Change in scooter supplier for NCL?

Pie

I have a scooter reserved through Special Needs at Sea for our upcoming cruise on NCL/Escape. I see now NCL's website says scooter rentals are through Scootaround? And I don't see NCL as an option anymore on Special Needs at Sea - am I going to be stuck?

Also - can anyone answer a battery question? Im thinking of buying a SmartScoot - NCL says the battery needs to be a gel cell? Does that mean a SmartScoot won't be allowed on NCL ship?

Also - can anyone answer a battery question? Im thinking of buying a SmartScoot - NCL says the battery needs to be a gel cell? Does that mean a SmartScoot won't be allowed on NCL ship?

Hi,

I think I am correct in saying that all mobility scooter batteries are now "airsafe" in that they aren't wet cells, there are several types of gel batteries and the SmartScoot uses a type that is ok for air transit. I mention about air travel as the rules and regulations regarding taking a scooter on an aircraft are more stringent than on ships.

Hope this helps.

Pete

I have a scooter reserved through Special Needs at Sea for our upcoming cruise on NCL/Escape. I see now NCL's website says scooter rentals are through Scootaround? And I don't see NCL as an option anymore on Special Needs at Sea - am I going to be stuck?

Thank you for pointing this out as this is definitely a recent change. Special Needs at Sea should not have taken the reservation if they are not an approved supplier. I would contact both the NCL Access Desk (866-584-9756 or email accessdesk@ncl.com) and then Special Needs at Sea and discuss this with them. If you made the reservation when Special Needs at Sea was the only approved supplier for NCL, they should issue a full refund of your payment or NCL should "grandfather" reservations made prior to their change in vendor.

I'm sure you are not the only one in this situation. Let us know what how they resolved this issue. Enjoy your cruise.

• 10 months later...
On 9/1/2018 at 9:57 PM, Pie said:

I traveled in November on the epic with my own my own lithium ion battery.  No problem with NCL.  The reason for the one company was explained as they keep spare scooters on board and work with one company to be able to help with rental scooters that fail.  Not a bad idea, if true.  As I understand it you are still free to bring your own rental but you need to pick it up and board with it and the reverse when debarking.   So the ease of having it waiting for you is only with one company.