Hotels?

parttimr

Anyone stayed at Drury Inn and Suites recently? The reviews appear to be excellent but I'm looking for any recent impressions some CC members have had there. I'm also wondering about the area surrounding the hotel and whether there are any "must go" restaurants nearby?

We stayed at the Drury last month. No issues whatsoever. Great place to stay. Easy walk to the Quarter.

We've stayed there about 8 times or so.

We like Luke for restaurants near the hotel. A couple of blocks up St. Charles toward the Quarter.

Anyone stayed at Drury Inn and Suites recently? The reviews appear to be excellent but I'm looking for any recent impressions some CC members have had there. I'm also wondering about the area surrounding the hotel and whether there are any "must go" restaurants nearby?

We were there last January and loved it! We ended up only buying one meal out a day as they provide breakfast, popcorn and soft drinks in the afternoon, then in the evening they have a small supper, nothing extravagant but worked for us. Also got three alcohol beverages per night per person.

We walked pretty much everywhere from the hotel, there is street cars one street over if you’d prefer that.

Nice pool and hot tub, as well as laundry facilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am looking for a hotel for November 24th/25th (2 adults) - Departing on Breakaway on the 25th so, prefer to stay near the port, and near the French Quarter. We are flying in, so will be using uber or taxi to get to hotel.

Thanks very much for any advice.

I am looking for a hotel for November 24th/25th (2 adults) - Departing on Breakaway on the 25th so, prefer to stay near the port, and near the French Quarter. We are flying in, so will be using uber or taxi to get to hotel.

Thanks very much for any advice.

Closest ones to the port with pretty good deals at this point on Hotwire are the 4* boutique for $117 in the French Quarter-Mississippi River area which should be Le Meridien. Or the 3* warehouse district for $166 which should be staybridge suites. Different districts but the two hotels are basically across the street from each other and a short walk to the french quarter.

I'd probably do Le Meridien if it were me. It's also next door to one of my favorite places to eat..Mother's Restaurant.

TIP: After pricing a "Hot Rate" hotel in New Orleans and/or Baton Rouge prior to my cruise I'm getting a bunch of 2nd chance offers of an additional $15-20 dollars off for Hotels listed above $100. Hotwire sends these 2nd chance offers about twice a week. So its probably worth it to price a hotel (maybe several times) but hold off until the 2nd chance offer comes through

If staying at the Hilton Riverside, is it an easy walk to the Carnival terminal dragging a wheeled suitcase or would we want to Uber or taxi there? We are mid 50's and somewhat active, but I'll be 8 weeks post total knee replacement. I'm sure I can walk a half mile on level hard ground but much more than that might be a bit much.

If staying at the Hilton Riverside, is it an easy walk to the Carnival terminal dragging a wheeled suitcase or would we want to Uber or taxi there? We are mid 50's and somewhat active, but I'll be 8 weeks post total knee replacement. I'm sure I can walk a half mile on level hard ground but much more than that might be a bit much.

A lot of people do the walk. I think you're looking at about an $8 cab ride. Looking right now....uber is $7.79 and lyft is $8.27. I don't know if rates go up on cruise days or not. As for walking check out posts #10 and #18 in the below thread.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2562162

A lot of people do the walk. I think you're looking at about an $8 cab ride. Looking right now....uber is $7.79 and lyft is $8.27. I don't know if rates go up on cruise days or not. As for walking check out posts #10 and #18 in the below thread.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2562162

Thanks Saint Greg. After posting my question I found and watched some of the videos you mentioned. I felt like that penguin watching it and it was very informative. We'll see in a couple weeks if I feel up to the walk or just call an Uber.

• 1 month later...

I'm new to the cruising thing. Just booked a New Year's cruise on the Carnival Dream leaving on 12/30/18. I'm trying to figure out good options for hotel in New Orleans the night before. We're a family of 5. I'm not really finding reasonable options for hotel rooms in NO for 5 people. I have a refundable room booked in Slidell right now but were prefer to be in NO if possible. Anyone here have experience with 5 in a room? Or anyone booked a room for 4 and brought in an extra little one? Thanks for any help.

