Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

It is both disappointing and expensive to not have the holiday experience you pay for.

Not just in terms of money many chose river cruising over bus trips for reasons around health/welfare and are disadvantaged by changes.

During the floods in 2013 some spent 20 hour days moving from ships to ships. Some had 3 ship swaps.

These experiences were well documented in the cases of 13 cruises that were impacted in the class action that involved scenic but other lines and passengers also suffered, as did the local people.

it is really important for these issues to be disclosed when purchasing and have a back up plan, as well as knowing the exact consequences around compensation or lack of.

I agree - and one of our party does have health problems that mean a cruise is ideal without needing to get on busses / walking unless able to on the day.

It is not Riviera Travel's fault that there is no water, but it is the lack of communication of their back up plan which has caused unnecessary stress. I had to phone a number of times over a number of hours before I could get the new itinerary. I have not yet been on the cruise so cannot comment on how they cope - (Hopefully very well in the circumstances!) I'll report back on this thread on my return!

We have just completed our APT river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest. Apart from a ship swap (from AmaVenita to AmaReina) at the halfway point (we were told while still in Australia) everything has been amazing and to itinerary. The night cruise through the lights of Budapest is a brilliant way to finish. We disembarked half an hour early this morning as I think the Amareina has to leave Budapest. It was going to be there for new cruisers tonight. I don't have more details. We are feeling VERY fortunate.

I am on an APT cruise Budapest to Amsterdam on the AmaBella, which departed Budapest last night. The itinerary was changed - after boarding, we were scheduled to stay overnight in Budapest and have tours there today, but due to low water levels (which must have been falling) the decision was made to start cruising to Vienna immediately after dinner. An additional sightseeing option has been offered for a day trip by bus to Budapest from Vienna, but it is a very long day (at least 3 hours each way) and few people have chosen this option.

We were told this morning that the authorities “closed” that stretch after we went through it, but the AmaReina (which is doing the same itinerary one day later than the AmaBella) is showing on cruisemapper as having left Budapest, so perhaps it has reopened.

We haven’t been given any information about swapping ships near Pfelling, but judging from what has been happening recently with other APT cruises on this itinerary, that seems fairly likely.

The cruise director has communicated the situation well and I haven’t heard any real grumbles from fellow passengers- all are glad to be on the boat not a bus!

Food and service on board is fantastic.

Hello. First time river cruise and first time poster here. We are set to leave on Viking on the Romantic Danube (from Budapest) on the 25th. We have purchased the travel insurance. It sounds very possible that the cruise will not end as we had planned. Would the insurance help in this case? Could we cancel?

Also, I agree with the previous post. Both Viking and our travel agent should have explained that this could be a problem and if it happens...this is the fix.

Not a fun way to go into a holiday!

Hello. First time river cruise and first time poster here. We are set to leave on Viking on the Romantic Danube (from Budapest) on the 25th. We have purchased the travel insurance. It sounds very possible that the cruise will not end as we had planned. Would the insurance help in this case? Could we cancel?

Also, I agree with the previous post. Both Viking and our travel agent should have explained that this could be a problem and if it happens...this is the fix.

Check your booking conditions. Unless the cruise is cancelled by Viking (who will reimburse) you have no claim. If you cancel yourself, you will lose your money.

I suspect Viking will do their utmost to reorganise the cruise and you will be fine (they are quite a good Co. in my opinion) just not so much cruising as expected.

Welcome to CC, even under such circumstances.

With regards to your insurance question, I don't anyone on this board could answer that. There are so man different insurance ytpes and also depends on your country. Best bet, is to check your insurance policy, especially under cancellation paragraph and / or check with your insurance provider.

First time poster & river cruiser also..following this thread...We are scheduled on the Legendary Danube with Avalon leaving Nuremberg Sept 7. We did not purchase trip insurance. I called Avalon and they said if the entire cruise was cancelled (they've only cancelled 3 so far) they would refund everything..airfare..cruise and issue an additional $500 voucher.

First time poster & river cruiser also..following this thread...We are scheduled on the Legendary Danube with Avalon leaving Nuremberg Sept 7. We did not purchase trip insurance. I called Avalon and they said if the entire cruise was cancelled (they've only cancelled 3 so far) they would refund everything..airfare..cruise and issue an additional $500 voucher.

