What is done with the salt after making fresh water?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:10 PM.
Holland
1,001 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
An explanation of the distillation of seawater is shown in this video of the QM2

At "more than a thousand tonnes" of fresh water used on QM2 daily, and about 35g/kg salinity (Wiki), that's 35,000kg/77.000 pounds of salt/day.

One thing I don't understand is that by the looks of it, the way they remove the resulting salt wavers it can't be that much.

The other is: what do they do with it? Dumping anything in the sea seems forbidden, but returning salt a few hours later shouldn't be a problem? If it is kept on board, could I buy some?
In the kamloops in the dry and hottest part of BC
12,927 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Originally posted by AmazedByCruising
An explanation of the distillation of seawater is shown in this video of the QM2

At "more than a thousand tonnes" of fresh water used on QM2 daily, and about 35g/kg salinity (Wiki), that's 35,000kg/77.000 pounds of salt/day.

One thing I don't understand is that by the looks of it, the way they remove the resulting salt wavers it can't be that much.

The other is: what do they do with it? Dumping anything in the sea seems forbidden, but returning salt a few hours later shouldn't be a problem? If it is kept on board, could I buy some?
I think it is 3.5g/kg of water . Remember that the salt isn't pure salt . It has other impurities that you can't use . Since the water comes from the sea there will all sort junk in it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Future

Holland
1,001 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by Kamloops50
I think it is 3.5g/kg of water . Remember that the salt isn't pure salt . It has other impurities that you can't use . Since the water comes from the sea there will all sort junk in it.
I got the 35g/kg from Wikipedia, but even at 3.5g/kg there's still a huge amount of salt left.

There are more uses than eating it. You could create seawater with the exact right ingredients for use in aquariums, another use is to make my own little Dead Sea experience in a tub. And if it's not too contaminated, it could actually be sold for eating. Fleur de sel comes directly from the sea as well. Caribbean Ocean Salt would do nice next to Himalaya, Celtic and even smoked Norwegian salts I can find in shops.
Palm City, Fl
4,857 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
It may be distributed to the bars onboard for use on Margarita glasses.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Spirit 2003 (Caribbean)
Carnival Fascination 2004 (Caribbean)
HAL Noordam 2004 (Norway)
Celebrity Horizon 2005 (Caribbean)
Sun Princess 2006 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess 2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Splendor 2008 ( E. Mediterranean)
Carnival Glory 2010 (b2b E+W Caribbean)
Emerald Princess 2012 (Caribbean)
Island Princess 2012 (Panama Canal-full transit)
Ruby Princess 2014 (Caribbean)
HAL Ryndam 2014 (W. Caribbean)
Ruby Princess 2014 (W. Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2016 (Journey-E. Caribbean)
HAL Zaandam 2016 (BA to Santiago)

Crown Princess 2018 (Western Caribbean)
HAL Zuiderdam 2018 (Partial Canal)
Royal Princess 2018 (Quebec to Ft Lauderdale)
Jensen Beach, FL
12,402 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Originally posted by AmazedByCruising

Now you know why the food tastes so salty!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Click to email Jim Click for Cruise list
RCI DIAMOND+,
CELEBRITY ELITE, PRINCESS ELITE , HAL ***, MSC BLACK CARD

RCI Pinnacle
6,250 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
LOL...dumping salt in seawater is not prohibited. It has a negligible impact on the salinity of the ocean.
Silver Spring, Maryland
25 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
After all, what happensto the salt when the H2O evaporation from the sea? Someone can't just pick up all that salt from the ocean when liquid becomes a gas right?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Fair Winds and Following Seas.
Delta Queen, Mississippi, '69; White Water OpenCanoe, 250+ Rivers & Creeks, '72 to '13; Celebrity; Southern Caribbean, '85;Caravel Western Caribbean '92; Celebrity, Panama Canal, '07; Look N' Good,Chesapeake Bay '99 to '03; Look N; Better, Chesapeake Bay, '03 to '17; Uniworld, Seine, '12; AmaWaterways, Rhine, Xmass 2013; Uniworld,Venice '14; Celebrity, Alaska, 2017
Las Vegas
12,108 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Although I do not know the answer, I can not see what harm putting the salt back into the ocean from whence it came can do any harm to anything. It is not as if you are putting something into the ocean that was not already there.

