Aboard QM2 now (9-23 Sept)

MarkBearSF

When cruise critic makes it easy to post pictures, I'll post pictures...To answer the questions about 5180,2,4,6, I did some reconnaissance and as expected, the blank space is... a blank wall. I don't know if we've had a cabin there, but we like Deck 5 and often have had such stretches on the inner wall. I've never found them noisy or problematic. At the end, there is a crew door, so there will likely be some crew activity, but it's never been a problem. (We're currently in a similar situation in 8047)...Oh, speaking of menus... Last night I ate a spotted dick. And I liked it.- Mark

Thank you very much for the information. Good of you to take the time and make the effort.

BTW, as a displaced Brit, your choice of dessert was outstanding. Did you have it with custard? Cheers! CV...

Unless someone can post these different menus.I believe every penny of every fare and menu cutbacks goes in the coffers of the ivory towers at Cunard.
If someone caress to post menus from a crossing I'll gladly post menus from the Christmas Caribbean cruise. It may not be from 2017 but it will be recent (I appreciate that the point I'm making is best backed up by a recent year's menus, but we don't collect them as carefully as we used to).

BTW, as a displaced Brit, your choice of dessert was outstanding. Did you have it with custard? Cheers! CV...

Indeed we did. By the way, is it traditionally a baked like a cake or a steamed like a pudding? (It was dense and studded with currants and it was difficult to tell)

- Mark

If someone caress to post menus from a crossing I'll gladly post menus from the Christmas Caribbean cruise. It may not be from 2017 but it will be recent (I appreciate that the point I'm making is best backed up by a recent year's menus, but we don't collect them as carefully as we used to).

Alas, I've not saved them and I'm not expecting to be presented with them as happened some times in the past. (It was not done on the eastbound).

- Mark

We've begun taking photos. There's a menu book at the Maitre d's desk that usually has the day's menus by the end of breakfast service. They're also outside the entrance, of course, but there's too much glare.

DW is more enamored of keeping the menus than I am, so I'm not good at getting them 100% of the time and they're often not that great photographically.

Indeed we did. By the way, is it traditionally a baked like a cake or a steamed like a pudding? (It was dense and studded with currants and it was difficult to tell)

- Mark

My mum used to steam it in a cloth,the traditional way,yummy.Just to add, the menu on the QE this year was class as were the hot picky bits in the CC.It seems these cutbacks only occur on the QM2.

I thought that all the ships would have the same menus - is that not the case?

I had a look at the new menus from Host Hattie's recent QV cruise and they had 4 meat/poultry main courses, 2 fish and 2 vegetarian courses most nights.

My DH who likes meat and is coliac did notice that a lot of the vegetarian items are marked gluten free. Makes sense from a business perspective to make items multi tasking but he look a bit down at the prospect!

I had spotted dick with runny cream at a small restaurant in Cornwall once. Very delicious. Also let me say, I am not rich. Just a regular person. My feeling on laundry is that I would rather pay Cunard to do it than pay the airlines to carry another suitcase. Usually, once during a cruise, I send out a bag of laundry to be done. Then, I can wear the clothes again knowing they are clean. We are in a Q5 next summer for the Baltics. When we are in a suite on HAL, the laundry is included. I guess I will be paying this time. Either way, it will get done. So much easier than lugging an extra bag across the pond.

Voyage delays. Recall that departing Southampton, we would've headed straight into TS Helene if we'd have followed the normal route. So, we dawdled a bit in the Bay of Biscay and then headed south of the storm after it passed and took a much more southern route than normal. Then, on day five, a sick passenger took a turn for the worse and we diverted far north to arrange for a medevac off of Halifax yesterday afternoon, putting us another six and a half hours behind. So, in spite of a seven day schedule and her powerful engines (25 knots) - we're arriving into NY a bit late.

For us - GOOD NEWS! We go under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and enter New York Harbor to pass near the Statue of Liberty in the daylight. It also means normal time for breakfast tomorrow. AND three hours less wait in JFK. All good things, in our case.

- Mark

Voyage delays. Recall that departing Southampton, we would've headed straight into TS Helene if we'd have followed the normal route. So, we dawdled a bit in the Bay of Biscay and then headed south of the storm after it passed and took a much more southern route than normal. Then, on day five, a sick passenger took a turn for the worse and we diverted far north to arrange for a medevac off of Halifax yesterday afternoon, putting us another six and a half hours behind. So, in spite of a seven day schedule and her powerful engines (25 knots) - we're arriving into NY a bit late.

For us - GOOD NEWS! We go under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and enter New York Harbor to pass near the Statue of Liberty in the daylight. It also means normal time for breakfast tomorrow. AND three hours less wait in JFK. All good things, in our case.

- Mark

QM2 is not yet showing up on marinetraffic via land-based AIS. But I do see a vessel described as "Passenger Vessel - Position received by Satellite" which is probably QM2. That vessel was doing 25.3 knots and was about 350 NM from New York when that position was received about an hour ago. That all fits with a late arrival of about three hours into New York tomorrow. Will continue to keep an eye out for you on marinetraffic.

Edited by bluemarble

I see that the QM2 finally tied up at around noon. I had thought that with the gas turbines in use, she was capable of 30 knots...

so I see they were not in that much of a hurry to make up time (very expensive fuel burn at that rate)....:confused:

I see that the QM2 finally tied up at around noon. I had thought that with the gas turbines in use, she was capable of 30 knots...

so I see they were not in that much of a hurry to make up time (very expensive fuel burn at that rate)....:confused:

She never got more than a tad above 25 knots since I started watching on marinetraffic yesterday. Her past track shows she was doing more like 22-24 knots south of the Hamptons and then 20-21 knots most of the rest of the way until about the point where she would have picked up the harbor pilot.

- Mark

Well it's full stop for all complaining then. :cool:

Also, a bit of envy from my side.

29.61 knots is the maximum speed reached at the second sea trials, not her service speed. Her planned maximum speed is 29.3 kts. I would estimate her maximum service speed to be around 25-27 kts.

This discussion over at the QE2 forum might be helpful: https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=1183.0

Indeed we did. By the way, is it traditionally a baked like a cake or a steamed like a pudding? (It was dense and studded with currants and it was difficult to tell)- Mark

Apologies for the late reply which you may not see. Steaming is the way my Mum made it and, as Brian1 says, in a cloth. Sometimes had it steamed with strawberry jam. Still enjoy it to this day. In fact it’s on our ‘menu’ at home next week. Extra yummy but not too good for the waistline. A bientot...CV...

Thanks Mark, for the update on the 9/11 recognition from the captain and putting the flag on half mast. I agree- that would have worked well for me as well- the delay and entering New York in broad daylight. I am sure though that it upsetted many travelplans for those who had early flights. I suppose there was a lot going on at the pursers office desk! So QM2 will leave late also after her late arrival!