We are booked for this same cruise Sept 2019. Anything at all can happen with the weather next year and I'm not asking for predictions just hoping that you will post again after your cruise so that I can know how Avalon handled the situation and/or whether September 7th was OK even after a Summer like this one. We are not leaving until the 29th Sept. t so may be a little luckier.

Thank you

We are also going to be on the Romantic Danube from Budapest on Viking on the 24th. I called Viking today and they are saying some ports are closed right now like Budapest. They are putting people in hotels and then a 3-4 hour bus ride to Vienna. After that, who know? I also took out the Viking Insurance. From what I understand, it depends when you purchased it. If you purchased it when you booked, you should be covered up to the day before and you will get back your amount(minus insurance) in a voucher. Please call your own policy to confirm what you have. I am still deciding what to do. I have some health issues that would make traveling mostly on buses not what I signed up for. I am aware river levels change,but what is happening is not the norm at all.

Travelling Budapest to Linz and back on Sunday 19th August with Riviera. Two days time.

We have then booked three days extension in Budapest.

Just got a phone call - No water in the Danube, so.....

First two nights are in Budapest on a different boat

Then transfer to another boat that is moored somewhere on Third day

Then up to Linz and back somewhere to transfer to another boat in Budapest (sixth day?).

No point unpacking!

So our 10 day holiday will be 5 days in Budapest.

(If I wanted 5 days in Budapest I would have booked a hotel there!)

Lack of water happens and I'm grumpy BUT

Why cant Riviera tell me what the new itinerary is, what will be done to compensate for the upheaval and bussing everywhere. For goodness sake we are off in two days !!!

There are 6 of us, cost 14,000 GBP doesn't look good!

I suspect this information from their web site under weather pretty much tells you what you can expect for compensation for weather induced changes. Thus the reason why they are not forthcoming.

Our sales advisors are happy to provide advice on weather in our destinations. However, weather patterns are becoming less predictable and we cannot be held responsible for any disruption to your holiday itinerary due to bad or un-seasonal weather conditions or pay compensation/refunds for any alternative arrangements or property damage.

As far as most insurance policies the answer is no. For it to do you any good you would need either cancel for any reason insurance or insurance that covers in case of trip deviation (very very rare).

Most river cruise companies do have language on their web sites and in their contract that talk about potential weather problems and usually also say that they are not responsible for compensation for deviations due to such weather.

I suspect this information from their web site under weather pretty much tells you what you can expect for compensation for weather induced changes. Thus the reason why they are not forthcoming.

Our sales advisors are happy to provide advice on weather in our destinations. However, weather patterns are becoming less predictable and we cannot be held responsible for any disruption to your holiday itinerary due to bad or un-seasonal weather conditions or pay compensation/refunds for any alternative arrangements or property damage.

Clearly Riviera River Cruises doesn't rely on repeat business.

Clearly Riviera River Cruises doesn't rely on repeat business.

Actually that policy is pretty much the norm. I suspect you can find similar language on most of the river cruise lines web sites and contract language. At best you might get some money for lunches and a few other token items when having to switch ships, or remain docked is one spot with long bus excursions, even when having to spend more time in hotels. But very few lines give any significant refunds or other compensation as long as they provide a similar length tour (even if it is being bused from hotel to hotel.

We are booked for this same cruise Sept 2019. Anything at all can happen with the weather next year and I'm not asking for predictions just hoping that you will post again after your cruise so that I can know how Avalon handled the situation and/or whether September 7th was OK even after a Summer like this one. We are not leaving until the 29th Sept. t so may be a little luckier.

Thank you

Hi from the east coast of Canada. My ta has advised me that she hesitates to book passengers for river cruises in August due to water levels and recommends that you travel in September or October. She says that the rains always come in the fall so hopefully you will be fine leaving at the end of September. We are booked on the Scenic Amber from Budapest to Nuremberg on October 11.

It does make it worrisome after a summer of heat and dry conditions. I will let you know how our trip evolves in October.

We leave on Monday on Scenic. It's suppose to be the Pearl but I'm guessing that it won't be. We haven't heard anything from Scenic yet about changes. I'll post if or when I do.

Hi Karen, any update to your situation from Scenic? You will probably be fine until Vienna, then my have to bus it to Budapest.

Fingers crossed for you!