DON
Florida
21,398 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by ehfl
Thanks for the laugh. 77 lbs per day is perfectly safe to dump back into the ocean.
That is all😀
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
We've been on
Carnival: 27 voyages 184 days
Celebrity: 3 voyages 24 days
Holland: 31 voyages 823 days
Norwegian: 2 voyages 16 days
Princess: 16 voyages 154 days
Royal Carib: 5 voyages 35 days
Vantage:River 2 voyages 39 days
GRAND TOTAL: 86 Cruises 1280 days

NOT YET SAILED
Rotterdam Boston to Rotter 7/18 - 19 days
Prinsendam Amster to FTL 8/18 96 days
Zaandam Antarctic 12/18 - 22 days
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/19 113 days
Nieuw Statadam 8/19 52 days
Koningsdam 10/19 37 days
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/20 128 days
Winter: Sun City Grand Surprise , AZ & Summer: Prescott, AZ
3,050 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
I think Viking puts it in the soup they serve! We were on the Embla in April the soups were so salty they were awful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Georgia
10,206 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Looking forward to a definitive answer. All I could find from searching the Internet pertained to on-short desalination, such as this:
Q: What happens to the salt once it is removed from the seawater?
A: The concentrated saltwater is mixed with the circulating cooling water of the AES Generating Station, significantly diluting the concentrated seawater, and released back into the ocean, where it will be further diluted and dissipated to meet all local, state and federal standards including California’s Ocean Plan standards.
http://hbfreshwater.com/desalination-101
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
“Those who do not know satisfaction, even when living in a heavenly palace, are still not satisfied. Those who do not know satisfaction, even if rich, are poor. People who know satisfaction, even if poor, are rich.” ― Gautama Buddha
california
1,804 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by goldenrod
I think Viking puts it in the soup they serve! We were on the Embla in April the soups were so salty they were awful!

That might be funny but you were cruising on rivers which are fresh water. Might want to learn science and geography between rants.
Winter: Sun City Grand Surprise , AZ & Summer: Prescott, AZ
3,050 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by wheezedr
That might be funny but you were cruising on rivers which are fresh water. Might want to learn science and geography between rants.

Your right, the truth is the food on the Viking Embla a least on our 21 day trip was Awful, it's so nice to have a nasty jerk like yourself, give me the opportunity to express that again!

United States
3,633 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
LOL...dumping salt in seawater is not prohibited. It has a negligible impact on the salinity of the ocean.
It is in some jurisdictions.

Really.

I had for a client years ago a salt company. When at their facility in MD, I noticed the entire paved area had a 6+ inch high curb. SO I asked why?

The reason was, the State of Maryland required them to capture all the run off from rain on there paved area and test the salinity before releasing it. INTO THE CHESAPEAKE BAY, which is estuarian (partially salty, less than the ocean).

But the salinity of the bay varies from month to month and year to year.

STUPID.

Never underestimate the stupidity of government agencies.
Low Country, SC
4,875 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
It isn't dry salt, the flash evaporators have two outputs, fresh water from one spot and brine from the other, which is nothing but water with a lot more salt than regular sea water. It just gets pumped overboard when out to sea.

FWIW, if they use the same process we used in the Navy, the water is boiled at about 5 inches of vacuum which reduces the boiling temp to about 145F. Therefore they won't "make" water when near shore, since the water is usually much dirtier, and often polluted with sewage and other such nasties. Therefore they also chlorinate the water to ensure the nasties are dead.

Hope that helps.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wraithe
herbathdwatson.us

USS Henry L. Stimson-SSBN 655 Gold (4 patrols 1988-1991)
USS Daniel Webster-SSBN 626 Blue (Conversion crew 1991-1995)
USS Nebraska-SSBN 739 Blue (5 patrols 1995-1998)
USS Wyoming-SSBN 742 Blue (3 patrols 2002-2004)

Diamond RCL, Grandeur, Enchantment, Radiance, Mariner, Freedom, Liberty, Oasis and X Century
1,847 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Thanks for the laugh. 77 lbs per day is perfectly safe to dump back into the ocean.
Except it's 77,000 lbs, not 77 lbs.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Glory - 5/19/18
Carnival Victory - 6/16/15
Carnival Fascination - 12/24/07
Carnival Triumph - 3/10/07
Carnival Victory - 7/15/06
USS Abraham Lincoln - CVN72 - 2001
Holland
1,001 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by wraithe
It isn't dry salt, the flash evaporators have two outputs, fresh water from one spot and brine from the other, which is nothing but water with a lot more salt than regular sea water. It just gets pumped overboard when out to sea.
Unfortunately, the original video I posted was removed. I remember that it showed dry salt which was put in bags.
Maybe most salt is removed as brine, but at least some of it is "harvested" as dry salt before being thrown overboard.

I have bought sea salt in France before, which was quite expensive. So, if a ship arrives in Rotterdam and happens to have stored a few tonnes of salt, I'd certainly be interested.