Dairy & soya free

manonabike

We've been on P&O several times but this year we will have our 2yr with us and he's currently intolerant to dairy and soya.

Does anyone have any experience of this onboard? Currently he has oat milk but soya seems to be in everything.

Thanks in advance to the knowledgable collective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've been on P&O several times but this year we will have our 2yr with us and he's currently intolerant to dairy and soya.

Does anyone have any experience of this onboard? Currently he has oat milk but soya seems to be in everything.

Thanks in advance to the knowledgable collective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Presumably you are better off contacting P&O directly (or your agent if you have booked through an agent). They will obviously need to be told about your child’s special dietary requirement anyway and should be able to give you the information you need to set you mind at rest.

Hi we have recently been on Britannia with our 3 yr old who has the same intolerance's.

Im happy to answer any questions you might have.

We took our own oat milk but they did have almond milk available.

We took lots of our own snacks too.

In your cabin when you arrive will be an invitation to meet the chefs at a meeting the next morning and they will discuss your requirements with you then.

I definitely agree with you about Soya, It really is in everything that is "dairy Free"

Hi we have recently been on Britannia with our 3 yr old who has the same intolerance's.

Im happy to answer any questions you might have.

We took our own oat milk but they did have almond milk available.

We took lots of our own snacks too.

In your cabin when you arrive will be an invitation to meet the chefs at a meeting the next morning and they will discuss your requirements with you then.

I definitely agree with you about Soya, It really is in everything that is "dairy Free"

Were they able to provide much choice? Also my fear is mistakes since we have known standard food to be served as ‘special diet’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were they able to provide much choice? Also my fear is mistakes since we have known standard food to be served as ‘special diet’.

Annoying as it is for those who get it right I do double check everything, this is because every cruise I go on a mistake is made (egg intolerant).

All the advice so far is good. I would also add that if you can get into club/fixed dining it may be better. Technically you shouldn’t have issues as the diet manager pre-orders the day before, but in Freedom when you have different waiters every night on auto-pilot you get given standard bread rolls then when you explain it takes them ages to get special ones. On fixed dining they will quickly get used to your requirements.

The protocol is that you make yourself aware to the restaurant manager the first night and after that they take a ore order for the next day for you. Same with speciality restaurants.

The buffet is a bit more tricky but you will be able to find things to eat or pre order for the main dining room lunch.

I think you will be fine if you just keep your wits about you. I got served a dessert and knew it must have egg as soon as I saw it but it took them being asked three times before they acknowledged I was right.

Have a wonderful time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We found the main dinning room Great, the head waiter took orders the night before. There is a children's menu which they will adapt but I sometimes just asked for something else and they always tried to make it like a small piece of cod and mash.

They even aranged pancakes for the next morning to be made.

The buffet was more difficult, there was some confusion between dairy free and lactose free and the dairy free margarine was soya. If you are sailing from near home I would definitely take your usual margarine.

We found the main dinning room Great, the head waiter took orders the night before. There is a children's menu which they will adapt but I sometimes just asked for something else and they always tried to make it like a small piece of cod and mash.

They even aranged pancakes for the next morning to be made.

The buffet was more difficult, there was some confusion between dairy free and lactose free and the dairy free margarine was soya. If you are sailing from near home I would definitely take your usual margarine.

That’s a really good idea about the margarine. We often find that people are unaware of soya as an ingredient.

Do you know if they have suitable yoghurts on board? It’s something our lo loves.

I didn't see anything other than normal yoghurt, but to be honest I have never found any that my lo likes.

What brand do you use?

He likes Koko dairy free yoghurt. Thankfully he loves fresh fruit so that’ll be a staple.