 2 policies to make sure we have quality medical coverage, and then get a less expensive comprehensive plan to cover the potential trip cancellation portion. Has anyone done that or is that just a bad idea? I’m trying to get the best balance of cost and coverage.

3. Since most policies dictate that you must insure the entire portion of your trip, how does my cousin that is tagging along fit in? Do I need to include them on the insurance purchase, along with all of their prepaid costs (Cruise fare, flight, prepaids, etc), or do I just estimate what me and my mom have to pay?

For now, based on the need for the PEC waiver based on final payment, IMG iTravelInsured LX, Nationwide Choice/Luxury Cruise, and CSA Freedom seem to be the only options we have. CSA was the one recommended on the Trip Insurance store, but it’s also the one with the lowest medical coverage, $50k, and is also the most expensive option. The others I found on Insure my trip.

Sorry if a lot of these questions are answered before. I didn't want to hijack anyone's thread and just want make sure I’m going about this the best way. TIA!

Why not ask an agent at one of these sites you mention?

:confused: Well, I guess I decided to ask here because I wanted some real world experience and feedback. I was able to find the answer to my 3rd question, but 1 & 2 are about actual experience.

....I thought these boards were for getting and sharing information... (I guess I was wrong?)

:confused: Well, I guess I decided to ask here because I wanted some real world experience and feedback. I was able to find the answer to my 3rd question, but 1 & 2 are about actual experience.

....I thought these boards were for getting and sharing information... (I guess I was wrong?)

Some of the "sharing information" includes suggesting experts elsewhere.

We always recommend CALLING an insurance broker.

We use

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

but there are others.

We STRONGLY suggest NOT relying upon the online summaries. The "fine print" really matters.

We usually get PEC converage through TIS, using policies from Travel Insured, but they've got that 20 day rule.

The one time we missed that, we used TIS to purchase a policy from CSA.

But as you've found, there are some aspects to that policy that aren't quite optimal.

(Their CFAR coverage is also extra expensive, which adds a lot, plus the somewhat lesser coverage.)

Ask them about the other traveling companion, too.

We've had several claims with Travel Insured, and they've paid fully, with no nonsense.

GC

Why would the amount of anyone else's claim have any relevance to what you might claim? Ten posters could tell you their claims were $10,000, but if you have a medical emergency your claim could be $400,000. Your carrier will pay up to the limits of coverage for a covered loss.

There are many thousands of travel insurance companies and types of policies. Not only that, coverage and policies vary by state. It's better to speak with an agent with your specific concerns/questions.

Thank you for your comments GeezerCouple, I really appreciate the CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. I have given TIS a call. CSA is the only plan I can get through them that meets what we need, so at this point I have to decide if I specifically want to go through them for this plan or take my chances with a plan from one of the other sites that has other offerings.

Some of the "sharing information" includes suggesting experts elsewhere.

We always recommend CALLING an insurance broker.

We use

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

but there are others.

We STRONGLY suggest NOT relying upon the online summaries. The "fine print" really matters.

We usually get PEC converage through TIS, using policies from Travel Insured, but they've got that 20 day rule.

The one time we missed that, we used TIS to purchase a policy from CSA.

But as you've found, there are some aspects to that policy that aren't quite optimal.

(Their CFAR coverage is also extra expensive, which adds a lot, plus the somewhat lesser coverage.)

Ask them about the other traveling companion, too.

We've had several claims with Travel Insured, and they've paid fully, with no nonsense.

GC

• 3 months later...

For Travel Insured, If I am reading this right, I would be covered for medical issues even if I did not make the PEC waiver deadline and have a PEC that is controlled by medication that has had no prescription changes for 60 days prior to purchasing the insurance?

For Travel Insured, If I am reading this right, I would be covered for medical issues even if I did not make the PEC waiver deadline and have a PEC that is controlled by medication that has had no prescription changes for 60 days prior to purchasing the insurance?

This will depend upon the SPECIFIC wording of the SPECIFIC policy that *you* purchase.

We cannot possibly answer this question with reliable accuracy.

Insurance coverage is regulated by the states, and the terms of even what might *appear* to be the "same" policy might be different for residents of different states.

There might be so much riding on travel insurance, why rely upon anonymous people posting on an Internet forum for a specific answer for *you*?

GC

Excellent questions :). We are always preaching that too many cruisers get overly concerned about trip cancellation issues (where your liability is already limited) and do not think through their medical situation/insurance where liability is unlimited. So here we have a poster who does "get it" which is a great lesson for all of us :).

The answers to your questions are almost as complex as the questions. Having multiple insurance policies can create their own issues if one has to file a claim....and is often unnecessary. I have never been real comfortable with a $50,000 limit but that is going to be adequate in most cases...especially in the Caribbean. Keep in mind that US insurance (including Medicare) is generally fine if you are in the USVI or Puerto Rico. Paying for 2 or possibly 3 insurance policies for a single cruise does seem a bit extreme not to mention costly.

I do second the comment about talking with a decent travel insurance broker and Steve at the Tripinsurancestore.com seems to be the person who has consistently received excellent reviews here on CC...over many years. Steve should be able to give you some decent guidance as to whether there is a single policy that will meet most..if not all of your desired needs.

As to GeoBlue, we plead guilty to often recommending this as an option but it is only one option. CSA also has a decent reputation and has been around for a long time. CSA does offer more comprehensive trip policies which might fit the passenger's situation better then a strict medical policy (i.e. Geoblue).

Prior Existing Conditions (PEC) is a minefield and the OP seems to have a great understanding of the issue. When it comes to PEC one must carefully read each policy and make sure to pay attention to the "definitions" section as well as the specific section(s) relating to PEC.

Hank

Thanks Hank (Hlitner), I appreciate your comments and feedback. As a well seasoned poster, you really understood the spirit of what and why I was asking! A lot of my angst was coming from my mom being under insured during a medical crisis in the past and having to navigate those financial headaches. The last thing we want to do is have an issue on this trip where we had the opportunity to avoid it with proper planning.

Excellent questions :). We are always preaching that too many cruisers get overly concerned about trip cancellation issues (where your liability is already limited) and do not think through their medical situation/insurance where liability is unlimited. So here we have a poster who does "get it" which is a great lesson for all of us :).

The answers to your questions are almost as complex as the questions. Having multiple insurance policies can create their own issues if one has to file a claim....and is often unnecessary. I have never been real comfortable with a $50,000 limit but that is going to be adequate in most cases...especially in the Caribbean. Keep in mind that US insurance (including Medicare) is generally fine if you are in the USVI or Puerto Rico. Paying for 2 or possibly 3 insurance policies for a single cruise does seem a bit extreme not to mention costly.

I do second the comment about talking with a decent travel insurance broker and Steve at the Tripinsurancestore.com seems to be the person who has consistently received excellent reviews here on CC...over many years. Steve should be able to give you some decent guidance as to whether there is a single policy that will meet most..if not all of your desired needs.

As to GeoBlue, we plead guilty to often recommending this as an option but it is only one option. CSA also has a decent reputation and has been around for a long time. CSA does offer more comprehensive trip policies which might fit the passenger's situation better then a strict medical policy (i.e. Geoblue).

Prior Existing Conditions (PEC) is a minefield and the OP seems to have a great understanding of the issue. When it comes to PEC one must carefully read each policy and make sure to pay attention to the "definitions" section as well as the specific section(s) relating to PEC.

Hank