Wine by the glass reviews

FredGold

I do not feel my opinion is short sited There old list had many more choices in the 15$ and under selection

the new list does not They have one Cabernet could you imagine if they only had one vodka or scotch

To chose from on the Udp

They didn’t really change the liquor choice in the new list but did short change the wine choices in the new list in a package that costs 747 $ per person for the week

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IF... you're not a wine snob, their own North/South Red Blend is quite good, and the Meridien Chardonnay has always been one of my favorites from California.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't consider myself that much of a wine snob (I am currently drinking a $12 per bottle H3) and while I would agree that North/South is the best red wine they now currently offered I don't agree that it is quite good :).

I also agree that Meridian isn't bad for a $7 per bottle Chardonnay.

But I think NCL could do a little better with their purchasing power. I am sure they cut the selections when they started giving away UBP to pretty much everyone but they could offer some better wines and charge $19.95 per glass and let those whom choose to do so pay the difference (like they do with Liquor).

They really don’t give the udp away the weeks that have that promotion the price of the ticket goes up

they also charge you additional 20% for gratuity on “free” promo other line don’t

all I am saying is that last years wine list was much better for choices

that did made some changes in the liquor list but They still kept an extensive list of Choices with high end choices like grey goose ,patron ,Johnnie walker

I think they could manage to do much better in the wine list like previously did

They really don’t give the udp away the weeks that have that promotion the price of the ticket goes up

they also charge you additional 20% for gratuity on “free” promo other line don’t

all I am saying is that last years wine list was much better for choices

that did made some changes in the liquor list but They still kept an extensive list of Choices with high end choices like grey goose ,patron ,Johnnie walker

I think they could manage to do much better in the wine list like previously did

At least with liquor if you want something high end you can pay the difference but with wine it looks like that not only is no currently available glass even close to the $15 limit you can't even pay the difference for anything higher end (since those are only available by the bottle).

The reason they did this was because wine, per volume, is more expensive and less consumed. Wine just cannot and probably will never compete on a commercial "Big 4" cruise line. If you believe that NCL's wine choice is poor, do I have a bridge to sell you in RCCL and Carnival! Think Layer Cake and Chateau de Michelle :confused: Even though RCCL allows for 2 free bottles and Carnival 1, this still doesn't make a switch worth it.

If you were to get the drink package, I do suggest you book NCL ships that have a Robert Mondavi's "The Cellars" as there is a larger selection of wine sold by the glass. Otherwise, book the "Sail Away" rate and sign up for the Vino Vino package which would be very competitive pricing for a wine-exclusive drinker as you would not be paying for the room-specific cost and service charge of the promo.

While I do agree with you in theory and agree they should have at least 2-3 wines per varietal, I can see where this may be another way to cut a less utilized costs. Otherwise, it may be time for you to pay the piper and head to Regents and/or Oceania.

Yes you can pay extra for liquor but they do provide some good choices under that 15 $ mark

Premimum brands as I previously said no need to pay extra

They use to give you more choices on the old list

The plan gives you up to 15 $ per glass I feel they should have wines that retail in the 12 -17!$ a bottle range to justify 15 a glass like they previously did

And yes I am thinking of jumping lines to celebrity where there was more choices I don’t need to go to regent yet

Yes I may be beating a dead horse but ncl does read these boards and want to let them know why i may not be coming back

Absolutely; and I totally agree with you.

I just know that when a business; or say, even a restaurant wants to cut cost, the wine is the first to go.

Celebrity is good, especially the entertainment, but the nightlife is lacking per my opinion (Along with their owners, RCCL). Plus, you are going to pay ~300-500 more per person. With that money you would spend with them, why not just bring your own bottles or participate in the Vino Vino program.

I would try something new and book Celebrity and see how you like it.

A few years ago, I had my first experience with the UBP on the Breakaway to Bermuda. We had a great cruise and I really enjoyed the wines by the glass. I would usually get Oberon Cabernet Sauvignon and Sauvignon Blanc and pay the $1.20 extra. But lots if good choices.

I liked that cruise so much, I went on the inaugural year sailing of the Escape 6 months later, also with UBP. I was really looking forward to the wine bar on the the ship having seen the menu from the transatlantic with at least 30 wines by the glass, most under the UBP limit.

I was very disappointed to board and find out that the same 8 wines (as already posted here as list #2), were the only wines you could get by the glass at every bar and restaurant. Even the wine bar! With it's sophisticated nitrogen system not really being used. It was the quietest venue on the ship. I would go there to get a beer since they always had nothing to do. I'm sure this change had to do with the prevalence of the UBP but kind of left a bad taste in my mouth (both literally and figuratively).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I agree with all of the posters saying there should be more expensive options, even if it means paying the difference. They could have $20-$30 bottles and charge $20 per glass even- we "wine snobs" would pay the UBP difference, and they would still benefit.

Hello there! I was on the Escape last year (03/2017) and they still had the ~30 wines at the RM wine bar. Are you sure they have moved only to the ~8 since then? Thank you for your help:)
We were on Escape in March 2016. If they have fixed the menu at the wine bar, then that is indeed good news.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I will be on the Dawn on March 4th so we shall see. I do believe the ships with a RM (Dawn, Escape, and Bliss) have a different wine contract allowing for more wines for consumption by the glass in that bar. I am happy to report back if someone doesn't before me.

We were very content on the Escape in 2017 between the RM and District, along with Sugarcanes and the 5 O'Clock. We thought we were in heaven :halo:

• 1 month later...