All IN FIGHTING ! No Thanks

sidari

I have lots of Carnival cruises under my belt. I was interested when I saw this story on the news because it was onboard Legend which was our favorite Carnival ship. Sailed from Tampa (great sail away under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge) and did four great ports for snorkeling. Never saw anything like that behavior. Will still keep my very fond memories.

Should add I’m Diamond with Royal, Elite + with Celebrity and have sailed Yacht Club many times. For the demographic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Better dressed, btw, is subjective. You don't have to have lots of money to be better dressed. You could be wearing a nice pair of khakis and a decent polo shirt - or even a plain colored t-shirt - (along with being freshly showered, your hair combed and teeth brushed) and be better dressed than many people these days in a land-based restaurant. Heck, you could buy an outfit like that at Old Navy for the love of God. lol.

To me it's more about taking some pride in your appearance than wearing expensive clothes. i.e. when I see people walk into the dining room on Escape wearing dirty t-shirts, worn high tops, and backward baseball caps for instance. I saw that on RCL way back too.

To me, I get frustrated because I preach to my kids that while appearances aren't everything, the way people will treat you - and respect you - will inevitably at least partially be based on this. So while I understand people should be able to do what they want based upon the rules, I also cringe for their sake and because my kids will say, see, I don't need to get so dressed up. Makes it harder as a parent to help them understand the importance of your physical appearance as a part, but an important part, of succeeding in life.

Very well said! When I see some dressed as you've described, my first thought is "slob"!

Some people say they don't want to use their valuable vacation time "dressing up" (for dinner, say). How much time does it take to replace a t-shirt with a collared shirt, for goodness sake?! It seems to me to be an act of defiance in some cases.

Hi--we saw something similar on a Princess cruise involving a young "lady" from Australia she would argue and pose a threat to anyone on board, she just seemed very agressive . She tried to pick an argument with an elderly gent on a tour bus in N Zealand saying he had leaned back in his seat and trapped her hand! There was a ratio of 40% Australians 40% from USA and the rest of us, one night in the theatre the Canadian Cruise Director came on stage wearing a "hard hat" saying he was prepared for the events that might follow after an altercation in the elevators involving the said young lady.

Remember ... You never get a Second chance to make a First Impression ... :cool:

Nunogoras .... Chopping down the Orchard due to a few bad apples is never the answer, once this kind of behaviour is noted the people involved need to be spoken to by the Captain and Security and told in no uncertain terms that they will be put off the ship at the next port of call or if that is not an option the next nearest port if they continue.

There have been two instances of ships now sailing from Australia in the past week where this has happened, the issue appears to be the people involved.

Edited by sidari

There have been two instances of ships now sailing from Australia in the past week where this has happened, the issue appears to be the people involved.

I totally agree. This is why this thread is very strange to me. I do not understand why we are talking about Americans vs Europeans? This was clearly an issue in Australia. Even though Carnival is an American company, I seriously doubt they had many Americans on board. One comment here is referring to how MSC's "international" crowd would be different. First, I don't know what international means, unless this is a euphemism for European. If so, just say European. I'm from America, so to me, this was an "international" crowd. Even so, I don't indict all Australians as less classy. And I also don't agree that any one area is classier than another. When you are operating at a certain price point, you will get a certain clientele. And maybe a wealthier clientele will be less likely break out into a fist fight but they can also be some of the rudest people on the planet. I wouldn't consider that classier. I can only speak from personal experience and I haven't cruised as much as some here. But cruising has surprised me and altered my opinions on many groups of people. America is diverse and we all don't think alike but I will say the friendliest cruise I have ever been on was a RCCL cruise out of Texas where the passengers were predominately Texans and Mexicans. I point it out because I was expecting not to like it. Probably, the rudest cruise I have been on was another RCCL cruise where a lot of the passengers (and crew) were European. Again, not what I was expecting.

I'm looking forward to my first MSC cruise. Mainly because it will be different, not better or classier. And, I will sail Carnival again. Well, maybe not out of Australia. :)

I'm looking forward to my first MSC cruise. Mainly because it will be different, not better or classier. And, I will sail Carnival again. Well, maybe not out of Australia. :)

You will find out what is meant by an international passenger base when you cruise.

MSC's policy is to market a certain percentage of each cruise in various world markets (North American, Australia, Central and South America, Asia, Europe).

Therefore,on each cruise you will find people from all over the world as passengers.

I don't remember the exact number I was given for cruises out of the USA, but it was somewhere around 30 - 40% of the passengers will be the North American market.

This means you will heard multiple languages on board and the buffet will have food stations that have items geared to some of the different passenger cultures on board. It is a great chance to try something new.

If you want to also experience a different approach to some on board games, try the games (Trivia, Majority Rules, etc) that are geared for all the differnt languages on board.

In other words, you are leaving home (both wherever you live and Carnival), be prepared for things to not be like home.

