Compulsory gratuities

hollyjess

I think on balance I would like to see it added to the fare as it makes it fairer that everyone pays, but the danger is that if a compulsory service charge is added to the fare it gives the staff no incentive to do anything beyond what they need to. Then if P&O use the mark given in the questionaire to withhold/reduce the payment to them, what happens to the money we paid.

Marella have included tips in the fare for years and their crews are equally efficient and friendly so it makes no difference.

On P&O the auto gratuities are taken off at the start of your cruise, probably on the second day. As far as I know, as I haven't done it, when you remove the auto grats they still take off the amount for the days you have already been onboard.
Not on RCI - a couple of years ago we took off the grats in the middle of the cruise. We were going to Speciality restaurants every night and decided that portion of tips should go there. The entire amount was refunded to our account.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Not on RCI - a couple of years ago we took off the grats in the middle of the cruise. We were going to Speciality restaurants every night and decided that portion of tips should go there. The entire amount was refunded to our account.

Exactly the same on P&O...

I didn't say it wasn't mentioned on the website if you go looking for it.

What I said was you could go through the complete booking process with no hint that an additional optional charge will be added to your cabin bill.

If you can tell me where you see mention of it in the booking process, please do.

Other Carnival brands do specifically advise customers of the charge in the booking process, but for some reason P&O do not.

Cunard and Princess don't mention gratuities anywhere in the booking process so it's most unhelpful to imply that P&O are unique in that respect. Perhaps you could name the Carnival brands which do mention grats to save time.

Why would you care?

Well I would have thought that was obvious,surely if people are thinking they are being charged too much for the tips at present when they can find out exactly how much they are being charged,how will they know how much they are being charged when it is included/hidden in the fare,in other words what is to stop them being charged even more than now?

Maybe I am missing something here but if the tips were to be included in the fare price how would we know how much was being charged?

Tips or gratuities on P&O are a service charge and make up part of the crews wages. If those charges were included in the fare why would we need to know what they are, after all we can't remove them and they are not itemised.

My other cruise line Marella have included tips in the fare for many years. They are not itemised and you can't find out what they would be if they existed at all!. The crews are at least as happy and efficient as P&O crews so they must be getting a satisfactory wage. Of course if you want to give a cash tip as a reward for exceptional service that is OK and the crew member gets to keep it, so tipping on Marella is 'proper' tipping and the crew certainly don't expect it.

Well I would have thought that was obvious,surely if people are thinking they are being charged too much for the tips at present when they can find out exactly how much they are being charged,how will they know how much they are being charged when it is included/hidden in the fare,in other words what is to stop them being charged even more than now?

Nothing to stop them being charged even more but as it is included in the fare it does not exist as as a tip. If you think the total price for the cruise is too high other cruise lines are available.

Nothing to stop them being charged even more but as it is included in the fare it does not exist as as a tip. If you think the total price for the cruise is too high other cruise lines are available.

Or shopped around TAs to get a cheaper price.

I have wished for a long time that P&O would include the gratuities in with the price of the cruise. I do agree with insanemagnet they will never do it. They prefer to sell cheap cruises to some people and allow those of us who pay the gratuities to subsidise those who don't.

I didn't say it wasn't mentioned on the website if you go looking for it.

What I said was you could go through the complete booking process with no hint that an additional optional charge will be added to your cabin bill.

If you can tell me where you see mention of it in the booking process, please do.

Other Carnival brands do specifically advise customers of the charge in the booking process, but for some reason P&O do not.

Thank you for clarifying that you meant solely in the booking process. Imho, people do not research their holidays enough before booking. Before I booked a cruise for the first time, I read the brochure cover to cover to make sure I understood what I was getting.

I have wished for a long time that P&O would include the gratuities in with the price of the cruise. I do agree with insanemagnet they will never do it. They prefer to sell cheap cruises to some people and allow those of us who pay the gratuities to subsidise those who don't.

Ahhhh, bless

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OK so people don't care how much they are charged for the tipping when the figure is hidden in the cruise price but do seem bothered when the amount is known & can be changed,sorry but I do find that a strange concept.

I understand that people are unhappy that some get away with paying nothing but the cynical side of me tells me that if it is hidden in the cost of the cruise it gives the cruise company a free rein to charge whatever they like as long as people are prepared to pay the asking price.

Thank you for clarifying that you meant solely in the booking process. Imho, people do not research their holidays enough before booking. Before I booked a cruise for the first time, I read the brochure cover to cover to make sure I understood what I was getting.

Absolutely that's exactly what I did. Which is why I've never had to ask a myriad of questions on a forum about cruising.

OK so people don't care how much they are charged for the tipping when the figure is hidden in the cruise price but do seem bothered when the amount is known & can be changed,sorry but I do find that a strange concept.

I understand that people are unhappy that some get away with paying nothing but the cynical side of me tells me that if it is hidden in the cost of the cruise it gives the cruise company a free rein to charge whatever they like as long as people are prepared to pay the asking price.

Thats true but if that happens we will be back to being left a stack of envelopes for the last night to reward crew who have supposedly gone over and above in service.

some get away with paying nothing.

It is a completely optional charge. Passengers who choose not to pay it are not getting away with anything.

Personally I just pay it or not pay it. I do it understand why people get so concerned about it other people pay it.

Best wishes, Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Forums