Advantages/Disadvantages to paying cruise fare early

dchurchward

I guess some people like giving money away we always look for the best deal. The cruise we booked this week we are getting a $4400 discount from the cruise line booking price. On a cruise last year we each received 90,000 bonus air miles each if you bought the from the airline they are .025 each mile that works out to $4500. In all our years of cruising since 1971 we have never had any agency problems and have saved a fortune over booking directly with the cruise lines just in the last two years it’s just short of $10,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think if you add my last 4 cruises together they might total $10,000. The more you spend on a cruise the more perks you can get, but you have to spend more on the cruise. If using a TA works for someone then good for them.

I guess some people like giving money away we always look for the best deal. The cruise we booked this week we are getting a $4400 discount from the cruise line booking price. On a cruise last year we each received 90,000 bonus air miles each if you bought the from the airline they are .025 each mile that works out to $4500. In all our years of cruising since 1971 we have never had any agency problems and have saved a fortune over booking directly with the cruise lines just in the last two years it’s just short of $10,000.

I'm glad it works for you. I don't like paying for suites or see value in it. You have to spend a lot to save a lot in this case. I would venture to say I save more than you simply by spending less. I also have no interest in certain airline cards. But that's not really the point. You hopefully see value in what you are doing. I'm very familiar with points and get about $50,000/year in cash back and point value between a few cards. However, getting $100 OBC or whatever an agent can offer me on my fares is not worth the extra phone call or hassle if I do need to change something and they are unavailable.

It seems to me that the advantage of paying early would mostly relate to not facing an unexpected expenditure that requires you to use the money, but I don't see any other reasons.

This argument does not make any sense. If you have the unexpected expenditure you'd have to pay it whether you have already paid for the cruise or not. You either have the money for both or you do not.

I charge my final payment any point before the final payment date during the credit card billing cycle in which final payment is due. For my next cruise that's between Sept 26th and Oct 3rd.

This argument does not make any sense. If you have the unexpected expenditure you'd have to pay it whether you have already paid for the cruise or not. You either have the money for both or you do not.

I charge my final payment any point before the final payment date during the credit card billing cycle in which final payment is due. For my next cruise that's between Sept 26th and Oct 3rd.

Punchline of my favorite joke.

"I've got gambling money."

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm glad it works for you. I don't like paying for suites or see value in it. You have to spend a lot to save a lot in this case. I would venture to say I save more than you simply by spending less. I also have no interest in certain airline cards. But that's not really the point. You hopefully see value in what you are doing. I'm very familiar with points and get about $50,000/year in cash back and point value between a few cards. However, getting $100 OBC or whatever an agent can offer me on my fares is not worth the extra phone call or hassle if I do need to change something and they are unavailable.

Ok, guess you like flying Coach to Europe, Asia, or Australia and I find those who can’t afford a Suite always say it’s not worth it. I can get around in a Ford Focus but I’ll keep driving my Lexus, no matter the cost same thing with cruises or flying first or Business class. And to get 50k back on your credit cards you would have to change over 2.5 million in charges.

It's not totally about control for me. I like to find my own cruises online like most people. If I'm doing that, why not spend the extra 3 minutes doing the booking instead of reaching out to an agent? It's just fast, easy, etc. I guess for me I would describe it as a Travel Agent is solving a problem that doesn't exist. I don't understand the need for one. I can book in seconds online, I can call to manage it if needed, etc. I don't need an agent for that.

I book online thru an online travel agency of a big warehouse club. If the offering isn't on their website I book direct and move it online.

For a $4212 net cruise I get back 2% as an executive member ($84.24, 3% from the associated CC $126.36 (vs 2% if I book with Royal) and $330 cash back card after I complete the cruise so $540.60 back on a 4212 cruise plus 10% off excursions through their site. It took maybe 30 minutes to save 540.60 or a little under 13%.. I pay the cruise off this year and apply the $540 to the excursions.

There are other OL travel agents that pre book rooms and offer lower net cost deals, especially if you can leave close to the sailing.

The OL travel agency I used is based in the US and the call center is in the US.

In the 70's and 80's I would go into the Amex office on th way home and get brochures and then book a vacation deal. After a few trips I just called the same woman and she knew what I liked.

Now I am in control either way.

I book online thru an online travel agency of a big warehouse club. If the offering isn't on their website I book direct and move it online.

For a $4212 net cruise I get back 2% as an executive member ($84.24, 3% from the associated CC $126.36 (vs 2% if I book with Royal) and $330 cash back card after I complete the cruise so $540.60 back on a 4212 cruise plus 10% off excursions through their site. It took maybe 30 minutes to save 540.60 or a little under 13%.. I pay the cruise off this year and apply the $540 to the excursions.

There are other OL travel agents that pre book rooms and offer lower net cost deals, especially if you can leave close to the sailing.

The OL travel agency I used is based in the US and the call center is in the US.

In the 70's and 80's I would go into the Amex office on th way home and get brochures and then book a vacation deal. After a few trips I just called the same woman and she knew what I liked.

Now I am in control either way.

There are some cruise lines like luxury all inclusive Regent that don’t allow agents to discount fares but some agents will give rebates after the cruise our fare on the cruise I booked is $38700 the agency is giving us a $4400 rebate after the cruise that works out to 11.3 percent that’s why I spend the time finding the best deal! And don’t book directly with the cruise line.

For those dismissing TA’s outright there is a good possibility that you are missing out on more than just some OBC or a free dinner.

