American Empress Category E cabins...

Windsailer

I'm thinking about a cruise on the American Empress next year and need some help figuring out cabins. It looks like from the deck plans that the category E cabins are on Deck 4 and have a veranda...but not a private balcony. Has anyone stayed in one of those cabins? How was it? Did you feel a lack of privacy because of the walkway beyond the veranda? Really looking forward to some information. I'm a long time HAL cruiser looking for something different.

Since you have not received any responses, I thought I would chime in. I have not sailed on the American Empress but I HAVE sailed in a similar type cabin on the American Queen. Actually, several of them on different decks. It did not bother us, but one of the verandahs was wider so people did not pass too close to our door (and our chairs) and we liked that better. You might want to avoid, if possible, whatever deck offers a full circuit since you will get lots of walkers especially in the morning.

Here is what I recall from sailing on the Empress 9 years ago. Please understand it was owned by Majestic at that time. I don't believe they have modified it since then. Try to visualize a promenade deck up there that as usual encircles the boat with two components. At or along the outer railing is a promenade walkway available to all passengers. Adjacent to the walkway outside of your individual cabin is a "verandah" that was designated with a fence or low railing. Your reserved chairs are within this veranda area for your exclusive use. Yes the walkers will circle the deck and walk by your verandah,but will not enter your space unless you invite them. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures to help as a visual aide.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

This is the category we booked for next October. Our TA said it was a great choice and excellent value considering it comes with a veranda. We love people watching as well as meeting new friends, so the semi-private thing doesn't bother us at all.

We were on American Empress in October last year. Although we had a balcony, IMO a veranda would have been fine. We didn't spend a lot of time on the balcony, as there were plenty of other public places to sit outside.

Didn't see a lot of walkers, but half of the time we were docked in the mornings and walkers may have already been off the boat.

Our trip was Portland to Clarkston. If you have any other questions I can answer, let me know.

We were on American Empress in October last year. Although we had a balcony, IMO a veranda would have been fine. We didn't spend a lot of time on the balcony, as there were plenty of other public places to sit outside.

Didn't see a lot of walkers, but half of the time we were docked in the mornings and walkers may have already been off the boat.

Our trip was Portland to Clarkston. If you have any other questions I can answer, let me know.

Hi,

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but I'll sneak some extra questions in if you don't mind. We'll be on the Empress in October 2017 (hotel on the 1st and then embarking on the 2nd from Portland area). What was your weather like in October...long sleeves vs short sleeves, type of outer wear needed, etc)? Did you do many premium excursions? Were there many rainy days? What is the best memory you have of that trip? Thanks for any insight you want to share!

Therese from Maine

We flew in on the 3rd, stayed at the Vancouver Hilton & boarded ship on the 4th of October Enjoyed the farmer's market across the street from hotel - even bought some fresh flowers for our cabin. Weather was great for us - most days were short sleeves, but we took a light jacket along on excursions. We took the Portland City Tour, Multnomah Falls, and Hell's Canyon Jet Boat premium tours. - and the bus ride to the Spokane airport (if you want to call that an excursion?!). Also enjoyed the hop-on hop-off bus, especially the stop at the Reach in Richland & the Richland farmer's market. Some have complained about the stops being in such small towns, but I like small towns. The American Empress had plenty of public places (indoors & outdoors). Enjoyed the River Grille - ate there for most breakfasts and lunches and 2 evenings (maximum evenings which we could register). Also met a lot of nice people. Can't pick out a best memory as I enjoyed it all! Hope you do too!

We flew in on the 3rd, stayed at the Vancouver Hilton & boarded ship on the 4th of October Enjoyed the farmer's market across the street from hotel - even bought some fresh flowers for our cabin. Weather was great for us - most days were short sleeves, but we took a light jacket along on excursions. We took the Portland City Tour, Multnomah Falls, and Hell's Canyon Jet Boat premium tours. - and the bus ride to the Spokane airport (if you want to call that an excursion?!). Also enjoyed the hop-on hop-off bus, especially the stop at the Reach in Richland & the Richland farmer's market. Some have complained about the stops being in such small towns, but I like small towns. The American Empress had plenty of public places (indoors & outdoors). Enjoyed the River Grille - ate there for most breakfasts and lunches and 2 evenings (maximum evenings which we could register). Also met a lot of nice people. Can't pick out a best memory as I enjoyed it all! Hope you do too!

Thanks for the info - I'm sure we'll enjoy it all!

• 1 month later...

Another thought would be to book into the 'guarantee' category. Depending on the sailing (and how full the ship is), with the guarantee cabin, you could very easily get bumped to a regular cabin with a private verandah, since there are more of those than there are the E cabins. Again, it IS a gamble, but I know some people that did it and it worked out well for them! Worth asking your agent!!!

(We'll be on her in two weeks, so will try to remember to take some photos and report back)!