Quebec City to Montreal

Odonpeg

40 is more scenic, hugging the river on the north side for big chunks, while 20 is more direct (it's the Trans Canada Highway for Montreal-Quebec and about the same distance again eastward) - though the distance differential is small enough that depending exactly where you are picking up and dropping the car, and what's going on with roadworks, either road could be faster on the day you need them...

If you want to break up the trip to do any sightseeing en route I'd say take 40 - Trois Rivieres is the oldest city after Quebec itself, and the biggest by far of any town you could stop in on the way, so you'll find stuff to see and do there easily, as well as the road in general offering better views more often. 20 is one of the most boring bits of highway I've ever driven - very straight, nothing but farmland beside huge swathes of it.

But if you are literally just wanting the quickest way from A to B, conditions on the day will be a bigger factor than anything else - I'd be inclined to check close to your date for planned roadworks that might give the other route the edge, and on the day check Google's ETA using both routes (this will reflect current driving conditions, though not as accurately as a GPS with Traffic enabled or Waze or other phone apps will while you're driving).

Edit - you can find highway conditions info amalgamated here. In English!

Edited by martincath
  • Like 1