Ha Long Bay stay over night

shipsmail

we are considering a cruise SIN to HKG next year. It includes a stay overnight at Ha Long Bay. Will the ship stay in the bay and tender ashore? Would it be possible to arrange private excursions from there? Where will the tenders go ashore? Thank you for your help.

Probably a good idea to post in the Asia ports section on cruise critic. I'm fairly sure you won't be moving once anchor is dropped and tender is used. That's what I'm expecting when we are there overnight at the begining of April.

As for tours, yes you certainly can book independently and I've seen a few recommendations within that section. Certainly if you were to hire a vehicle and driver for the day it would be very .much cheaper than through silversea.

We've just booked the freebie Junk cruise on both days. The thought of a 4 hour each direction to Hanoi isn't very appealing. I'd quite fancy the kayaks excursion to nearby caves, but the other half wouldn't be keen on that.

Which cruise are you looking at?

we are considering a cruise SIN to HKG next year. It includes a stay overnight at Ha Long Bay. Will the ship stay in the bay and tender ashore? Would it be possible to arrange private excursions from there? Where will the tenders go ashore? Thank you for your help.

As les37b states, if you plan on visiting Hanoi ( which is well worth visiting) it is approximately a 4 hour drive on mostly secondary roads. Be wary about selection of a private tour or car in terms of the type of vehicle that will be used. Be sure to confirm the type of vehicle. We booked a “luxury” private tour back and forth (Ha Long/Hanoi) and the vehicle provided was a utility van with rock hard bench seats and no shock absorbers. It made for a miserable and painful ride.

It probably will be the Christmas cruise with Family (7 People).

Probably a good idea to post in the Asia ports section on cruise critic. I'm fairly sure you won't be moving once anchor is dropped and tender is used. That's what I'm expecting when we are there overnight at the begining of April.

As for tours, yes you certainly can book independently and I've seen a few recommendations within that section. Certainly if you were to hire a vehicle and driver for the day it would be very .much cheaper than through silversea.

We've just booked the freebie Junk cruise on both days. The thought of a 4 hour each direction to Hanoi isn't very appealing. I'd quite fancy the kayaks excursion to nearby caves, but the other half wouldn't be keen on that.

Which cruise are you looking at?

• 1 month later...