Empress--Onboard water situation

Hi! We leave on the Empress to Cuba next week. This is my first time on Royal Caribbean and I have a question about the water onboard. I've read that when the Windjammer is closed, you can't go in and get drinks from the dispensers. Is that true? Will it be an issue filling up my reusable Yeti-type cup at all hours with ice water?

Also, I'm trying to avoid spending the $39 for the Evian bottled water package, but I would like some bottled water to take off the ship in port. I'm guessing I would need to buy a couple of bottles onboard the ship. How much does a bottle of water cost? Trying to determine if I should just bite the bullet and pay the $39 for the Evian package or make do with my reusable cup and buying a couple bottles here and there. The $5 that Carnival charges for a 12 pack of water sure spoils me!

You can get your ice water at ANY bar or eating venue...not just the WJ! All you need to do is ask! If you request ice in your cabin, you can throw some cubes in your cup and water from the sink....it's all the same water!

Sounds like I'll be able to refill my cup, so that's good! How much is a bottle of water onboard to take off with me in port?

$3.25 for a 500ml bottle. Not including 18% gratuity.

Fill your own $0 and no tax, sorry gratuity

We also purchased water ashore in Havana from the small corner shops about 50c a bottle.

I think we are on the same cruise next week. We’re bringing a 6-pack of bottled water purchased for $1.00 at Dollar Tree and a 6-pack of 16.9 oz. bottles of Pepsi from Walmart @ $3.00. Have never had a problem bringing bottled water or soda onboard!

Oh cool, see you onboard! According to the Royal Caribbean FAQ, "Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use."

Hopefully y'all make it on with your drinks! I don't think we are going to try...partly because it's a pain to lug that stuff around haha.

I think we are on the same cruise next week. We’re bringing a 6-pack of bottled water purchased for $1.00 at Dollar Tree and a 6-pack of 16.9 oz. bottles of Pepsi from Walmart @ $3.00. Have never had a problem bringing bottled water or soda onboard!

Yes, this is the way to go. OP, I recommend you re-consider bringing some bottles on.

I too work hard to reduce my plastic consumption, and particularly hate the waste from the bottles. However, I have to tell you, after over 40 cruises where I have happily consumed the ship's tap water, the water on the Empress is barely potable.

Perhaps because of the age of the ship, the water tasted rusty and moldy, and even nasty. I had a water bottle with me when I sailed to Cuba from Tampa last year, planning to re-fill, but fortunately, there were about 10 bottles in my cabin when I checked in.

I'm not sure if it was because of Cuba, the ship water, or loyalty status that I got it, but I was very happy to have it. I met several others on the ship who complained about the water taste as well.

Remember, unless you are in a balcony suite on Empress, you do not get a fridge. You might want to bring a small collapsible cooler and ask the steward to fill it with ice for you to keep a few waters and sodas cold.

Just so everyone knows, there is nothing wrong at all with drinking the water on board a cruise ship. It’s totally safe. Just like drinking from the tap at home. Actually my dentist told me that drinking tap water is good for your teeth because it has fluoride. Unless you live in Flint, Mich. tap water at your home and on ship is fine. Save some money

Yes, this is the way to go. OP, I recommend you re-consider bringing some bottles on.

I too work hard to reduce my plastic consumption, and particularly hate the waste from the bottles. However, I have to tell you, after over 40 cruises where I have happily consumed the ship's tap water, the water on the Empress is barely potable.

Perhaps because of the age of the ship, the water tasted rusty and moldy, and even nasty. I had a water bottle with me when I sailed to Cuba from Tampa last year, planning to re-fill, but fortunately, there were about 10 bottles in my cabin when I checked in.

I'm not sure if it was because of Cuba, the ship water, or loyalty status that I got it, but I was very happy to have it. I met several others on the ship who complained about the water taste as well.

Remember, unless you are in a balcony suite on Empress, you do not get a fridge. You might want to bring a small collapsible cooler and ask the steward to fill it with ice for you to keep a few waters and sodas cold.

I've been on Empress 5 times and never had bad tasting water and I have at least 2 glasses of ships water every evening. It is possible that they have recently worked on the system. I am sure that the water on Empress exceeds all US standards.

I hadn't thought about the water quality. I had the same issue on my first cruise on Carnival over 10 years ago--water tasted bad. It sounds like Royal isn't too strict on bringing on water. Is that right? This is my first time on them.

Aside from the bad taste, I also forgot that my feet tend to swell when I drink ship water. So, I might try to bring some bottled water onboard. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...

But, note... the water/soda you bring on the ship must be carried on, not put in luggage and checked with the porters. We usually get to the ship early, and frankly, we don't like the idea of toting around a 1/2 case of water/soda for a few hours. Others may not care, but we just don't want to do that. We usually get the drink package, but like to have some cans of Diet Pepsi for the cabin. But, we aren't toting it around, so we'll just gather bottles of water for the cabin.