Remember ... You never get a Second chance to make a First Impression ... :cool:

Nunogoras .... Chopping down the Orchard due to a few bad apples is never the answer, once this kind of behaviour is noted the people involved need to be spoken to by the Captain and Security and told in no uncertain terms that they will be put off the ship at the next port of call or if that is not an option the next nearest port if they continue.

Thank you very much for the kind words, Sid! But the problem is too much larger than just a few bad apples here or there. Of course there are bad apples everywhere and businesses like the cruising industry must be prepared for that... But... To be humble and honest I don't need too much effort on reading those boards to find that rudeness of passengers is becoming extremely prevalent these days... Let us just to read even here on the MSC ones, only... Or even on the other mainline cruise lines also... And believe me or not: Insane alcohol consumption do have a strong part of it, lately. Personally I have endured one of those situations during a cruise on the Baltic Sea, coincidentally an MSC one, even more coincidentally one where they did a full crew rotation in preparation to the new repositioning and cruise time... It was due to an extremely abusive Russian crowd aboard. I didn't do a review of that particular cruise... But indeed once it was my fourth cruise with MSC I quite immediately recognised that that was NOT a regular MSC sailing... And to be humble and honest the Captain has resolved the situation quite well once we see it from four years later. But at that time: Was it great to see all the ship, including guest services to close at exactly 11PM each evening? No it wasn't! And was it OK to see those extreme restrictions that they imposed for everyone else past say 9PM? Certainly not! And the alcoholic part of drinks packages revoked for everyone in that particular sailing (it didn't affect me but I heard that it affected others)? Certainly not! I remain quite skeptical on this subject... Maybe: It is just the cruise industry being victim of its own success... But something will need to be done. On that I have no doubt! For the well being of everyone else!...

Have a nice day!... And a nicer Sunday!...

I'm just going to say - this family was from melbourne. And there were no alcohol packages available according to some people on the CCL boards. So, this isn't an "american vs international" problem, and it isn't an alcohol package related problem. Some people are just aggressive no matter what. Everywhere I've lived, and I've lived in more than a couple different countries, there are people like this. Not just here in the USA.

You will find out what is meant by an international passenger base when you cruise.

MSC's policy is to market a certain percentage of each cruise in various world markets (North American, Australia, Central and South America, Asia, Europe).

Therefore,on each cruise you will find people from all over the world as passengers.

I don't remember the exact number I was given for cruises out of the USA, but it was somewhere around 30 - 40% of the passengers will be the North American market.

This means you will heard multiple languages on board and the buffet will have food stations that have items geared to some of the different passenger cultures on board. It is a great chance to try something new.

If you want to also experience a different approach to some on board games, try the games (Trivia, Majority Rules, etc) that are geared for all the differnt languages on board.

In other words, you are leaving home (both wherever you live and Carnival), be prepared for things to not be like home.

I understand what MSC is trying to do in its marketing and that there will be a good mixture of cultures. What I don't understand is why anyone believes that because of this, MSC is immune to this behavior. Does anyone know what the mixture was on the Carnival cruise?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Forums mobile app

I understand what MSC is trying to do in its marketing and that there will be a good mixture of cultures. What I don't understand is why anyone believes that because of this, MSC is immune to this behavior. Does anyone know what the mixture was on the Carnival cruise?

Wow must be a tough day on the Carnival board for you to venture over to the dark side. May the force be with you [emoji33]

Wow must be a tough day on the Carnival board for you to venture over to the dark side. May the force be with you [emoji33]

Well, seeing that I don't spend any time on the Carnival board, I'm not sure what's your point. My comment had more to do with the idea that the nationalities on board had something to do this. It had little to do with the cruise line.

Of course jerks may board on any line. However, each cruise line has its corporate on board experience that it uses to attract its target market. Example, Carnival is the Fun" ship with low prices. In comparison, HAL offers a more laid back experience and its entertainment on board is more a quiet cerebral type (ie, classical music venture , bridge (although no longer with a bridge director), etc.

How many drunken brawls break out with a group at a classical music recital?

MSC is very family oriented (I know Carnival claims to be the same) but its idea of family is to provide an atmosphere where extended family groups or other groups can relax and enjoy themselves. This includes the idea of long dinners where one relaxes and enjoys the company and the meal (the idea of such a meal horrifies the gobble and go crowd). Yes, there are unlimited drink packages on MSC, but it is not a two fisted drinking clientele.

Until you cruise MSC (or HAL, Princess, Celebrity), you may not understand the idea of cruise lines' different cruising experiences and the expectations of those who are repeat cruisers on each line.

Of course jerks may board on any line. However, each cruise line has its corporate on board experience that it uses to attract its target market. Example, Carnival is the Fun" ship with low prices. In comparison, HAL offers a more laid back experience and its entertainment on board is more a quiet cerebral type (ie, classical music venture , bridge (although no longer with a bridge director), etc.

How many drunken brawls break out with a group at a classical music recital?

MSC is very family oriented (I know Carnival claims to be the same) but its idea of family is to provide an atmosphere where extended family groups or other groups can relax and enjoy themselves. This includes the idea of long dinners where one relaxes and enjoys the company and the meal (the idea of such a meal horrifies the gobble and go crowd). Yes, there are unlimited drink packages on MSC, but it is not a two fisted drinking clientele.

