Food "souvenirs"...

Camelia-

This is absolutely not true! I can assure you that Argentinian duty free shops are not notifying any authorities about their biscuit sales. Once they have your money they do not give you another thought. How do they know you haven’t scoffed them on the flight?

To the OP, my advice is to check with the Canadian quarantine authorities about what foods you can import. If in doubt when you get back, declare it. Many years ago even Vegemite was a prohibited import to the US.

My vote goes to Fruchocs, addictive chocolate covered apricot balls. I think they may only be available in South Australia but it’s worth the trip ;p

Sorry I was there it happened! We were not allowed to take our purchase with us but had to pick it up as we boarded the plane. The airline steward told us, they would be taken off us in Sydney and they were.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry I was there it happened! We were not allowed to take our purchase with us but had to pick it up as we boarded the plane. The airline steward told us, they would be taken off us in Sydney and they were.

As for eating them on the plane, no problem as you are not bringing them into the country. Lol

We bought dulce de liche biscuits in Buenos Aires at the airport duty free shop.

, they were vacuum packed and sealed and confiscated in Sydney as a milk product. Apparently when they are sold the airline is notified and you are targeted as you go through customs.

What do you mean by "targeted"? Where in the airport did that occur? Surely you would have ticked the "yes" box on the customs form and proactively produced them to Australian customs at the quarantine checkpoint, and asked them there whether or not these were allowed?

I routinely bring food etc into Australia (always cooked commercially-produced stuff), and have never yet had anything confiscated. In fact, declaring it sometimes gets me a bypass past the quarantine scanning machine without even having to show the food.

wow..I love all these suggestions..thank you so much for giving me this quick lesson in possible treats to find and purchase! I guess one lesson that I've learned regarding food and travel..declare..declare..declare..I was told by a customs agent once..in this case I had forgotten all about an orange that I had left in my carry on bag...it's not that you can't bring it into the country..it's that we want to know about it so that we can stop you..just in case we need to..and that made so much sense to me. After all the normal traveller really doesn't know anything about possible dangers of bringing things in and how it might impact on things..

As a former Customs Officer of over 20 years, I have never heard of such a situation. I wish the airline staff were as proactive when it comes to drug smuggling! Next time, just eat them :D

I think it's a fantastic way to explore a country too. So for NZ, definitely Whittakers chocolate - you can get some uniquely NZ flavours if you get to the full range in a supermarket. Hokey Pokey (aka honeycomb in the UK) is common here, in ice-cream and chocolate. For reasons unexplained, New Zealanders are big on marshmallow, so see if you can pick up some marshmallow easter eggs, 'chocolate fish' or Buzz Bars. New Zealand manuka honey is much sought after, but you'll need to check if you're allowed to take that back home - the Australians will not let it across their borders. Definitely wine, if that's your thing, which is available in supermarkets here. 42 Below vodka includes a Feijoa flavour, which is a bit like a guava - pour over soda or sparkling water, add a slice of cucumber and you've got a Falling Water cocktail which is heaven on a hot day.