Many of the large TA’s have lots of group space available. Savings can be huge. I’ve found clients savings of nearly $1500 per person vs the website rates. The other advantage of group rates is that all deposits are fully refundable.

Even booking when itineraries are first released I can usually find group space at non refundable prices but with fully refundable deposits.

No harm in checking a few TA’s out. Make your decision after you find out the pricing.

There are some cruise lines like luxury all inclusive Regent that don’t allow agents to discount fares but some agents will give rebates after the cruise our fare on the cruise I booked is $38700 the agency is giving us a $4400 rebate after the cruise that works out to 11.3 percent that’s why I spend the time finding the best deal! And don’t book directly with the cruise line.

Also there’s a website I can’t name because of cruise critics rules where you post the cruise your interested in and agents from all over the country will bid on it we have used it many times and gotten some great deals. I’m sure can find it with a little effort and google

For those dismissing TA’s outright there is a good possibility that you are missing out on more than just some OBC or a free dinner.

Many of the large TA’s have lots of group space available. Savings can be huge. I’ve found clients savings of nearly $1500 per person vs the website rates. The other advantage of group rates is that all deposits are fully refundable.

Even booking when itineraries are first released I can usually find group space at non refundable prices but with fully refundable deposits.

No harm in checking a few TA’s out. Make your decision after you find out the pricing.

If you saved me $1500pp you'd owe me $1300 for our next cruise. I have checked the online TAs and haven't found a deal yet that was worth booking with any of them and that includes the aforementioned box store of which I am also an executive member of. I do see where TAs can save people money and if anyone does then good for them.

If you saved me $1500pp you'd owe me $1300 for our next cruise. I have checked the online TAs and haven't found a deal yet that was worth booking with any of them and that includes the aforementioned box store of which I am also an executive member of. I do see where TAs can save people money and if anyone does then good for them.

Obviously if someone’s booking a $1700 total price cruise there is no way anyone could save them $1500 per person.

It was a $4000 per person balcony European cruise that we had available for $2500 per person.

If you just check a few online TA,s you will miss out. Much of the group space is not advertised and you need a live person to be able to find it. You also need to be checking several TA’s. They don’t all have group space on every sailing. It is a bit of work but it can pay off for those that do check.

I will add that if you book suites or Cabins other than at double occupancy you will not find group space. Royal does not allow suites or quad cabins to be held in group space.

For Week long Caribbean cruises it’s easy to find savings of between $200 and $500 per person.

Using a TA’s not for everyone but I’m just saying that there’s a good probability you’re leaving money on the table by insisting on doing it yourself.

Obviously if someone’s booking a $1700 total price cruise there is no way anyone could save them $1500 per person.

It was a $4000 per person balcony European cruise that we had available for $2500 per person.

If you just check a few online TA,s you will miss out. Much of the group space is not advertised and you need a live person to be able to find it. You also need to be checking several TA’s. They don’t all have group space on every sailing. It is a bit of work but it can pay off for those that do check.

I will add that if you book suites or Cabins other than at double occupancy you will not find group space. Royal does not allow suites or quad cabins to be held in group space.

For Week long Caribbean cruises it’s easy to find savings of between $200 and $500 per person.

Using a TA’s not for everyone but I’m just saying that there’s a good probability you’re leaving money on the table by insisting on doing it yourself.

I do tend to check prices from multiple sources when we book but haven't yet found the types of savings being mentioned. I should probably clarify that my not using a TA is predicated on their offer being the same as the cruise lines. If all is equal my preference is to book with the cruise line but I'm not so opposed to using a TA if the savings warranted it.

I probably didn't explain myself clearly. I'm talking about that situation that seems to arrive if you have set aside money for something you want, but haven't spent it yet. It always seems that a need or an emergency comes up and while you very likely have the money to cover both, it can be very tempting to use the money you have set aside for the thing you want.

For a specific example, after I paid the initial deposit on the cruise, my daughter started experiencing some serious medical symptoms. Overall, getting her issue diagnosed has cost my wife and I over $20k over and above what our insurance paid. While I had set aside the money for the cruise, including the dining and beverage packages, excursions, etc. it was very tempting to cancel the cruise so i could use the money for the medical expenses. It is not about having money for both things, it is about priorities for money that is budgeted, but not yet spent. And, yes, I did get the cancel for any reason insurance.

Our Big Box TA gives us cash cards after we get back, and that reduces our out-of-pocket expenses. In addition, going on a cruise means we DON'T spend money on food and transportation (but would if we were home). I deduct that "would spend it anyway" from the cost of the cruise to see the true out-of-pocket we are spending. Then, the cash cards reduce our after-cruise spending.

Like I said before, I pay off early to get points to pay for airfare, so that date determines when I pay my cruises off early.

An example of what I'm talking about is our trips next year:

We sold our home in CA last year, and live 50/50 in our son's condo and our condo in MI near our younger son/family.

Next year we are going on an extended b2b2b for our 50th anniversary. After we are back, our son's condo will not be available to us. What to do until it's time to go to MI? Well, I priced a CA Airbnb, and then I priced another extended b2b2b2b cruise. After adjusting for "what we would pay anyway", which now included the Airbnb, and the obc, and the cash cards, the amount we are actually paying extra out of pocket is around $1,000. I told my husband, "You can live in someone's house, or you can go on multiple cruises. Which do you want?" He looked at me like I was nuts to even ask him.

So paying those off early and getting the points will pay for the hotel in between the b2b2b and the b2b2b2b.