I'm new to the cruising thing. Just booked a New Year's cruise on the Carnival Dream leaving on 12/30/18. I'm trying to figure out good options for hotel in New Orleans the night before. We're a family of 5. I'm not really finding reasonable options for hotel rooms in NO for 5 people. I have a refundable room booked in Slidell right now but were prefer to be in NO if possible. Anyone here have experience with 5 in a room? Or anyone booked a room for 4 and brought in an extra little one? Thanks for any help.

I’m at the Marriott across from the convention center on 12/30. Great cruise location. I’ll check out the 29th when I get freed up. Busy at the moment

88ba0a46a4e27d2a020b63f4ca1cab93.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m at the Marriott across from the convention center on 12/30. Great cruise location. I’ll check out the 29th when I get freed up. Busy at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoy the game :)

I watched the Sugar Bowl from a Marriott bar in 1997 when I couldn't afford/find tickets. Don't remember which Marriott though.

Here are the top 3 Hot Rates for 12/29:

hotwire.jpg

Let me know what you think whenever you get a chance. We would need to put 5 people (2 adults, 3 kids) in a room booked for 4. If you think that's a bad idea, I'll probably just stick with the Country Inns and Suites in Slidell (for about $100 for the night). Thanks for everything. You have really helped a lot of people on these boards.

Enjoy the game :)

I watched the Sugar Bowl from a Marriott bar in 1997 when I couldn't afford/find tickets. Don't remember which Marriott though.

Here are the top 3 Hot Rates for 12/29:

hotwire.jpg

Let me know what you think whenever you get a chance. We would need to put 5 people (2 adults, 3 kids) in a room booked for 4. If you think that's a bad idea, I'll probably just stick with the Country Inns and Suites in Slidell (for about $100 for the night). Thanks for everything. You have really helped a lot of people on these boards.

Your $133 should be Hilton Riverside. That’s the one where you can walk through the mall to the port. If you are parking my suggestion would be drop the fam/luggage at the hotel. Park at Fulton garage while the other 4 check into the room for 4. Either walk back through the mall or take the streetcar from Julia street back. They will charge $40 for the night if you park at the hotel.

If you were going to do one near the port that’s the one I’d do. Best location and price. But I believe your boutique one is going to be aloft. I love it. I’m staying there twice next month. But I wouldn’t put a family of four in it. Those are very modern but small rooms. I think your other one is Hilton Garden Downtown which is a fine hotel but I’d go riverside over it for sure.

The other thing to think about is none of these will offer a free breakfast where country inn and suites probably does. Could be a big deal for a family of five.

So I guess it would come down to if you want to see more of New Orleans and be able to walk to the port...but pay more. Or save money and probably get a free breakfast in slidell but drive in on embarkation day. I don’t know anything about that country inn and suites but I know the downtown and Metairie ones are nice places.

Your $133 should be Hilton Riverside. That’s the one where you can walk through the mall to the port. If you are parking my suggestion would be drop the fam/luggage at the hotel. Park at Fulton garage while the other 4 check into the room for 4. Either walk back through the mall or take the streetcar from Julia street back. They will charge $40 for the night if you park at the hotel.

If you were going to do one near the port that’s the one I’d do. Best location and price. But I believe your boutique one is going to be aloft. I love it. I’m staying there twice next month. But I wouldn’t put a family of four in it. Those are very modern but small rooms. I think your other one is Hilton Garden Downtown which is a fine hotel but I’d go riverside over it for sure.

The other thing to think about is none of these will offer a free breakfast where country inn and suites probably does. Could be a big deal for a family of five.

So I guess it would come down to if you want to see more of New Orleans and be able to walk to the port...but pay more. Or save money and probably get a free breakfast in slidell but drive in on embarkation day. I don’t know anything about that country inn and suites but I know the downtown and Metairie ones are nice places.

Thanks for the reply. I suspected the $133 would be the Hilton. I did a search on the Metarie Country Inn & Suites. I had checked it before, but now realize that I can't look for a single room for 5 people. Guessing it's some type of local regulation that limits people per room. Funny, because I spent more than a couple nights in many of these rooms years ago with WAY more than 5 people. Once stayed at the Holiday Inn Westbank with about 10 people in a normal room. The Metarie C I&S has a "suite" with two double beds and a sofa bed that would be perfect for us though. The snooze and cruise rate for that room is only about $35 more than the normal rate. Seems like it's worth it even if we have to sneak in one person and pay for transport back to the hotel after the cruise. The Acme Oyster House only a block away probably seals the deal. Love some chargrilled oysters from Acme.

