Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:08 AM.
Alberta, Canada
413 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Was looking in the Google Play store to see if HAL had an android app. Came across the Ship Mate app for various cruise lines. Please be aware that this app's permissions include the ability to take photos/videos without your consent AND the ability to make calls without your consent. This is an app developed by an independent third party and not the cruise lines they describe.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Forums mobile app
SoCal
21 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Originally posted by OldBoot
Was looking in the Google Play store to see if HAL had an android app. Came across the Ship Mate app for various cruise lines. Please be aware that this app's permissions include the ability to take photos/videos without your consent AND the ability to make calls without your consent. This is an app developed by an independent third party and not the cruise lines they describe.

OldBoot - this is not even a little bit true.

The app requires permissions to access your photos and to make calls for these reasons.

Photos: you're able to upload a photo to your profile - you can access your existing images to do this. For this reason, the app needs permission to get to these.

Phone Calls: there's an "Info" section of the app that offers contact information for the cruise line, including phone number. When you press that phone number, it dials that number. To do that, the app needs permission to dial out from here.

These are the ONLY instances when the app accesses photos or dials out and the user is fully aware and directing the app to do so.

I was initially curious about these permissions and asked the developers. I think it's irresponsible to make these assumptions and spread false rumors without knowing the truth. The developers are extremely responsive so feel free to reach out to them if you have any more questions.
Alberta, Canada
413 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Thank you! It seemed awfully weird. I appreciate you taking the time.

SoCal
21 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Originally posted by Dancer Bob
Did you actually test this yourself, or just accept what the developers told you?
I was told by the developers, then I tested. I'm in the software industry and can confirm what they've told me.

I just pulled up their email response:
"I apologize for the confusion. In no way would we ever jeopardize the trust of our users and our community.

Within the app, there's a feature that allows users to dial out to the cruise lines. To allow this, Google requires that the Android device ask for permission to do so. Unfortunately, we don't have the ability to ask for that permission at the instance users hit that dial-out button, and are forced to ask for it before download.

To eliminate any confusion, we're going to get rid of this feature so that we no longer have to ask for that.

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Mike"
You can confirm that they've removed this dial-out feature and the app no longer asks for that permission.

Dancer Bob - is there a reason why you think there was/is malicious intent? And, do you have any tech-credentials to support this?
Belgium
786 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Not sure if the problem is on my end, but this app takes a tremendous amount of battery and keeps running in the background the entire time. When I deleted the app, my phone got faster and battery drained slower.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
“The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see.”
Paris IL
1,904 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Originally posted by BigSeaMonster
Phone Calls: there's an "Info" section of the app that offers contact information for the cruise line, including phone number. When you press that phone number, it dials that number. To do that, the app needs permission to dial out from here.
I have the app on my iPod. I wish the app good luck trying to make a call

My main use for it is at work. Just pull out my iPod, start Ship Mate, see that I only have 57 days til cruise - refreshed for a few hours.

I've downloaded all the deck plans for the Serenade to use on the ship, and will probably put it in airplane mode while cruising.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

I suffer from CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, as they SHOULD be..
If you haven't grown up by 60, you don't have to...
St. Louis, MO
21 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Been using Ship Mate for quite some time and have had no issues with it. Developers are accessible for questions via email. Nice app IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Alaska - 1994 - Maasdam
Caribbean - 1997 - Norway
Alaska - 2000 - Norwegian Wind

Panama Canal Transit - 2001 - Rhapsody OTS
Hawaii - 2002 - Vision OTS
West Caribbean -2003 - Adventure OTS
East Caribbean - 2003 - Adventure OTS
Canada/New England - 2004 - Grandeur OTS
Alaska -2005 - Vision of the Seas
Bermuda - 2005 - Jewel OTS
E. Caribbean - 2006 - Mariner OTS
W. Caribbean - 2006 - Mariner OTS
Hawaii - 2007 - Radiance OTS
Scandinavia - 2008 - Jewel OTS
S. Caribbean - 2009 - Adventure OTS
E. Caribbean -2009 - Adventure OTS
Key West/Bahamas - 2010 - Celebrity Mercury
W. Mediterranean/Trans-Atlantic -2010 - Navigator OTS
E. Caribbean - 2011 - Celebrity Eclipse
Europe/Iceland/Tans-Atlantic - 2011 - Jewel OTS
E. Caribbean - 2012 - Oasis OTS

Canada - Autumn 2012 - Brilliance OTS
USA
1,020 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
It is a great app and the developers are easily accessible.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Terry
8/2018 RCI Grandeur Bermuda
5/2018 RCI Allure W Caribbean
4/2017 RCI Navigator S Caribbean
5/2016 RCI Adventure S Caribbean
4/2015 RCI Freedom W Caribbean
5/2014 RCI Grandeur Bahamas
5/2013 RCI Jewel S Caribbean
7/2011 RCI Serenade S Caribbean
5/2010 RCI Enchantment E Caribbean