Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:57 AM.
TomsRiver,NJ & Bonita Springs,FL USA
191 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
I've used my laptop in my home, where it "picks up" WiFi from my own coded network (don't know if I'm using the correct jargon). The laptop is cruising with me; how do I connect to the ship's WiFi?

What would I do without you, fellow cruisers?

Many thanks...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
IF YOU WANT TO SEE A RAINBOW, YOU HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THE RAIN.
Tuckerton, NJ
9 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
My experience with wifi on the Celebrity Equinox was that once I paid for my Internet (paid for unlimited) I could access the wifi and then receive a website splash screen to sign into with my account. I only had one account so I would have to sign off and allow my wife to sign in when she wanted to use iPad. My next cruise in August I have paid for 2 Internet accounts to avoid the hassle.

Rick
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rick
Celebrity Equinox: 2016
RCCL Explorer of the Seas: 2004
RCCL Song of America: 1996
Norwegian:1992:
Holland America:1978
232 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Originally posted by Llorrac
My experience with wifi on the Celebrity Equinox was that once I paid for my Internet (paid for unlimited) I could access the wifi and then receive a website splash screen to sign into with my account. I only had one account so I would have to sign off and allow my wife to sign in when she wanted to use iPad. My next cruise in August I have paid for 2 Internet accounts to avoid the hassle.

Rick
I have 2 unlimited internet perk on my next Celebrity cruise, but I am planning to bring my Hootoo Tripmate Nano to see if I could sign in from the Hootoo. It will then act as a WiFi hotspot in the cabin to connect all my devices (phones, tablets, laptops) so I don't have to keep logging in and out. It works in hotel but not sure if it will work on the ship.
Tuckerton, NJ
9 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Lostchild: My cruise in August also has the 2 Internet unlimited perks. Celebrity does state that they do not want passengers doing what you are wanting to do, but I do know from my cruise on Equinox from March 2016 that it was possible to do what you want just like in a Hotel. I am in the same situation that when I travel I bring a travel router to my hotel for an extra layer of firewall security and to allow all of my devices to talk together. Unless something has changed on board your ship I believe you will be successful. I would suggest that you hide your SSID and lower your output power to just what is needed for your cabin.

Rick
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rick
Celebrity Equinox: 2016
RCCL Explorer of the Seas: 2004
RCCL Song of America: 1996
Norwegian:1992:
Holland America:1978
232 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Originally posted by Llorrac
Lostchild: My cruise in August also has the 2 Internet unlimited perks. Celebrity does state that they do not want passengers doing what you are wanting to do, but I do know from my cruise on Equinox from March 2016 that it was possible to do what you want just like in a Hotel. I am in the same situation that when I travel I bring a travel router to my hotel for an extra layer of firewall security and to allow all of my devices to talk together. Unless something has changed on board your ship I believe you will be successful. I would suggest that you hide your SSID and lower your output power to just what is needed for your cabin.

Rick
Good idea, I will turn off the SSID broadcast. I did read someone said that some ship will look at your data stream and if they decided your data requests seem to be from different devices.. for example a mix of mobile websites and desktop websites... it will disable your account.
United States
2,687 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
A VPN will help, as then they cannot see what you are hitting as sites.

Also useful for hitting banned sites in some countries. Oman bans ALL VOIP services. VPN allows you to use them.

Another option, that I plan on using, is to hotspot from my phone to use my tablet and my friend's phone and tablet.

Same idea as a mobile hotspot, but I already have it.
United States
2,687 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by malony33
I've used my laptop in my home, where it "picks up" WiFi from my own coded network (don't know if I'm using the correct jargon). The laptop is cruising with me; how do I connect to the ship's WiFi?
Normally, places will give you instructions on connecting.

But if you are using Windows, in the lower right corner will be a Wifi icon. Click on it, and it will bring up a list of wifi networks in the area.
Pick the correct one (if you check the box that says Remember this Network, it will automatically connect every time like you have at home), and then open your browser of choice and try to go to some website. I normally just try to hit Google. This will normally take you to the log in screen.

Enter what is needed and you will be online.
california
1,721 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by malony33

What would I do without you, fellow cruisers?

Many thanks...
You will sign into the system as you use it. You will likely also need to sign out. Otherwise you will continue to use time. All of the instructions should show up on your screens. There will also be IT people to assist you on board.
Georgia
10,020 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Originally posted by SRF
A VPN will help, as then they cannot see what you are hitting as sites.
At least on Carnival, "VPN connections are not supported."
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming: 6/30/2018 ms Nieuw Amsterdam (Alaska) [Roll Call]
“Those who do not know satisfaction, even when living in a heavenly palace, are still not satisfied. Those who do not know satisfaction, even if rich, are poor. People who know satisfaction, even if poor, are rich.” ― Gautama Buddha
United States
2,687 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by bUU
At least on Carnival, "VPN connections are not supported."
Hmm, I wonder how they manage that. The Chinese government hasn't been able to stop VPNs out of the country.
Georgia
10,020 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Originally posted by lostchild
I have 2 unlimited internet perk on my next Celebrity cruise, but I am planning to bring my Hootoo Tripmate Nano to see if I could sign in from the Hootoo. It will then act as a WiFi hotspot in the cabin to connect all my devices (phones, tablets, laptops) so I don't have to keep logging in and out. It works in hotel but not sure if it will work on the ship.
It worked on Carnival Magic last week.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming: 6/30/2018 ms Nieuw Amsterdam (Alaska) [Roll Call]
“Those who do not know satisfaction, even when living in a heavenly palace, are still not satisfied. Those who do not know satisfaction, even if rich, are poor. People who know satisfaction, even if poor, are rich.” ― Gautama Buddha
Fort Erie, Canada
269 Posts
Joined May 2010
Originally posted by lostchild
Did not work on Celebrity Solstice last February. Same HooToo device. Would not even connect to the ships WiFi.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jan 30, 2019 South America Cruise Spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
United States
2,687 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Other threads mentioned that the cruise lines are getting smarter and blocking routers from logging into the wifi.