The situation on the Danube does not appear to improve. While the level Pfelling gauging station had shown a rise it has been fluctuating on a sightly higher level for the last week with no real improvement. The current level is 237cm. The next two days will be hot all over Germany with Bavaria reaching 30 degrees C tomorrow and the day after. No rain. That could come towards the end of the week.

notamermaid

There could be some relief on the horizon. The weather forecaste for Passau. The follwoing should be taken with a pinch of salt, the forecaste is for the next 4 days hot sunny and 30°C - no rain, from Friday (24th.)it is predicted that we will have 5 days of rain with temperatures in the 15°C - 21°C range. It looks like the heatwave will be over this coming weekend.

I do not know how wide spread the rain will be or what impact it will make on the Danube levels. Rain is needed all over the Danube catchment area so that the Danube tributries can feed it over a long period.

If the rains do come it should help the situation down stream from Passau, namely vienna to Budapest.

Fingers crossed.

There could be some relief on the horizon. The weather forecaste for Passau. The follwoing should be taken with a pinch of salt, the forecaste is for the next 4 days hot sunny and 30°C - no rain, from Friday (24th.)it is predicted that we will have 5 days of rain with temperatures in the 15°C - 21°C range. It looks like the heatwave will be over this coming weekend.

I do not know how wide spread the rain will be or what impact it will make on the Danube levels. Rain is needed all over the Danube catchment area so that the Danube tributries can feed it over a long period.

If the rains do come it should help the situation down stream from Passau, namely vienna to Budapest.

Fingers crossed.

One forecast I have seen is saying 50 to 80 MM of rain for Budapest from Sunday through Tuesday next week and about 50 MM for Vienna around the same time. But it is only Monday and forecasts have been known to change, rapidly!! :confused:

Hi from the east coast of Canada. My ta has advised me that she hesitates to book passengers for river cruises in August due to water levels and recommends that you travel in September or October. She says that the rains always come in the fall so hopefully you will be fine leaving at the end of September. We are booked on the Scenic Amber from Budapest to Nuremberg on October 11.

It does make it worrisome after a summer of heat and dry conditions. I will let you know how our trip evolves in October.

We did Vienna to Amsterdam in late October, early November of 2016. The rivers were very low then, too. Pretty much everyone but Avalon was stuck on the Danube somewhere. We made it through with no issues on Avalon but the captain did express some concerns a couple of times.

The thing is... you can't count on rain in the Fall any more than any other time of the year. You can't forecast based on history.

What you CAN do, to improve your chances (still no guarantees) is to book a cruise line with the newest, shallow draft ships... like Avalon has.

We're sailing on AmaCerto in 5 days, Nuremberg to Budapest. I've been watching cruisemapper and haven't seen any ships docked in Nuremberg. Ama said as of today there are no changes to the schedule. Has anyone docked in Nuremberg this month? Any other website to check for ships in port? It looks like Ama has been starting from Vilhofsen. Appreciate any info.

Unless the skies open up unexpectedly, you are almost certainly going to be in hotels and buses until Passau. They're probably saying "No changes to the schedule" because even five days is too far into the future for them to announce firm schedule changes. They should be adding "At this time" to their statement. Their contract probably clearly allows them to alter cruise plans to buses vice boats, so low water isn't necessarily a reason to out and out cancel the cruise. To be fair to them, they can't predict the weather. You should maybe be prepared for a message from them in 2/3 days. Each cruise line has provided unique options depending on their specific situation.

We did Vienna to Amsterdam in late October, early November of 2016. The rivers were very low then, too. Pretty much everyone but Avalon was stuck on the Danube somewhere. We made it through with no issues on Avalon but the captain did express some concerns a couple of times.

The thing is... you can't count on rain in the Fall any more than any other time of the year. You can't forecast based on history.

What you CAN do, to improve your chances (still no guarantees) is to book a cruise line with the newest, shallow draft ships... like Avalon has.

Or like Scenic, which I believe has the lowest draft of any riverboats, or just sailon the ocean...lol

It might be a good idea to cross-check where the ships are on the site Marinetraffic. However, there are holes in the signal coverage, you will need to look out for when the latest signal was sent. Nuremberg and Regensburg are in the troubled stretch of the Danube as such but companies might opt to make those towns the embarkation ports (if they are not already) due to logistics and the lack of docking facilities elsewhere.

notamermaid