Acadia after Island Explorer Stops Running

kermit99

I'm trying to figure out if there is any way to get to the park besides a organized tour. We are in port Oct 15.

I’m not a big fan of large group tours and like the flexibility of being able to spend as long as we like at various places in the park as well as going to less popular locations.

I know that the Island Explorer wont be running and that there aren’t any car rentals nearby (which is our preferred way of exploring a port).

Are there really no local transit options?

Your only option would be a taxi tour.

The car rental agencies are 14 miles away at the local airport. All you have to do is arrange transportation to the agency and return from the agency.

What is the date of your visit?

SBtS

At your service taxi co. is offering a 4 or 5 hr. flat rate tour with guide. We are going end of Sept. so can write review afterwards, but you can check them out if it interests you. They say they are able to see sights in park that Olly's trolly can't get to.

• 1 month later...

Hi - we will be in Port on Oct 19 and I have confirmed with the park that the shuttles will not be running. We have booked a car through Enterprise - they will pick you up in Bar Harbor however you do have to go back to their airport location to sign all the paper work - about a 15 minute drive. They will then pick up the car in Bar Harbor at the end of the day. Make sure you rent from the airport location as their other location is another 15 minutes or so further from the park. Hoping to catch some beautiful fall foliage!!