tui hand luggage weight

philipsw285

i'm of to Barbados in a couple of weeks is having a weight limit on the hand luggage a new thing as I've never flown long haul or charter before would normally fly to spain (easy jet BA ) or sail from Southampton.

do they check hand luggage weight?

I put my laptop and tablet in the rucksack I would normally use and it was already 4kg I would like to get a change of clothes in there as well just in case luggage goes missing....(always the optimist)

if they weigh it do they check at the plane again as i'll be buying duty free in the airport...

Weighing the hand luggage is a bit of a lottery in my experience, sometimes yes and sometimes not although I think it fair to say they have become rather more strict in recent times. Personally I wouldn't take the risk.

But I take your point that it's easy with a laptop, readers, change of clothes etc to quickly exceed the limit. We have invested in very lightweight rucksacks which weigh very very little. Granted they don't offer much protection to the contents as they're just fabric without any padding but at least we gained more than another couple of Kg to pack. I think one of our rugged rucksacks weighed almost 3Kg empty!

The link below shows you the kind of thing - not expensive and only weighs 0.25Kg. Might not be your choice but will give you an idea. We also find it useful for taking stuff to the beach.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liveasy-Lightweight-Foldable-Waterproof-Travelling/dp/B01IDW33CS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1518512972&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=lightweight+rucksack&psc=1

They don't weigh again once you're through security so you can buy items in duty-free without bothering about your hand luggage allowance but if you're buying alcohol to drink during your cruise just take the new restrictions about the amount you can take on board into account.

There has always been a weight limit on hand luggage for both short and long haul flights with the standard holiday company flights like Thomson and TC (higher allowance for premium normally). That was in place before the restrictions on liquids becasuse of terrorist risks.

As previously said actually weighing the items was not always done, but in our experience it has been done at check in in recent years and sometimes at the gate. You can use pockets for some things and get away with some extra.

Most, if not all, other flights still have a max luggage weight, but many schedule flights have much larger allowances (perhaps 10 kg), so it is not really an issue that anyone is bothered about.

I was wondering the same thing. My camera rucksack is well undersize but with camera, iPad and other bits it comes in at 6kg. I’m going to have put some heavy things in my pocket!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would suggest you'll get away with that especially considering the size. Some people try and take on almost full size cases.

I would suggest you'll get away with that especially considering the size. Some people try and take on almost full size cases.

In my situation it was because I had a handbag and a carry on I think and they seemed quite strict in that respect - unlike BA for example

In my situation it was because I had a handbag and a carry on I think and they seemed quite strict in that respect - unlike BA for example

going with my mum already checked the hand bag situation it has to go in to the hand luggage according to tui website.

thanks for the rucksack from amazon had one from home bargains which came in at just under a 1kg so that is a better option.

Thanks. I’ll give it some thought. If they weigh everything then I’ll get caught out but I can pop the heaviest lens in my pocket which will help. I’m used to Southampton round trips where I don’t have to worry.