Portable Shade Umbrella (For YC and elsewhere)?

TrinaLC

Given the lack of shade, I thought we might bring on a portable umbrella designed to "clamp" onto chairs.

Here is an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Sport-Brella-Versa-Brella-Swiveling-Umbrella-Midnight/dp/B00HA2ZKCO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520001217&sr=8-3&keywords=chair+umbrella+with+clamp

Has anyone done this? Do they stay clamped in what presumably is a somewhat windy area?

Dang I wish MSC would listen up and place some umbrellas in the YC area, or better yet, create larger area of shade by draping fabric!

Hi,

Just off the Seaside YC and saw two of the umbrella's you linked being used successfully. The deckchairs were against a wall and appeared to be just clipped onto the back of the deckchair. It was a pretty windy day.

There is some shade in the lounge chair areas depending upon ship position/time of day etc.

Mary

I will be boarding the Seaside tomorrow in YC and have been in the YC on the Divina many times and have never had an issue finding a shady spot to read a book. There are a couple of good YC Seaside videos that show shade as well. Just curious about the comment regarding the lack of shade. Hate for you to purchase something if you will not need it.

Edited by djvand
Grammar

I will be boarding the Seaside tomorrow in YC and have been in the YC on the Divina many times and have never had an issue finding a shady spot to read a book. There are a couple of good YC Seaside videos that show shade as well. Just curious about the comment regarding the lack of shade. Hate for you to purchase something if you will not need it.

We also found it in Divina, as there was one table with an umbrella but I understand the only tables with share are in the bar area on Seaside. I like to sit "outside" but in the shade.

We will be boarding as you debark! If you happen to be online and posting to CC while onboard and had a minute to update this thread based on your personal observations that would be great, but in any event have a wonderful trip! Look forward to hearing your trip report upon your return!

I love this idea! From personal experience there was zero yc shade on divina in lounge chairs (shade was available at tables).

Can anyone please post pics of lounge chair shade on seaside? If it’s not available we may just pick up some of these. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given the lack of shade, I thought we might bring on a portable umbrella designed to "clamp" onto chairs.

Here is an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Sport-Brella-Versa-Brella-Swiveling-Umbrella-Midnight/dp/B00HA2ZKCO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520001217&sr=8-3&keywords=chair+umbrella+with+clamp

Has anyone done this? Do they stay clamped in what presumably is a somewhat windy area?

Dang I wish MSC would listen up and place some umbrellas in the YC area, or better yet, create larger area of shade by draping fabric!

Hi Trina:

Just off Seaside last week and took these very same umbrellas with us.

We tried them the first day and they were a bit of a bust ... they don't attach particularly well to the lounge chairs but ... and it's a big but, especially after eating for a week!

MUCH more shade on Seaside as opposed to Divina. Yes, you will have to move your chair but I was able to find a shady lounge for myself every day.

Of course, each sailing will be different but we had no problem.

Hi Trina:

We tried them the first day and they were a bit of a bust ... they don't attach particularly well to the lounge chairs but ... and it's a big but, especially after eating for a week!

MUCH more shade on Seaside as opposed to Divina. Yes, you will have to move your chair but I was able to find a shady lounge for myself every day.

Thanks, on this basis I won't bring.

Also thanks to DVJ and have a wonderful trip!!

Yes I will do my best to let you know before we set sail tomorrow night. So you are interested in a lounger that is in the shade. I will see what I can find out tomorrow!

Have a wonderful trip!!

Dr Cocktail is right on, we are on Seaside now heading toward Miami.

Shade depends on time of day and which side of ship and direction sailing or docked.

If sailing and not YC, you will find the wind might do in any umbrella as decks are open and we average 20kts.

If roof over jungle pool, is open, there are many shade options there.

You should be prepared to have a GREAT TIME!

Cheers!

Hi Trina:

Hi all! On the Seaside in Port. The Yacht Club area has shade on the side but the center part where the loungers are seem to be full sun. Having said that, the sun us directly overhead. There are tons of tables and sofas on the side that are in full shade. We got a cabana which also provides shade. It looks like you can move loungers into shaded areas as the sun moves. I think those wanting shade will be okay. I will pay attention as the day progresses.

Hi all! On the Seaside in Port. The Yacht Club area has shade on the side but the center part where the loungers are seem to be full sun. Having said that, the sun us directly overhead. There are tons of tables and sofas on the side that are in full shade. We got a cabana which also provides shade. It looks like you can move loungers into shaded areas as the sun moves. I think those wanting shade will be okay. I will pay attention as the day progresses.

Thanks!

• 5 months later...
I'm bringing my "clip ons" don't need the top of my head burnt!

I took my cruise this past April. I brought 2 clip on umbrellas and never used them. We had only 2 real sunny days( San Juan and St. Maarten) so we were off the ship those days. But the front of the ship was very windy so they would not have worked. The pool boys were good at moving chairs into shady areas. You can also sit under the sun shades where people eat for shade. This area won't keep you dry if it rains as the rain still gets in. As a side note the pool boys ran their asses off on my cruise so I slipped them $$.

As a side note the pool boys ran their asses off on my cruise so I slipped them $$.

Us as well. Excellent service up on the Seaside YC Pool Deck. Bar staff were great as well.

World Cup England v Croatia was on. So big screen TV was brought up so we didn't even need to leave.

BTW butlers only removed their tails when serving pool deck. How they stay fresh up there is amazing.

Officers, particularly Alessandro, the YC Director was always up to check on our satisfaction. There was an over-the-top attention to how their product is being presented.

Dennis

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk