Gouda Cheese Aruba, Bonaire or Curacao

juanotero79

Hello,

I tried to do research on this subject in old threads, but they are more than a year old, so I would like to know a more current version of prices for Gouda cheese in any of the islands of Aruba, Bonaire, or Curacao. I am traveling on the HAL Koningsdam in three weeks and I am planning on buying a wheel of Gouda cheese to bring back home. The last time I bought one there was more than 5 years ago and they ran about $25. Does anyone have an idea how much they are now and where to buy the wheel of cheese? I am also wondering in which of the three ports it will be cheaper. Thanks! ;p

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just bought out 2 packs of 3 small wheels each on our stop in Curacao last week. They are $25 for a 3-pack (Cumin, Garlic Herb, and Black Pepper). This is our second time buying the 3-pack so we knew we liked those flavors already. They did have bigger wheels - maybe around $30 - but we weren't looking for that this time.

There are 2 or 3 shops as soon as you walk over the concrete bridge from the ship. We hoofed it to downtown shopping area to see if we could find anything else, and we couldn't. We ended buying our cheese at the little stops within the port area.

• 2 months later...
We just bought out 2 packs of 3 small wheels each on our stop in Curacao last week. They are $25 for a 3-pack (Cumin, Garlic Herb, and Black Pepper). This is our second time buying the 3-pack so we knew we liked those flavors already. They did have bigger wheels - maybe around $30 - but we weren't looking for that this time.

There are 2 or 3 shops as soon as you walk over the concrete bridge from the ship. We hoofed it to downtown shopping area to see if we could find anything else, and we couldn't. We ended buying our cheese at the little stops within the port area.

We have bought from the little cheese store and the Cheesery in the fort.

Also found the same gouda cheese that I lugged from Curacao and St Marten, in Trader Joe's a couple of times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
09452a0e9af93bde27268782dce6cd8e.jpg

3be5c1137bec3dc6ea9564165446e04a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On Sunday morning, Oct 15, 2017 we bought a Gouda cheese wheel that looks like the one pictured in Aruba. We found it in the Welcome to Aruba shops right at the dock! - no searching for a supermarket at all. Our wheel is 3.5 kg (7.7 lbs) and the cost was $36. There was no problem at US customs in San Francisco as we returned this past Friday - no forms or questions were asked as we carried the wheel off the ship.

• 2 months later...
I wonder if you could get them to hold it for you somewhere? I am not sure I can trust myself with that in the cabin, it might not make it back to Miami!

lol That's kinda what I thought. Maybe folks like us should buy additional smaller portions to use on the cruise! ha

• 4 weeks later...
Another "might be a ridiculous question" but - this is not an item they confiscate upon return to the ship? i.e. Alcohol

Sorry, should have worded that better.

Can you carry it on, or do they store it for you until the end of the cruise and then give it back, much like booze?

(I can't see any reason they would, but you never know these days)

I always purchase the big wheel of cheese. Have done at St Maarten and Curacao. I love to top my pasta with these cheese.

One time my bag was overweight so i put it on my carry on, no problems at security they only ask what is this , oh it's OK

C_Santas_Gouda-Medium.jpg

I always purchase the big wheel of cheese. Have done at St Maarten and Curacao. I love to top my pasta with these cheese.

One time my bag was overweight so i put it on my carry on, no problems at security they only ask what is this , oh it's OK

C_Santas_Gouda-Medium.jpg

What kind and where from do you recommend on St. Maarten? Never thought of it as a cheese destination.

I bring home a wheel of Gouda from St. Maarten every time I pass through. You can get them at either shop right off the ships as the previous poster stated or on one or two shops at the beginning of Front St. near the Yoda Guy place. If you're looking for the whole wheel, you will not find it any cheaper in town than by the ships and then you'd have to haul it back all the way instead of just a bit more than the length of the pier. In town you can buy it in smaller pieces but I don't recall seeing it cut into pieces at the dock. Just two sizes of wheels, just a couple of lbs. difference one from the other.

Hello,

I tried to do research on this subject in old threads, but they are more than a year old, so I would like to know a more current version of prices for Gouda cheese in any of the islands of Aruba, Bonaire, or Curacao. I am traveling on the HAL Koningsdam in three weeks and I am planning on buying a wheel of Gouda cheese to bring back home. The last time I bought one there was more than 5 years ago and they ran about $25. Does anyone have an idea how much they are now and where to buy the wheel of cheese? I am also wondering in which of the three ports it will be cheaper. Thanks! ;p

Curacao had been my go to, and St Marten, till I discovered the SAME couple of brands at my local Trader Joe's. They carry it 90% of the time. (Old Amsterdam and the "rooster" one...forgot the name..rooster one I have also seen at Wegman's from time to time).

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking forward to purchasing in Aruba. I was curious as to if it was a good deal and so I bought a small one yesterday at Aldis. I paid $4 for 8 oz. The 7.7 lbs for $38 makes it $5 a lbs. definitely a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums