Portland ~what to do on our own?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:05 AM.
320 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
I'm going to be on Anthem of the Seas rerouted to Portland for Monday. I've never been there but it all sounds lovely. I'm thinking walking around down town and then a cab to Fort Williams. I'm used to using Uber, are those plentiful in Portland? Reasonable cost? Or is a regular cab better? Once there, is there a specific point that is good for drop off? Thanks.
Maine or at sea
13,933 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by Jasukkie
I'm going to be on Anthem of the Seas rerouted to Portland for Monday. I've never been there but it all sounds lovely. I'm thinking walking around down town and then a cab to Fort Williams. I'm used to using Uber, are those plentiful in Portland? Reasonable cost? Or is a regular cab better? Once there, is there a specific point that is good for drop off? Thanks.
Cabs and Uber are not what you might think of a "plentiful" if you come from a big city. However, I would think that the Uber/Lyft drivers would be out in force for the ships. Either or for cost. They can probably drop you right at Portland Head Light, and then request pick up there as well. As I say, the best view of Portland Head Light is from sea, so get up early and see it from the ship and save the cab ride, though Fort Williams is a nice park, and the old officer's row housing is kind of neat.
320 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Thank you. I was thinking Fort Williams as a scenic place to walk around. I'm a hiker, just like to be outside, more than city tours. We will be in port from 7am to 3pm and I am one of those people who would get nervous pushing time on the return so I figured close was better. Do you have any other suggestions that might be good? I figured we might get rerouted to Canada but hadn't thought about Portland so it's all new to me. Not a shopper either.
Maine or at sea
13,933 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by Jasukkie
Thank you. I was thinking Fort Williams as a scenic place to walk around. I'm a hiker, just like to be outside, more than city tours. We will be in port from 7am to 3pm and I am one of those people who would get nervous pushing time on the return so I figured close was better. Do you have any other suggestions that might be good? I figured we might get rerouted to Canada but hadn't thought about Portland so it's all new to me. Not a shopper either.
Another nice place to walk around, and in Portland, is the Eastern Prom. As you exit the cruise terminal, there will be the "Eastern Promenade Trail", turn right, and you walk along the waterfront for about 0.7 mile and you will reach Fort Allen Park, the start of the Eastern Prom Park. The park stretches along the waterfront for another half to three quarters of a mile, with great views towards Fort Gorgas Island (Civil War fort), and Big and Little Diamond Islands and down Casco Bay. Then loop up to the top of the park for the return walk and see many of the historic Victorian and Federal homes along the way. On the way back, stop at DuckFat, where everything is cooked in, guess what, duck fat. Their milk shakes and truffle fries are fantastic. You can even swing by Allagash brewery for tours and tastings.

I just learned about a unique tour in Portland, that I'd never knew existed. It is the Portland Fire Tour that takes you around the downtown area of Portland in an old fire engine. Their place is on Commercial Street, which is the waterfront, less than a mile the other way from the cruise terminal. It only takes 12 at a time, and lasts only 50 minutes.

Of course, the big draw lately in Portland are the restaurants. Check out some of the other Portland threads for my recommendations for lunch.
114 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
I love Fort Williams and think it's more than just a photo opportunity but I'm from there so I could be biased. The Eastern Prom is lovely and Duck Fat is very popular! If you do go out to Cape Elizabeth (where Fort Williams is... about 15-20 mins from the Port...) I'd also go to Two Lights State Park. Rocky cliffs and big waves, cliff walks, and another light house. Plus... the Lobster Shack which is probably the most beautiful place to eat a Lobster in the a world... I think I can safely say that without starting a big debate.. (google image?) That being said... I totally understand about not being able to relax when stressed about timing. It's close, but still a car drive away.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Minnesota
40 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by Cyber Kat
This ^^^^ seriously. I got the best shots from the ship! And we went there on our tour. It's on the port side as you sail in. I wasn't expecting it. I'm always up and out on our balcony coming into port!

We did the Portland by Land and Sea through Carnival and we enjoyed it. We had plenty of time after for walking along Commercial St.

The sea part was a sail on a schooner and it was lovely. We also sailed by the lighthouse. The company is Windjammer Sails. A 2 hour sail is $44 pp. It docked not far from the ship

You can purchase on their website portlandschooner.com

We would have checked out the Narrow Gauge RR but we did so much walking in Boston and DH had sore feet

There is a lovely park near there with great views. And also the Portland Observatory - you can go to the top. Kind of hard to tell how far it is on the map. We passed it on the bus part of the tour but didn't stop.

I had my lobster roll at Boone's with some good craft beer- close to the ship. Lots of shops, restaurants and bars along Commercial St

