Elevator priority

1980dory

Respectfully disagree in regards to your statement "that people with disabilities should be prioritized in transportation, in restaurants, comfort rooms elevator and crowded places where they need to go. Even in cruises". and BTW I am disabled. Being disabled is not to be confused with a sense of entitlement as what that statement implies. As far as disabled people should be treated nicely ... everyone should be treated nicely regardless of having a disability or not.
The poster never mentioned entitlement rather common sense. Ever wonder why the cruise line makes you sign documents when booking h/c cabins?

Semper fi,

Jim

Respectfully disagree in regards to your statement "that people with disabilities should be prioritized in transportation, in restaurants, comfort rooms elevator and crowded places where they need to go. Even in cruises".and BTW I am disabled. Being disabled is not to be confused with a sense of entitlement as what that statement implies. As far as disabled people should be treated nicely ... everyone should be treated nicely regardless of having a disability or not.

It is a pity more people don't share your view. I'm not disabled but my DS is. He has been confined to a wheelchair for 25 years. What we are finding, on recent cruises, is that some scooter users seem to think they should have priority over us. I am not sure if they think they should have priority because my DS is young (he is 28 but looks younger) or if it is because he is in a manual wheelchair which needs to be pushed.

While I understand where the OP comments are coming from. I can also understand why able bodied pax push into lifts ahead of scooter. On several occasions I witness a scooter user drive into a lift, then turn 90 degrees so that no one else can get into the lift.

Secondly, in the US most people are familiar with handicap accommodations i.e. ramps, elevators only for handicapped individuals and the myriad other 'niceties'. Outside the US particularly in Asian countries they don't accommodate disabled people so the residents are not accostomated to giving priority to a disabled passenger.

Common sense and proper etiquette should dictate that abled bodied people not rush the elevators and take the stairs. It's similar to a gentleman offering a seat to a lady.

Jim,

I'm curious, where do you find elevators and ramps that are only for handicapped individuals?

• 2 weeks later...

I have never seen any elevators specifically for the handicap. However, those in cruise terminals are mainly used by the disabled for embarking and disembarking for efficiency. In the airports most of the elevators are an out of the way area for people on foot. Escalator is much more efficient. I have to figure out where the elevators are in my own airport.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Airports, cruise terminals and other public places where a usually uniformed person is posted.

Semper fi,

Jim

I’ve never seen those posted as disabled only, and generally all the uniformed person does is stand there. I’ve never been questioned if I head to the elevator, even if I’m not using any mobility assistance device. People who don’t need the elevator may assume it is for those who need it only, but it generally is not.

Airports, cruise terminals and other public places where a usually uniformed person is posted.

Semper fi,

Jim

never seen that. closest I have seen is the Metro in DC where the Elevators all have signs stating WC have priority over strollers.( not that that stopped a very pushy Mom with a stroller from dictating who got on the elevator when it arrived.. which was her party of 8, natch. I should note that there was another WC waiting at the same time we arrived and she pulled up at about the same time we did. )