Until you cruise MSC (or HAL, Princess, Celebrity), you may not understand the idea of cruise lines' different cruising experiences and the expectations of those who are repeat cruisers on each line.

I agree with you that jerks can can board any line and I don't think our opinions are that different. Like I said, I'm looking forward to MSC. But, to correct one point, I have sailed Princess before (and know many who have sailed HAL and Celebrity) and I understand the experience. The big difference, in my opinion, is the crowd being older, so I guess that will contribute to this situation likely not happening.

But I don't know if you are aware, in North America (I don't know if this is the same in Europe), MSC is undercutting even Carnival's pricing. So, if we are equating low prices to the clientele, this is more likely to happen on MSC than on say Royal Caribbean, which is significantly more money for a comparable ship. I will try not to make statements about MSC since I haven't sailed yet. But, from everything I'm reading, you can't compare it to HAL, Princess, or Celebrity. I know what I paid for my cruise and I'm not expecting it to be on par with other lines that are significantly more money. I think that is the mistake some people are making.

But I don't know if you are aware, in North America (I don't know if this is the same in Europe), MSC is undercutting even Carnival's pricing.

MSC certainly do offer bargain, last-minute prices for their Med cruises to a very select number of countries, namely, Germany and Italy, due to their proximity to/or convenient access to, the ports in both/either countries. The same is possible for Spain and France, where they can embark at Barcelona and Marseilles, respectively. And, maybe to the UK on sailings out of Southampton. Unfortunately, most of the rest of Europe don't get these bargain-basement prices. I'm assuming that MSC doesn't think it's worth it to market them anywhere else as flight prices close to sailing dates would negate the savings made.

I agree with you that jerks can can board any line and I don't think our opinions are that different. Like I said, I'm looking forward to MSC. But, to correct one point, I have sailed Princess before (and know many who have sailed HAL and Celebrity) and I understand the experience. The big difference, in my opinion, is the crowd being older, so I guess that will contribute to this situation likely not happening.

But I don't know if you are aware, in North America (I don't know if this is the same in Europe), MSC is undercutting even Carnival's pricing. So, if we are equating low prices to the clientele, this is more likely to happen on MSC than on say Royal Caribbean, which is significantly more money for a comparable ship. I will try not to make statements about MSC since I haven't sailed yet. But, from everything I'm reading, you can't compare it to HAL, Princess, or Celebrity. I know what I paid for my cruise and I'm not expecting it to be on par with other lines that are significantly more money. I think that is the mistake some people are making.

Since I started cruising HAL, Princess (then known as Sitmar), and Celebrity (then known as Chandris) in my twenties, I don't perceive those lines as older clientele (even though I can now fit in that category). Depending on time of year and iternary, all three of those lines can have children (families) and young adults on board. My daughter who is now in her early thirties and started cruising with us as a child, enjoys all three of the lines (also MSC).

No, I don't know about MSC prices in comparison to Carnival's prices. After my Carnival cruise line experiences, I never check their prices or would consider them for a cruise. LOL - the thirty sonething daughter feels the same way about Carnival. Enough about Carnival. I try to only post general cruise advice on the Carnival forum. Different strokes for different folks.

In some ways, MSC was on par with my HAL, Princess and Celebrity cruises. Different in some ways, but I found the passengers' cruise expectations (and behavior) mesh more with those lines than those on my Carnival cruises.

Big problem is getting to some of the ports! even in Winter Barcelona can be a pain together to from Manchester, same with Genoa made worse now there are no Gatwick flights.

For us, Barcelona is easy-peasy and, sometimes, relatively cheap. We can't get direct flights to Genoa and it tends to be the most expensive port for us to board at - probably because MSC knows it's not an accessible port for us.

Well... what I saw on CCL I never saw on any other cruise line . No line immune to this behavior but MSc has professional Israeli security on board and I can insure you they know what they are doing .

Better dressed, btw, is subjective. You don't have to have lots of money to be better dressed. You could be wearing a nice pair of khakis and a decent polo shirt - or even a plain colored t-shirt - (along with being freshly showered, your hair combed and teeth brushed) and be better dressed than many people these days in a land-based restaurant. Heck, you could buy an outfit like that at Old Navy for the love of God. lol.

To me it's more about taking some pride in your appearance than wearing expensive clothes. i.e. when I see people walk into the dining room on Escape wearing dirty t-shirts, worn high tops, and backward baseball caps for instance. I saw that on RCL way back too.

To me, I get frustrated because I preach to my kids that while appearances aren't everything, the way people will treat you - and respect you - will inevitably at least partially be based on this. So while I understand people should be able to do what they want based upon the rules, I also cringe for their sake and because my kids will say, see, I don't need to get so dressed up. Makes it harder as a parent to help them understand the importance of your physical appearance as a part, but an important part, of succeeding in life.

As a parent i have a line-" I don't care what other people do ,we do what we think is proper "