[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:01 AM.
Cleveland, Ohio
325 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Hi all,

I'm looking for favorite portable cell phone chargers. I've checked out a few models but wouldn't mind some advice from any that are tried & true. Wandering around big ships I may run out of battery quick!

Thanks in advance,

Lisa N.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bellingham, WA
394 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by CLE2CRUISE
Hi all,

I'm looking for favorite portable cell phone chargers. I've checked out a few models but wouldn't mind some advice from any that are tried & true. Wandering around big ships I may run out of battery quick!

Thanks in advance,

Lisa N.
When you say "portable cell phone chargers," do you mean an external battery that you can take along in case your phone runs out of power while out and about? Or do you mean the charger that plugs into an outlet that you use to recharge the phone/etc?

Actually, my answer in both cases would be the same: I've had very good luck with Anker products.

I use an Anker PowerCore 13000 Compact 13000mAh 2-Port Ultra-Portable Phone Charger Power Bank that's small and lightweight, but holds a charge. I've gotten 4 full charges (taking my iPhone 6S from < 10% power remaining to 100%) on a single PowerCore charge. It does take awhile to recharge, but I just plug it in overnight, and it's ready to go the next day. I've had it since last February, and just got a case for it for my upcoming trip (first cruise ever, Holland America Amsterdam, 2 weeks Alaska). It's small enough to slip into my smallish shoulder bag and doesn't weigh a ton, either.

And I use an Anker 60W 6-port wall charger to charge phone, iPad, selfie stick, pen/stylus, PowerCore Charger, etc.

I have no connection with Anker other than being a happy repeat customer. I use their cables, currently using one of their USB hubs on my MacBook -- just very satisfied with the quality.

Lana in Bellingham
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Georgia
9,979 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Originally posted by ArtsyCraftsy
I use an Anker PowerCore 13000 Compact 13000mAh 2-Port Ultra-Portable Phone Charger Power Bank that's small and lightweight, but holds a charge.
A quick note about these devices. The FAA placed a limit on these earlier this year... 100 watt hours per battery (or about 20000 mAh). I'm not sure if they're all gone yet, but last time I checked, some folks were still trying to dump their stock of 21,000-28,000 mAh power banks, so be careful. If you fly to the port, more isn't always better.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming: 6/30/2018 ms Nieuw Amsterdam (Alaska) [Roll Call]
“Those who do not know satisfaction, even when living in a heavenly palace, are still not satisfied. Those who do not know satisfaction, even if rich, are poor. People who know satisfaction, even if poor, are rich.” ― Gautama Buddha
Cleveland, Ohio
325 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Originally posted by ArtsyCraftsy
When you say "portable cell phone chargers," do you mean an external battery that you can take along in case your phone runs out of power while out and about? Or do you mean the charger that plugs into an outlet that you use to recharge the phone/etc?

Actually, my answer in both cases would be the same: I've had very good luck with Anker products.

I use an Anker PowerCore 13000 Compact 13000mAh 2-Port Ultra-Portable Phone Charger Power Bank that's small and lightweight, but holds a charge. I've gotten 4 full charges (taking my iPhone 6S from < 10% power remaining to 100%) on a single PowerCore charge. It does take awhile to recharge, but I just plug it in overnight, and it's ready to go the next day. I've had it since last February, and just got a case for it for my upcoming trip (first cruise ever, Holland America Amsterdam, 2 weeks Alaska). It's small enough to slip into my smallish shoulder bag and doesn't weigh a ton, either.

And I use an Anker 60W 6-port wall charger to charge phone, iPad, selfie stick, pen/stylus, PowerCore Charger, etc.

I have no connection with Anker other than being a happy repeat customer. I use their cables, currently using one of their USB hubs on my MacBook -- just very satisfied with the quality.

Lana in Bellingham

Hi! Thanks. I meant the former. I happened to have purchased one about 5 minutes before you sent this (lol of course!) but it also happened to be an anker so I think I'm
Good. Excellent reviews and all.

I appreciate your help!

Lisa N

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bellingham, WA
394 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by bUU
A quick note about these devices. The FAA placed a limit on these earlier this year... 100 watt hours per battery (or about 20000 mAh). I'm not sure if they're all gone yet, but last time I checked, some folks were still trying to dump their stock of 21,000-28,000 mAh power banks, so be careful. If you fly to the port, more isn't always better.
Great points for sure. I'm taking the train to my embarkation port for this trip, but will flying to all my other future cruises. My 13000 mAh does a great job, so I'll keep an eye on the FAA limits.

Thanks!

Lana
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

los angeles
294 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
i also came by to rave about ankers.

i did not know about the faa limit. i've traveled with multiple batteries in the past. i'll have to be more careful.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

United States
2,687 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
I like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A universal adapter with 2x USB charging ports. So can charge two devices at one time, plus still use the outlet. And onboard, you can use one of the Euro outlets (if US, or vice versa), that you would not normally be using.

Realize this converts the PLUG, but NOT the VOLTAGE. Euro outlets are 220 volts, US outlets are 110 volts. Make SURE any device you plug into the adapter, it is safe for the voltage.
18,979 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by SRF
I like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A universal adapter with 2x USB charging ports. So can charge two devices at one time, plus still use the outlet. And onboard, you can use one of the Euro outlets (if US, or vice versa), that you would not normally be using.