Thanks for the reply. I suspected the $133 would be the Hilton. I did a search on the Metarie Country Inn & Suites. I had checked it before, but now realize that I can't look for a single room for 5 people. Guessing it's some type of local regulation that limits people per room. Funny, because I spent more than a couple nights in many of these rooms years ago with WAY more than 5 people. Once stayed at the Holiday Inn Westbank with about 10 people in a normal room. The Metarie C I&S has a "suite" with two double beds and a sofa bed that would be perfect for us though. The snooze and cruise rate for that room is only about $35 more than the normal rate. Seems like it's worth it even if we have to sneak in one person and pay for transport back to the hotel after the cruise. The Acme Oyster House only a block away probably seals the deal. Love some chargrilled oysters from Acme.

Yeah they have an ACME over there. They have a Dragos over there. They used to have a cafe du monde over there. I think they moved it into the mall now.

Saint Greg,

Looking for some advice, I will be in New Orleans for 2 nights in November. Currently I have booked "Inn on St.Peter". I thought I wanted "older" hotel thinking it would be more authentic, now I'm having 2nd thoughts. Can you tell me anything about this hotel?

Saint Greg,

Looking for some advice, I will be in New Orleans for 2 nights in November. Currently I have booked "Inn on St.Peter". I thought I wanted "older" hotel thinking it would be more authentic, now I'm having 2nd thoughts. Can you tell me anything about this hotel?

I've never stayed at that hotel. But I have stayed in those types of hotels and in that area. I stayed at the one next to it once last year. The reviews look good. The location is great for touring the French Quarter. I say give it a shot. You can stay at a Hilton or Marriott in any city.

An option for five is the Drury Inn and Suites which you can book through their website. They have rooms that sleep up to six. They have a pool on their roof, and come with breakfast, snacks (you could make dinner out of it, items like chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese) drinks in their evening reception (with free alcohol and soft drinks.) A block walk to the French quarter, but they are on the street car line.

An option for five is the Drury Inn and Suites which you can book through their website. They have rooms that sleep up to six. They have a pool on their roof, and come with breakfast, snacks (you could make dinner out of it, items like chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese) drinks in their evening reception (with free alcohol and soft drinks.) A block walk to the French quarter, but they are on the street car line.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately those rooms are running $350 or more for the night before taxes and fees. I’ll keep that hotel in mind for the future though.

• 2 weeks later...
My wife, 2yo & I are going on the Carnival Dream in May...arriving the day before and staying in NOLA for 2 nights after our cruise. We'd like to stay in the French Quarter area after the cruise, looking at the Omni Royal Orleans. Let me know if you have any other recommendations.

Also wanted to stay at a different hotel when we arrive on Saturday afternoon before our cruise. Please let me know if you have any other recommendations. We're not renting a car, so can grab a taxi to the port or hopefully the hotel has a shuttle service. Thank you!

The Hotel Monteleone and the Royal Sonesta in the French Quarter are great!

Monteleone has a great rooftop pool and a bar. Sonesta has an even better pool bar!

The Hotel Monteleone and the Royal Sonesta in the French Quarter are great!

Monteleone has a great rooftop pool and a bar. Sonesta has an even better pool bar!

Omni Royal has a nice rooftop pool/bar as well ....you can see the St. Louis cathedral from the bar.

Hi All, My group is getting to Nola a few days before our cruise in Jan '19 and we got a great Priceline Express deal at the Renaissance New Orleans Arts Warehouse Hotel for $83/night which is a great deal for a 4* hotel. same dates were $199/night on Expedia. I just thought I would share if anyone else was planning on getting in prior to the cruise. We are really looking forward to a fun cruise!!

4_star_expd_180x166_2.jpg

TOP BOOKED HOTEL

Actual room may vary

4-Star HotelWhat Hotel?

Convention Center and Warehouse - Arts District Map

Free Internet, Swimming Pool, Fitness Center |Hotel Amenities

9+

Guest Rating 1200 verified guest reviews

You booked here before. Book again and save 58%

EXPRESS DEAL

58% Off

We choose the hotel, you save 58%