We loved Portland!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
We have a port side balcony this summer and are super excited about the idea of seeing the lighthouse from our room. Do you remember by any chance how early it would be? Would an hour before scheduled arrival be enough? Or earlier? Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Summit, 3-23-20, Southern Caribbean
Adventure of the Seas, Royal Caribbean, 6-29-18, New England and Canada
Celebrity Silhouette, 3-25-18, Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit, 3-27-17, Southern Caribbean
Sapphire Princess, 6-29-13, Voyage of the Glaciers
Southern California by way of Kentucky
22,097 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by pezie
Do any shops open early when the cruise ship is in port? We arrive at 7am. I plan on going to Holy Donut. Is there anything to do before 10am? The Victoria Mansion opens at 10am.
Holy Donut a perfect early starting spot.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
May 2018 Celebrity Eclipse: October 2017 RCI Anthem: March 2017 RCI Harmony: May 2016 RCI Adventure B2B: September 2015 RCI Radiance: March 2015 RCI Mariner: Oct 2014 RCI Jewel: May 2014 RCI Radiance: Oct 2013 RCI Oasis: May 2013 RCI Radiance: Feb 2012 PCL Sapphire: Aug 2011 RCI Liberty: Mar 2011 RCI Liberty: Aug 2010 RCI Jewel: Mar 2010 RCI Independance: May 2009 RCI Radiance: Jan 2009 RCI Independance: Oct 2007 RCI Vision: Oct 2006 RCI Vision: Oct 2005 RCI Vision: Oct 2004 RCI Vision: Aug 1997 RCI Viking Serenade: July 1995 RCI Viking Serenade: July 1994 RCI Viking Serenade: July 1985 Azure: June 1984 Azure:
Maine or at sea
13,933 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by chechya
We have a port side balcony this summer and are super excited about the idea of seeing the lighthouse from our room. Do you remember by any chance how early it would be? Would an hour before scheduled arrival be enough? Or earlier? Thanks!
An hour before docking would be plenty of time. You can probably get a good shot of Ram Island Ledge Light, which is basically a lighthouse on a tide washed rock in the middle of the bay.
Oxford, MS
2,935 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
OK I hate getting up early, but I think I'll have to take Chengkp75's suggestions for photos of the lighthouse. Got to write it in my notes!

Reading through all of this, I had an idea and I'm not sure if it exists. I'll cross check on TripAdvisor. Anyone know if there is a "Brewery Tour"? Might be fun for my mom and I to experience several of the local craft beers. Maybe she'll find something other than Guinness that won't give her the belches! LOL It would be something different since she's been to Portland before. Then everyone on the ship can laugh at us as we stagger back laughing our fool heads off.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Elation 2/16 (35th Class Reunion-bust)
Celebrity Millennium 06/13 (50th Birthday and first back to back two week vacation ever in Alaska)

Adventure of the Seas 04/10 (25th Anniversary and first one for the kids Southern Caribbean)
Celebrity Constellation 03/05 (20th Wedding Anniversary Cruise Southern Caribbean)
Crown Jewel 09/93 (get away from the boss part 2 Western Caribbean)
Crown Princess 11/91 (get away from the boss cruise Eastern Caribbean)
4,057 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by chechya

It was around sun up, which was around 6am

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kath ...

Upcoming Cruises

Viking Modi -Grand European- 9/17/18
Azamara Journey - Bermuda & the Old South - 4/10/19
Viking Sea - Eastern Seaboard Explorer - 9/26/19

Past cruises
Viking Sea - West Indies Explorer- 3/17/18
Carnival Sunshine - Canada & NE - 9/9/17
Viking Mani - Rhine Getaway - 8/26/16 - photos & review
Carnival Pride - Eastern Caribbean - 4/23/16 - photos
Carnival Pride - Eastern Caribbean - 6/14/15 review & photos
Carnival Splendor - Canada - 9/1/14 photos
Carnival Splendor - Eastern Caribbean -6/10/13 review & photos
Carnival Miracle - Eastern Caribbean - 6/7/11 photos
Carnival Victory - Canada 6/12/07 Photos
Carnival Legend - Eastern Caribbean - 6/5/06 - Fabulous! Photos -
Voyager of the Seas - Bermuda - 5/15/05
Carnival Legend - Cruise to Nowhere - 2004
Carnival Victory - Cruise to Nowhere - 2003
Carnival Triumph - Cruise to Nowhere - 2002

Maine or at sea
13,933 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Portland is a great craft brewery town. Shipyard Brewing is close to the terminal, and does a tour and tasting. There are not real tours of breweries, but you could catch a cab out to the Riverside Industrial area where there are Foundation, Austin Street, and Allagash breweries. Bissell Brothers is over at Thompson Point, along with a winery and a distillery. The Great Lost Bear is a bar that has over 70 craft beers on tap, some of which, like Sam Adams craft brews, are sold nowhere else in New England.
north west UK
331 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
The Maine Brew Bus offers a tour - it's located at 79 Commercial St, Portland, ME 04101. They offer a 3 hour tour incorporating 3 breweries and a savoury pie baked locally (to soak up some of the alcohol). Find them at themainebrewbus.com
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Minnesota
40 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by Cyber Kat
It was around sun up, which was around 6am

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Thanks so much for the info!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Minnesota
40 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by chengkp75
An hour before docking would be plenty of time. You can probably get a good shot of Ram Island Ledge Light, which is basically a lighthouse on a tide washed rock in the middle of the bay.
Thanks so much for the info!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bridgeport, CT, USA
3,009 Posts
Joined Dec 2000
Thanks so much for all the info! Starting to plan for my June cruise...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next Up:
Celebrity Infinity - November 10, 2018 (20th Anniversary!)

RCI Majesty of the Seas to Cuba - July 13. 2019

Been there, done that:

CCL Ecstasy 1/01
CCL Fascination 11/01, 4/03, 5/04
CCL Imagination 12/03, 4/07
CCL Sensation 07/11
CCL Victory 7/04, 7/07

HAL Noordam 2/07

NCL Dawn 5/05
NCL Majesty (honeymoon/first cruise) 11/98
NCL Star 7/12

RCI Adventure of the Seas 6/18
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 11/05, 2/06, 4/06, 2/07, 11/07, 4/08, 7/08, 7/09
RCI Explorer of the Seas 10/06, 10/07, 2/08
RCI Majesty of the Seas 8/03, 1/05, 1/06, 7/06, 1/09

RCI Radiance of the Seas 11/06

Maine or at sea
13,933 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Another thing I recently learned about is the Portland Fire Engine Co, that gives a tour of the entire Portland peninsula (the downtown area) in a vintage fire engine. Takes about an hour, $24, $22 seniors. I haven't tried it, but sounds good.