Realize this converts the PLUG, but NOT the VOLTAGE. Euro outlets are 220 volts, US outlets are 110 volts. Make SURE any device you plug into the adapter, it is safe for the voltage.
The OP wants a portable battery, not a plug.
Cleveland, Ohio
325 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
I'm pretty happy with my Anker purchase so far! Thanks for the help and advice, everyone!!

Lisa N.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
California
335 Posts
Joined May 2016
Originally posted by CLE2CRUISE
Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

Lisa N.

DH and I each have a Mophie Powerstation 3x battery. It will fully charge my iPhone 6 and my full size iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nov 2017 - Ruby Princess - Mexican Riviera
Sept 2018 - Grand Princess - Alaska
April 20, 2017 - Caribbean Princess - Europe
October 22, 2006 - Mariner of the Seas - Western Caribbean
August 4, 2002 - Grandeur of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
Big Apple
7,678 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
With the newer iPhone (mine is 5S, as a global travel & backup phone) - integrated battery case (Alpatronix BX-120 with 2,400 maH rating, charged via micro-usb cable) - boosting the internal 1,500 maH battery, more than 2.5X normal standby/usage - good for easily 2 days of moderate to heavy usage, depending on Apps being run. Otherwise, a week of standby mode & light use, seldom the need to take out the charger.

For charging on the road/go - a high-output dual USB compact/folder, dual-voltage charger by iClever, works with iOS Lightning cables and Android smartphones & tablets ... micro-usb and usb-C cables, easily topping off devices in 30 minutes to 1 hour, while in-between (airport lounges & boarding gate) - does not block the 2nd. wall outlet.

Otherwise, Anker's hi-output charger with 4 usb-ports (newer ones has 5 ... bulky & heavier) - same compatibility as above.

For reserved & standalone 5v power in the middle of nowhere (i.e. unexpected power outage) - aside from a dual-outpout 12 volt vehicle charger (rental cars, etc.) with lighter plug to tap for charging, taking minimum of space ... carry an Allpowers slim USB battery, rated up to 5,500 maH (about the size of an iPhone 5) - enough reserve to power my Nexus 5X smartphone and either Nexus 7 tablet or iPad Mini for travel (those 10+ hours T/A or T/P long haul flights ... plane's onboard usb port are fine for staying connected but not always good enough for keeping devices fully charged).

Newer models of iClever and Anker are all on Amazon, along with Allpowers - a simple 2 LED's or 3 LED's usb light plugged in served as a portable lantern for general lightning for a small area ... continuously for easily several days (a safe, modern day hurricane "lamp") *** For cruising, the mini-LED is excellent as a night light to find one's way to the stateroom's bathroom, it is very bright & barely drain the battery at all.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Gem - 7D FL/GSC/Nassau (4/28/18) Review, Pix, Dailies, MDR menus, FAQ, etc.
NCL Breakaway Semi Live 10/29-11/3/17 Halloween Storm Special Take #2 Link w. Dailies
Latest - NCL's iConcierge App, WiFi, FAQ/guides, tips/extras, etc. GSC cellular services & WiFi.
NCL Gem - 7D FL/GSC/Nassau (4/29/17) Pix, Dailies, MDR menu, FAQ, WiFi & Extras. CC Gem review.
NCL Breakaway - 7D Bermuda (5/22/16) Semi Live Quick Update, Pix & Extras - Link
NCL Breakaway - 7D FL/GSC/Nassau (3/22/15) Pix Review, FAQ & Extras
NCL Breakaway - 7D FL/Bahamas (3/23/14) Sailaway (photos,) Inside/Balcony, FAQ, Dining & Review
CCL Splendor 8D E. Caribbean (9/22/13) Pix Review - *8B* Balcony 8417 & 8419 PDF Links: FunTimes, Internet & some Menus **
NCL Gem - 9D E.Caribbean Review (11/7/2012) post Hurricane Sandy NYC Dailies, Maps, & Specials.
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (Bermuda 5D - May 5, 2012) Review
NCL Jewel: (Bahamas 7D - Feb. 13, 2011) Freestyle Daily schedules
NCLA Pride of America - 7D Hawaii May 2009 Review Road to Hana (video) photos (u/l from NCL Star: Mexico Rivera, March 2009 & Alaska, Sept 2009)
NCL Crown, Bermuda 2007 & 2006, NCL Dawn 2005 & 2003, NCL Sea 2001
RCCL Voyager of the Seas (Canada/NE 2004)
Premier Cruises SS Sea Breeze (1998) Prince of Fundy Cruises MS Scotia Prince (1993, 95)
57 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Just a thought here. A lot of people like to carry a torch with them too for varying reasons (one person said the ship had a power outage and has carried a torch since. Thing is, you can now get a rechargeable torch that can charge from USB, solar or even hand crank that can also double as a phone charger (many even have a built in radio but that isn't much use on board). Some of these are getting to be pretty small and are quite cheap so may be a good multipurpose alternative.

Example ......

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Emergenc...iQVPnBqSihD4og

Although how long the link will be valid, I can't say
Asheville, NC US
181 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Another vote for Anker products. When we travel, I carry two lipstick-sized chargers - one for me and one for my husband. They have kept us going all day. We plug them in to charge them every night at the hotel or ship. Wouldn't be without them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cynthia & Scott

Save
Save

Save
Save