Edge officers, staff shaping up

vtcruising

I saw some feedback from recent cruisers about some of the potential Edge officers. I had heard about the captains, but not the HD and CD. Happy to see that Maarten Bruels announced that he will be the opening CD.

Here is what I was able to find - would love to hear what others have heard:

Captains:

Costas Nestoroudis

Dimitrios Kafetzis

Hotel Director: Niyazi Korkmaz

Cruise Director: Maarten Bruels

(not trying to usurp Arno's thread, but I sometimes miss some of the Edge info on the main board)

I saw some feedback from recent cruisers about some of the potential Edge officers. I had heard about the captains, but not the HD and CD. Happy to see that Maarten Bruels announced that he will be the opening CD.

Here is what I was able to find - would love to hear what others have heard:

Captains:

Costas Nestoroudis

Dimitrios Kafetzis

(not trying to usurp Arno's thread, but I sometimes miss some of the Edge info on the main board)

I hope maarten is still a cruise director at transatlantik in April 2020. I met him as an Activity Manager on Eclipse I hope I hope so, I hope so: D Dimitrios Kafetzis is also a cool guy

I hope maarten is still a cruise director at transatlantik in April 2020. I met him as an Activity Manager on Eclipse I hope I hope so, I hope so: D Dimitrios Kafetzis is also a cool guy

Good to hear - I don't think I have sailed with Captain Kafetzis. I have sailed with Maarten and liked his style.

Orator also said on another thread that HD Niyazi was planning to take a number of people from Reflection to Edge so hopefully we will see some familiar faces on the Edge in November.

According to staff on Silhouette this past week, the notifications to staff members about whether they are invited to join Edge have begun to go out. Edge staff selections are based on either recommendations from managers or if a staff member applies. All of the staff we spoke to had zero interest in going to Edge as a new ship is very stressful on the staff in its first year primarily because so much attention is focused on the ship and service expectations are so much higher; there is a lot of pressure. One staff member said that if you are invited to join the new ship staff (based on a manager recommendation) and you decline it then Celebrity may not renew your contract when it's up so they feel obligated to go.

Interesting... here I was thinking it was an honor to be chosen. [emoji2]

Me too. I was surprised to hear this and from more than one staff member. The one plus side they said is that the new ships always have the best crew quarters but they still weren’t worth it to join the ship in its first year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Me too. I was surprised to hear this and from more than one staff member. The one plus side they said is that the new ships always have the best crew quarters but they still weren’t worth it to join the ship in its first year.

Makes sense. I’ve heard the same from people opening a new hotel or tech support center. It’s an honor to be considered best of the best, but if they fail, their careers can nosedive. Celebrity’s strategy is brilliant because the best staff surely have positive relationships with many repeat passengers, some of whom are booked on the early sailings. This should help to smooth the inevitable rough edges. We can do our part by remaining civil, realistic and understanding when we board our beautiful new temporary home.

Perhaps comments from a staff member (or even a few staff members) to somebody on board then become the generalization here about the feelings of all staff members. My guess is that some staff will not want to be on a new ship for the reasons stated. Some people are resistant to change and others thrive on it. Some will be honored to be chosen. Some will love the challenge of getting a new ship up and running efficiently. Some will love the new environment or technology. Some will have a promotion opportunity. It will be as mixed as the differences across a large group of people.

Perhaps comments from a staff member (or even a few staff members) to somebody on board then become the generalization here about the feelings of all staff members. My guess is that some staff will not want to be on a new ship for the reasons stated. Some people are resistant to change and others thrive on it. Some will be honored to be chosen. Some will love the challenge of getting a new ship up and running efficiently. Some will love the new environment or technology. Some will have a promotion opportunity. It will be as mixed as the differences across a large group of people.

Where did anyone that this was the opinion of all staff members? In my post above I said it is what I heard from several staff members on my recent cruise who chose to share their opinions.

• 3 weeks later...

From Beanb41 on Arno's thread:

"Kirsty Sparks was appointed inaugural Captains Club Host on the Edge during the just completed Solstice cruise. "

From reports on CC, here is the Edge opening list so far:

Captains:

Costas Nestoroudis

Dimitrios Kafetzis

Captain's Club Host: Kirsty Sparks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Reflection on March 12.

Bogdan was on board and he confirmed he will be transferring to the Edge as her first Suite Manager. He is the Best.

Julie Sherrington will be Guest Relations Manager.

And Katya, the Hostess in Luminae, will also be going to the Edge.

Bogdan was on board and he confirmed he will be transferring to the Edge as her first Suite Manager. He is the Best.

Thanks! Sounds like we will have the cream of the crop!

Here is what people have reported so far for the Edge:

Masters: Costas Nestoroudis, Dimitrios Kafetzis

Staff Captain: Matt Karandreas

Guest Relations Manager: Julie Sherrington

Food & Beverage: Clint Kelu

Executive Chef:

Suite Manager: Bogdan, Maja (both have been reported)

Retreat Lounge Host:

Luminae Host: Katya

Any other news? Again, I'm not trying usurp Arno's thread - he will most likely add the Edge to the spreadsheet when placements are confirmed. In the meantime, we can keep track of the what has been reported here.

Here is what people have reported so far for the Edge:

Masters: Costas Nestoroudis, Dimitrios Kafetzis

Staff Captain: Matt Karandreas

Guest Relations Manager: Julie Sherrington

Food & Beverage: Clint Kelu

Executive Chef:

Suite Manager: Bogdan, Maja (both have been reported)

Retreat Lounge Host:

Luminae Host: Katya

Any other news? Again, I'm not trying usurp Arno's thread - he will most likely add the Edge to the spreadsheet when placements are confirmed. In the meantime, we can keep track of the what has been reported here.

We spoke directly to Bogdan who said he was going on vacation in June, then would be transferring to the Edge in September.

In fact, all those who told us they were chosen to go to the Edge were following the same pattern, starting vacation in May or June, then coming back to the Reflection just before transferring to the Edge in September in preparation for her first sailings in November. Included in this group were our favorite Waiter and Assistant server in Luminae and our Butler, Vishnu. 👍🏻

Is this Kat from Ukraine? That used to work in Silk Harvest on Equinox and has been on Reflection for a while now? I think the last time we saw her on Reflection she said she works in "suite restaurant" now so I hope so, we love her.

Is this Kat from Ukraine? That used to work in Silk Harvest on Equinox and has been on Reflection for a while now? I think the last time we saw her on Reflection she said she works in "suite restaurant" now so I hope so, we love her.

Yes, and we love her too. We haven’t sailed on Equinox since her Inaugural in 2009, our last 4 cruises have been on Reflection. The first time we met Katya she was a waiter in Luminae. On our last 2 cruises on Reflection Katya has been the Luminae Hostess.

Wow...I so happy about Bogdan, as he is absolutely wonderful. I will see him again at the end of April and then in exactly one year from April on Edge TA!!!

We'll be back with him on the Dec. 9th Edge Cruise before the TA. 😉